I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Eric Lowell Singman, M.D., Ph.D.
Chief, General Eye Service
Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology
Expertise: Brain Injury Rehabilitation, Double Vision, Ehlers Danlos Syndrome, Eye Pain, Headache, Lyme Disease, Neuro-Ophthalmology, Ophthalmology
Research Interests: telemedicine, eye trauma, tramautic optic neuropathy, neuromyelitis optica
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Wilmer Eye Institute
Appointment Phone: 410-955-5080
600 N. Wolfe Street
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Eric L. Singman, M.D., Ph.D., is an assistant professor of ophthalmology, division chief of the general eye service at the Wilmer Eye Institute, and founder/provider of the Wilmer Clinic for Vision Disorders after Brain Injury. He is board certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology and has subspecialty training in neuro-ophthalmology. His clinical expertise includes diagnosis of visual dysfunction after brain injury. Dr. Singman also has a particular interest in teaching health care providers to recognize the visual sequela of traumatic brain injury. His research interests have focused on automation of the eye exam.
Dr. Singman received his M.D. and Ph.D. (in neuroscience) at the SUNY Downstate School of Medicine. He completed his ophthalmology residency at SUNY Downstate and his neuro-ophthalmology fellowship training at the Kingsbrook Jewish Hospital. After his fellowship, Dr. Singman practiced neuro-ophthalmology for 14 years in Lancaster, Pennsylvania and was also an attending neuro-ophthalmologist at the Lancaster Rehabilitation Hospital, as well as at Sinai Hospital of Baltimore. Prior to joining the Wilmer faculty, Dr. Singman served as a subject matter expert for the neuro-ophthalmology of brain injury at the Department of Defense Vision Center of Excellence.
- Chief, General Eye Service
- Director, Vision After Brain Injury Clinic
- Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology
Centers & Institutes
- MD, SUNY at Brooklyn College of Medicine (1992)
- SUNY Downstate Medical Center College of Medicine / Ophthalmology (1996)
- Kingsbrook Jewish Medical Center / Ophthalmology (1997)
- American Board of Ophthalmology / Ophthalmology (1997)
Research & Publications
- National Disease and Therapeutic Index A long term survey of epidemiologic trends and treatment patterns. Panel Physician. (2009-present)
- Case-Crossover Study of PDE5 Inhibitor Exposure as a Potential "Trigger Factor" for Acute Nonarteritic Ischemic Optic Neuropathy. Pfizer S tudy A1481259. Principal Investigator. (2008-2011)
- Biomechanics of Traumatic optic neuropathy. Principal Investigator.
- Development of a human skull model via finite element analysis from de-identified CT data to explore the biomechanics of Indirect Traumatic Optic Neuropathy. Principal Investigator.
- Database review of Defense & Veteran's Eye Injury & Vision Registry (DVEIVR): Indirect Traumatic Optic Neuropathy (ITON). Principal Investigator.
- A Double-masked, Placebo-controlled Study with Open-label Period to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of MEDI-551 in Adult Subjects with Neuromyelitis Optica and Neuromyelitis Optica Spectrum Disorders. Study Team Member.
- A 3-year, multi-center study to evaluate optical coherence tomography as an outcome measure in patients with multiple sclerosis. Study Team Member.
- Benchmarking the Wilmer General Eye Services Clinic to Support Resident Education: Baseline Data for an Academic Outpatient Ophthalmology Clinic. Principal Investigator.
- A Survey of Ophthalmology Resident Training: Presence- and Perceived Value of a Resident-hosted Outpatient Clinic. Principal Investigator.
- Training Technicians to Evaluate Patients for Potential Angle Closure Glaucoma Prior to Pupil Dilation with Mydriatics: Reliability after Video-Training. Principal Investigator.
- Traumatic ocular injury of the anterior chamber: Missed findings on cross sectional imaging. Co-investigator.
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Singman EL*, Srikumaran D, Hackett K, Kaplan B, Preece D, Jun A, Ramulu P. Benchmarking the Wilmer General Eye Services clinics: Baseline metrics for surgical and outpatient clinic volume in an educational environment. BMC Med Ed. 2016. 16(9). http://bmcmededuc.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12909-016-0556-x [SI/QI]
Vakili S*, Pandit R, Singman EL, Appelbaum J, Boland MV. A comparison of commercial and custom-made electronic tracking systems to measure patient flow through an ambulatory clinic. Int J Health Geographics. 2015. 14(32):23-7. [SI/QI]
Singman EL*, Matta NS, Tian J, Silbert DI. Comparing visual acuity measured by Lea symbols and Patti Pics. Am Orthoptic Jrnl. January 2015. 65:94-8.
