I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Irina Burd, M.D., Ph.D.
Director, Integrated Research Center for Fetal Medicine
Associate Professor of Gynecology and Obstetrics
Languages: English, Russian
Expertise: Fetal Cardiology, Gynecology and Obstetrics, High Risk OB, Multiple Gestations, Obstetrics, Pregnancy and Childbirth, Women's Reproductive Health ...read more
Research Interests: fetal brain development
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
Appointment Phone: 410-955-6700
601 N. Caroline St.
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Main Entrance)
Appointment Phone: 410-955-6700
1800 Orleans St.
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Irina Burd is an associate professor in the Johns Hopkins Medicine Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics. She holds a joint appointment in the Department of Neurology, where she also serves as associate professor. Her areas of clinical expertise include high-risk pregnancy conditions and fetal brain development. Dr. Burd was recruited to Johns Hopkins Medicine to spearhead the development of the field of fetal neurology. She is the founder and director of the Integrated Research Center for Fetal Medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and is the Director of the Fetal Neurosonology Program.
Dr. Burd earned her undergraduate degree from Rutgers University. She completed the combined M.D./Ph.D. program at Rutgers University-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School. She completed her residency in obstetrics and gynecology at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital and performed a fellowship in maternal-fetal medicine at the University of Pennsylvania. Dr. Burd joined the Johns Hopkins faculty in 2011.
Dr. Burd is a member of the Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine, the Society for Gynecologic Investigation and the Perinatal Research Society. She has published numerous peer-reviewed research articles and is the recipient of numerous honors, including the Ikaria Research Award from the Perinatal Research Society, a research award from the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology/American Association of Obstetricians and Gynecologists Foundation, the Thomas R. Boggs Jr. Research Award from the Philadelphia Perinatal Society, and the Passano Foundation Clinician Scientist Award. Dr. Burd is a recipient of a National Institutes of Health award to study the role of IL1β receptor in perinatal brain injury.
- Director, Integrated Research Center for Fetal Medicine
- Director, Maternal Fetal Medicine Fellowship
- Director, Fetal Neurosonology Program
- Associate Professor of Gynecology and Obstetrics
- Associate Professor of Neurology
Centers & Institutes
- MD PhD, Rutgers - Robert Wood Johnson Medical School (2003)
- Thomas Jefferson University Hospital / Obstetrics and Gynecology (2007)
- Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania - GME / Maternal & Fetal Medicine (2010)
Research & Publications
Dr. Burd developed a research program studying the pathogenesis of fetal brain injury with exposure to intrauterine inflammation. She studies prenatally used neuroprotective agents that could be used in utero to prevent cerebral palsy and a spectrum of neurobehavioral outcomes.
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Lei J, Xie L, Zhao H, Gard C, Clemens JL, McLane MW, Feller MC, Ozen M, Novak C, Alshehri W, Alhejaily N, Shabi Y, Rosenzweig JM, Facciabene A, Burd I. Maternal CD8+ T-cell depletion alleviates intrauterine inflammation-induced perinatal brain injury. Am J Reprod Immunol. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2017 Dec 4.
Vermillion M, Lei J, Shabi Y, Baxter V, Crilly N, McLane M, Griffin D, Pekosz A, Klein SL, Burd I. Intrauterine Zika virus infection of pregnant immunocompetent mice models transplacental transmission and adverse perinatal outcomes. Nat Commun 2017 Feb 21;8:14575.
Tsimis ME, Lei J, Rosenzweig JM, Arif H, Shabi Y, Alshehri W, Talbot CC, Baig-Ward KM, Segars J, Graham EM, Burd I. P2X7 receptor blockade prevents preterm birth and perinatal brain injury in a mouse model of intrauterine inflammation. Biol Reprod. 2017 Aug 1;97(2):230-239.
Lei J,Rosenzweig JM, Mishra M, Alshehri W, Brancusi F, McLane M, Almalki A, Bahabry R, Arif H, Rozzah R, Alyousif G, Shabi Y, Alhehaily N, Zhong W, Facciabene A, Kannan S, Kannan RM, Burd I. Maternal dendrimer-based therapy for inflammation-induced preterm birth and perinatal brain injury. Sci Rep. 2017 Jul 21;7(1):6106.
Leitner K, Al Shammary M, McLane M, Johnston M, Elovitz M, Burd I. IL-1 receptor blockade prevents fetal cortical brain injury but not preterm birth in a mouse model of inflammation-induced preterm birth and perinatal brain injury. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2014 May;71(5):418-26. doi: 10.1111/aji.12216.
Academic Affiliations & Courses
Graduate Program Affiliation
Activities & Honors
- Super Doctors Rising Star, Maryland, Virginia and Washington DC area, Washington Post, 2013
- Passano Foundation Clinician Scientist Award, 2012
- Johns Hopkins University Clinician Scientist Award, 2012
- Pfizer SGI President’s Award, Society for Gynecologic Investigation, 2011
- Thomas Boggs Award (Philadelphia Perinatal Society), 2010
- Ikaria Early Career Investigator Award (The Perinatal Research Society), 2010
- American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology/American Association of Obstetricians and Gynecologists Foundation (ABOG/AAOGF) Scholar, 2009 - 2012
- Howard Lees Kent Memorial Prize for Outstanding Scholarship, Thomas Jefferson University, 2007
- Research Award, Thomas Jefferson University, 2007
- S. Leon Israel Award for Excellence in Research (Obstetrical Society of Philadelphia), 2006
- Administrative Chief, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 2006
- Berlex Best Teaching Resident Award, 2005
- Arnold P. Gold Foundation Resident Award for Humanism in Medicine and Excellence in Teaching, 2005
- American College of Surgeons Certificate of Appreciation for Exemplary Teaching, 2005
- Jefferson Ob-Gyn Excellence in Teaching Awards, 2003 - 2005
- UMDNJ Academic Excellence in Obstetrics and Gynecology Award, 2003
- President, Gold Humanism in Medicine Honor Society, 2002
- UMDNJ- RWJMS Research Achievement Award, 2002
- Honorable Mention Manuscript, Residency Competition, 2002
- Merck/AFAR Scholarship in Pharmacology of Aging, 1998
Videos & Media
Innovation, Education, Collaboration
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
- Study Links Zika Virus to Joint Problems in Babies, USA Today (08/2016)
- Update on the Spread of the Zika Virus in the U.S., The Diane Rehm Show (08/2016)
- CDC: Zika Passed from Woman to Man via Sex, The Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (07/2016)
- Pregnant Mums Who Catch Flu Could be Putting their Unborn Child at Risk, The Daily Express (U.K.) (06/2016)
- Drop in Birth Defects Slowed After Folic Acid Fortification, Reuters (05/2016)
- Kate Middleton Suffering from Hyperemesis Gravidarum. What Does It Mean? Yahoo Health (10/2014)
- Pregnant Women's Immune Response May Be Linked to Autism in Babies, UPI (02/2014)