I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Hartmut Schneider, M.D., Ph.D.
Laboratry Director of the Johns Hopkins Bayview Sleep Disorders Center
Associate Professor of Medicine
Research Interests: Sleep related respiratory disorders; Obstructive sleep apnea
I have more than 20 years experience in sleep medicine and respiratory physiology during sleep. My clinical background in internal and pulmonary medicine combined with my in-depth understanding of the mechanics of the upper airway led to development of several diagnostic and therapeutic inventions for managing patients with obstructive sleep apnea and COPD. The most recent invention includes a disposable pneumotachometer and a device for nasal air insufflations (NI) - both of which are in clinical use. The development of the disposable pneumotachometer was supported through a fast track SBIR (R44 HL091687), aiming to quantify upper airway obstruction and ventilatory disturbances during sleep. Our group has succeeded in validating the disposable flow sensor and have developed a conceptual approach for deploying this sensor to quantify ventilatory loads during sleep in patients with chronic lung disease. The recognized value of these inventions is best illustrated by the awarded, RO1 (HL105546) and 2 recently K23 and AHA grants of my colleagues Dr McGinley and Dr. Kirkness. Recently I developed the conceptual and technical approach of utilizing both sleep and nasal insufflation treatment during sleep to reduce metabolic demand in patients with CF. The findings lay down the foundations for conducting a clinical trial to slow down pulmonary cachexia....read more
- Laboratry Director of the Johns Hopkins Bayview Sleep Disorders Center
- Associate Professor of Medicine
- M.D., Medicine Fak Der Philipps University - Marburg Lahn - Hessen (Germany) (1991)
- Internal Medicine
- Sleep Medicine
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- Trambas CM, Bain C, Schneider HG. Gender differences in cardiac troponin I. Pathology. 2014 Feb;46 Suppl 1:S51-2. doi: 10.1097/01.PAT.0000443511.47086.15. PMID: 24457785
- Schneider HG. Point of care (poc) troponin testing in the peripheral hospital. Pathology. 2014 Feb;46 Suppl 1:S13-4. doi: 10.1097/01.PAT.0000443439.99077.3d. PMID: 24457702
- Theparambil SM, Ruminot I, Schneider HP, Shull GE, Deitmer JW. The Electrogenic Sodium Bicarbonate Cotransporter NBCe1 Is a High-Affinity Bicarbonate Carrier in Cortical Astrocytes. J Neurosci. 2014 Jan 22;34(4):1148-57. doi: 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.2377-13.2014. PMID: 24453308
- Backhoff D, Steinmetz M, Sigler M, Schneider H. Formation of multiple conduit aneurysms following Matrix P(R) conduit implantation in a boy with tetralogy of Fallot and pulmonary atresia. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2014 Jan 20. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24448074
- Riz M, Pedersen MG, Toffolo GM, Haschke G, Schneider HC, Klabunde T, Margerie D, Cobelli C. Minimal modeling of insulin secretion in the perfused rat pancreas: a drug effect case study. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2014 Jan 14. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24425760
- Kowalczyk-Quintas C, Willen L, Dang AT, Sarrasin H, Tardivel A, Hermes K, Schneider H, Gaide O, Donzé O, Kirby N, Headon DJ, Schneider P. Generation and Characterization of Function Blocking Anti-Ectodysplasin A (EDA) Monoclonal Antibodies that Induce Ectodermal Dysplasia. J Biol Chem. 2014 Jan 3. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24391090
- Handschick K, Beuerlein K, Jurida L, Bartkuhn M, Müller H, Soelch J, Weber A, Dittrich-Breiholz O, Schneider H, Scharfe M, Jarek M, Stellzig J, Schmitz ML, Kracht M. Cyclin-Dependent Kinase 6 Is a Chromatin-Bound Cofactor for NF-κB-Dependent Gene Expression. Mol Cell. 2013 Dec 31. pii: S1097-2765(13)00870-8. doi: 10.1016/j.molcel.2013.12.002. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24389100
- Khong JJ, Goldstein RF, Sanders KM, Schneider H, Pope J, Burdon KP, Craig JE, Ebeling PR. Serum selenium status in Graves' disease with and without orbitopathy: a case-control study. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2013 Dec 20. doi: 10.1111/cen.12392. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24372054
- Yu Y, Heinrichs J, Zhu RL, Schneider H. Empirical Evidence Supporting Frequent Cryptic Speciation in Epiphyllous Liverworts: A Case Study of the Cololejeunea lanciloba Complex. PLoS One. 2013 Dec 18;8(12):e84124. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0084124. eCollection 2013. PMID: 24367634 [PubMed - in process]
- Heinrichs J, Dong S, Schäfer-Verwimp A, Pócs T, Feldberg K, Czumaj A, Schmidt AR, Reitner J, Renner MA, Hentschel J, Stech M, Schneider H. Molecular phylogeny of the leafy liverwort lejeunea (porellales): evidence for a neotropical origin, uneven distribution of sexual systems and insufficient taxonomy. PLoS One. 2013 Dec 18;8(12):e82547. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0082547. eCollection 2013. PMID: 24367522
Contact for Research Inquiries