I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Christopher Joseph Abularrage, M.D.
The Bertram M. Bernheim Associate Professor of Surgery
Associate Professor of Surgery
Expertise: Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA), Aneurysms, Angioplasty, Aortic Aneurysms, Aortic Stent-Grafts/Endografts, Aortic Surgery, Arterial Aneurysm, Arterial Occlusive Disease, Atherosclerosis, Carotid Artery Disease, Carotid Artery Stenosis, Carotid Artery Stenting, Carotid Body Tumors, Carotid Endarterectomy, Chronic Total Occlusions, Claudication, Diabetes, Diabetes and Heart Research, Diabetic Foot Care, Diabetic Foot Ulcers, Diabetic Wound Care , Emboli-Protection Devices, Endovascular Interventions, Endovascular Surgery, Endovascular Therapies, Extractional Atherectomy, General Vascular Surgery, Intermittent Claudication, Laser Atherectomy, Limb Salvage Surgery, Lower Extremity Angioplasty, Lower Extremity Revascularization, Lower Extremity Stenting, Mesenteric Arterial Insufficiency, Minimally Invasive Endovascular Aneurysm Repair, Minimally Invasive Interventions, Non-Invasive Flow Studies (NIFS), Peripheral Angiography, Peripheral Arterial Aneurysms, Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD), Peripheral Vascular Disease, Redo Lower Extremity Vascular Reconstruction, Renal Artery Disease, Renal Vascular Disease, Rotational Atherectomy, Stenting, Stroke, Thoracic Aortic Aneurysms, Thoracic Imaging, Thoracic Surgery, Treatment of Bypass Graft Disease with Distal Protection Devices, Vascular Disease , Vascular Surgery, Venous Thromboembolism, Visceral Angioplasty, Visceral Stenting, Visceral Vessel Reconstruction ...read more
Research Interests: Diabetic peripheral arterial disease; Outcomes research; Peripheral endovascular interventions
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
Appointment Phone: 410-955-5165
601 N. Caroline St.
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Abularrage specializes in vascular and endovascular surgery, with a specific interest in minimally invasive techniques for lower extremity peripheral arterial disease and aneurysm repair.
His clinical interests include limb preservation, Diabetic peripheral arterial disease and limb salvage, aortic aneurysms, endovascular aneurysm repair, visceral stents and bypass, and carotid stents and carotid endarterectomy.
Dr. Abularrage is an active researcher within the department and has published widely on outcomes research using large, national databases. Recently, Dr. Abularrage and his team have published their outcomes of patients treated in the Multidisciplinary Diabetic Foot & Wound Clinic, showing significantly lower amputation rates compared to national benchmarks.
Dr. Abularrage is a distinguished fellow to the Society of the American Board of Surgery, and recipient of the Zehner Award and the R. Clement Darling, Jr. Award. He is nationally renowned for his work in Diabetic peripheral arterial disease and limb preservation.
- The Bertram M. Bernheim Associate Professor of Surgery
- Director, Diabetic Foot and Wound Clinic
- Fellowship Program Director, Vascular Surgery & Endovascular Therapy
- Associate Professor of Surgery
Departments / Divisions
- Surgery - Vascular Surgery and Endovascular Therapy
- MD, Georgetown University School of Medicine (2001)
- MedStar Georgetown University Medical Center / General Surgery (2008)
- Massachusetts General Hospital / Vascular Surgery (2010)
- American Board of Surgery / Surgery (2008)
- American Board of Surgery / Vascular Surgery (2011)
Research & Publications
Activities & Honors
- R. Clement Darling Jr. Award, New England Society for Vascular Surgery
- Zehner Award, Washington D.C. Chapter of the American College of Surgeons
- Alpha Omega Alpha (National Medical Honor Society)
- Phi Beta Kappa (National Honor Society)
- Society of the American Board of Surgery
- Society for Vascular Surgery
- The Eastern Vascular Society
- Society for Clinical Vascular Surgery
- Association for Academic Surgery
Videos & Media
About Abdominal Aortic and Thoracic Aneurysms
Meet our Experts - Dr. Christopher Abularrage
Dr. Abularrage is a vascular surgeon whose primary clinical focus is caring for patients were peripheral vascular disease as well as those needing care for diabetic foot ulcers.