Singman EL*, Haberman CV, Appelbaum J, Tian J, Shafer K, Toerper M, Katz S, Kelsay M, Boland MV, n Greenbaum M, Adelman R, Thomas RC, Vakili S. Electronic Tracking of Patients in an Outpatient Ophthalmology Clinic to Improve Efficient Flow: A Feasibility Analysis and Benchmarking Study. Quality Health Care Management. 2015 Oct-Dec; 24(4):190-99. [SI/QI]
Singman EL, Gan Leung T. Master Techniques in Ophthalmic Surgery, 2nd ed. F. Hampton Roy and Renee Tindall, editors. Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishing, Philadelphia. 2015. Chapter 86, Section 9 (Iris & Ciliary Body) Intermediate Uveitis/Pars planitis pp. 595-600. 1125p.
Padula WV, Singman EL, Vicci V, Munitz R, Magrun M. Brain Injury Medicine: Principles and Practice, 2nd Ed. 2012; Zasler N, Katz D, Zafonte R (editors). Chapter 45: Evaluating and Treating Visual Dysfunction.
Activities & Honors
- Jonas Salk Research Scholarship, City of University New York, 1982 - 1985
- Sigma Chi Scientific Honor Society, 1982 - 1982
- Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society, 1982 - 1982
- Fellow to Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society, 1997 - 1997
- Pediatric Eye Disease Investigator Group (PEDIG) Performance Award, American Academy of Ophthalmology, 2003 - 2003
- Pediatric Eye Disease Investigator Group (PEDIG) Performance Award, American Academy of Ophthalmology, 2004 - 2004
- Pediatric Eye Disease Investigator Group (PEDIG) Performance Award, American Academy of Ophthalmology, 2006 - 2006
- American Academy of Ophthalmology, 1999
- North American Neuro-Ophthalmologic Society (NANOS), 2007
- The Coalition Against Pediatric Pain (TCAPP)
- American Society of Neuro-Rehabilitation, 2013 - 2013
- Pennsylvania Academy of Ophthalmology, 1997 - 2011
- American Medical Association, 1997 - 2000
- Chairperson, DoD Congressionally Directed Medical Research Programs, 2016 - 2016
- Peer Reviewer, Annals of Clinical and Translational Neurology, 2016 - 2016
- Peer Reviewer, Biomedical Central Ophthalmology, 2014 - 2016
- Peer Reviewer, Journal of Comparative Effectiveness Research, 2015 - 2015
- Peer Reviewer, Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science (Journal for Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology), 2012 - 2015
- Peer Reviewer, Concussion (a journal of Future Medicine, LTD), 2015 - 2015
- Scientific Peer Reviewer, DoD Congressionally Directed Medical Research Programs (CDMRP), Reston, VA, 2015 - 2015
- Peer Reviewer, Scientific Peer Advisory and Review Services for the American Institute of Biological Sciences (AIBS), US Army Medical Research and Materiel Command (USAMRMC), 2014 - 2014
- Member, Ocular Stakeholder Work Group, 2014 - 2014
Create an electronic health record that addresses vision issues after brain injury and can be linked to the Defense/Veterans Eye and Vision Information Registry (DVEIVR) database.
- Associate Editor, BMC Ophthalmology, 2014 - 2014
- Peer Reviewer, Lancet Neurology, 2013 - 2013
Videos & Media
Lectures and Presentations
Contributor , Ehlers Danlos Society International Symposium , New York (05/01/2016)
Neurology Working Group
- Keynote presentation , 1st Annual Symposium of the College of Optometrists for Vision Development , Canada, Ontario (05/01/2016)
A Comparison of Systems to Measure Patient Flow through Ambulatory Clinics
Poster , Johns Hopkins Medical Student Research Day (06/06/2015)
Benchmarking to support resident education: baseline data for academic outpatient ophthalmology
Poster , 13th Annual Educating the Educators 2016 , Ft. Lauderdale, FL (01/28/2015)
Association of University Professors of Ophthalmology program directors council
Normative data on pupil size and anisocoria in children
Poster , 36th Meeting of the European Strabismological Association , Marseille, France (09/04/2013)
Association between age, pupil size and anisocoria in children
Poster , Simposio Conjuncto ACOPE-AAPOS , Cartagena, Columbia (05/31/2013)