I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Richard B. Markham, M.D.
Joint Appointment in Medicine
Research Interests: Molecular microbiology; Immunology; Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV); HIV pathogenesis; HIV evolution; Severe combined immunodeficiency (SCID); SCID mouse; Microbicide; Vaccine; Malaria; DNA; Electroporation; Dendritic cells; Chemokine ...read more
Dr. Richard B. Markham holds a joint appointment in medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He is a professor of molecular microbiology and immunology at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. His research focuses on the pathogenesis and evolution of HIV, severe combined immunodeficiency (SCID), microbicides and vaccines, particularly for malaria.
Among Dr. Markham’s many professional honors, he holds a patent related to the treatment of malaria and co-holds a patent related to preventing the transepithelial transmission of HIV. He is a fellow of the Infectious Disease Society of America.
Dr. Markham earned his M.D. from the Albert Einstein College of Medicine.
- Joint Appointment in Medicine
Research & Publications
Dr. Markham’s laboratory has focused recently on the development of a novel vaccine platform that has demonstrated an ability to elicit profoundly elevated and sustained humoral and cell-mediated immune responses. The initial target for this platform has been malaria.
Du J, Zheng B, Zheng W, Li P, Kang J, Hou J, Markham R, Zhao K, Yu XF. "Analysis of enterovirus 68 strains from the 2014 North American outbreak reveals a new clade, indicating viral evolution." PLoS One. 2015 Dec 2;10(12):e0144208. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0144208. eCollection 2015.
Guedon JT, Luo K, Zhang H, Markham RB. "Monoclonal and single domain antibodies targeting β-integrin subunits block sexual transmission of HIV-1 in in vitro and in vivo model systems." J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2015 Jul 1;69(3):278-85. doi: 10.1097/QAI.0000000000000609.
Liu X, Guo H, Wang H, Markham R, Wei W, Yu XF. "HIV-1 Vpr suppresses the cytomegalovirus promoter in a CRL4(DCAF1) E3 ligase independent manner." Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2015 Apr 3;459(2):214-9. doi: 10.1016/j.bbrc.2015.02.060. Epub 2015 Feb 19.
Geoghegan EM, Zhang H, Desai PJ, Biragyn A, Markham RB. "Antiviral activity of a single-domain antibody immunotoxin binding to glycoprotein D of herpes simplex virus 2." Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2015 Jan;59(1):527-35. doi: 10.1128/AAC.03818-14. Epub 2014 Nov 10.
Wei W, Guo H, Li J, Ren S, Wei Z, Bao W, Hu X, Zhao K, Zhang W, Zhou Y, Sun F, Markham R, Yu XF. "Circulating HFMD-associated coxsackievirus A16 is genetically and phenotypically distinct from the prototype CV-A16." PLoS One. 2014 Apr 15;9(4):e94746. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0094746. eCollection 2014.
Luo K, Zhang H, Zavala F, Biragyn A, Espinosa DA, Markham RB. "Fusion of antigen to a dendritic cell targeting chemokine combined with adjuvant yields a malaria DNA vaccine with enhanced protective capabilities." PLoS One. 2014 Mar 5;9(3):e90413. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0090413. eCollection 2014.
Methods and Compositions for Treating Malaria
Patent # U.S. Patent 8,557,248 | 01/01/2013
Compositions and Methods for Preventing Transepithelial Transmission of HIV
Patent # U.S. Patent 6,566,095 | 01/01/2000
Richard Markham and Kristen Khanna, inventors
Academic Affiliations & Courses
Courses and Syllabi
Evolution of Infectious Disease
Activities & Honors
- Invited Speaker, Workshop on the Development of New Program Areas for the Division of Basic Research, National Institute on Drug Abuse, 1997
- Fellow, Infectious Disease Society of America, 1988
- Member, Review Panel on Cohort Studies of HIV/AIDS and Substance Abuse, National Institutes of Health, 2013
- Chair, Special Emphasis Panel on HIV Microbicides and Prevention, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, 2009
- Member, Advisory Panel to Evaluate DOD Programs for Engagement of Non-Russian Former Biowarfare Scientists, American Association for the Advancement of Science, 2005
- Chair, NIAID Special Emphasis Panel to Review Program Project Proposal on Recombination, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, 2004
- Chair, Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome Research Review Committee, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, 2001
- Member, Women's Interagency HIV Study Program Review Committee, National Institutes of Health, 1996
- Chair, Grant Review Committee, Agency for International Development, 1993