I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Alison E. Turnbull, D.V.M., M.P.H., Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Research Interests: Epidemiology; Palliative care; Medical decision-making; ICU; post-ICU outcomes
Dr. Alison E. Turnbull is an assistant professor of medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. She also holds a joint appointment in epidemiology at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. Her research focuses on interactions between the clinicians and families who care for people receiving intensive care.
Dr. Turnbull received her B.A. in biology from Carleton College. She earned her D.V.M. and M.P.H. from Tufts University. She completed her Ph.D. in epidemiology at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. Dr. Turnbull joined the Johns Hopkins faculty in 2014.
- Assistant Professor of Medicine
- D.V.M., Tufts University Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine - N. Grafton (Massachusetts) (2006)
- M.P.H., Tufts University School of Medicine (Massachusetts) (2006)
- Ph.D., Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (Maryland) (2013)
Research & Publications
Dr. Turnbull’s research focuses on interactions between the families and clinicians of critically ill patients. Her lab studies shared decision-making during critical illness.
Lab Website: Alison E. Turnbull Lab
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Turnbull AE, Hayes MM, Brower RG, Colantuoni E, Sharma Basyal P, White DB, Curtis JR, Needham DM. The effect of documenting prognosis on the information provided to ICU proxies: A randomized trial. Critical Care Medicine. 2019; 47(6):757-764.
Turnbull AE, Sahetya SK, Daugherty Biddison EL, Hartog CS, Rubenfeld GD, Benoit DD, Guidet B, Gerritsen RT, Tonelli MR, Curtis JR. Competing and conflicting interests in the care of critically ill patients. Intensive Care Medicine. 2018. 44(10):1628-1637.
Turnbull AE, Rabiee A, Davis WE, Nasser MF, Venna VR, Lolitha R, Hopkins RO, Bienvenu OJ, Robinson KA, Needham DM. Outcome Measurement in ICU Survivorship Research from 1970-2013: A Scoping Review of 425 Publications. Critical Care Medicine. 2016;44(7):1267-1277.
Turnbull AE, Chessare CM, Coffin, RK, Needham DM. A brief intervention for preparing ICU families to be proxies: A phase I study. PLoS ONE. 2017;12(10):e0185483
Turnbull AE, Hartog, CS. Goal-concordant care in the ICU: a conceptual framework for future research. Intensive Care Medicine. 2017;43:1847-1849.
Academic Affiliations & Courses
Courses and Syllabi
Math, Money, and the Mind: Controversies in Medical Decision Making
2012 - 2012
Activities & Honors
- Delta Omega Public Health Honor Society, 2014
- American Thoracic Society International Conference Abstract Scholarship, Assembly on Critical Care, 2014
- Dean’s Teaching Fellowship, Johns Hopkins University, 2012 - 2013
- Johns Hopkins Sommer Scholar, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2010 - 2013
- Doctoral Seminar Award for Scholarship, Creativity, and Conversational Courage, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health Department of Epidemiology, 2010
- Robert Dyar Memorial Award, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health Department of Epidemiology, 2008
- The Agnes Varis Scholarship, Tufts School of Veterinary Medicine, 2004 - 2005
- Annals of the American Thoracic Society 2019 Top Reviewer Award, ATS, 2019