I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Stuart W. Leslie, Ph.D.
Joint Appointment in History of Medicine
Research Interests: History of medicine; History of science; Science-based industry
Dr. Stuart W. Leslie holds a joint appointment in the history of medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He is a professor of the history of science at the Johns Hopkins Krieger School of Arts & Sciences. His research focuses on the history of technology and the history of science-based industry.
Dr. Leslie is currently writing a book about the definitive history of the Johns Hopkins University, a volume that will cover all divisions of the university. The book is projected for completion in 2018.
He completed his undergraduate degree in history from Carleton College. He earned his M.A. and Ph.D. in history from the University of Delaware. Dr. Leslie came to the Johns Hopkins University as a post-doctoral fellow in 1981 and joined the Johns Hopkins faculty in 1984.
Dr. Leslie is a member of several professional organizations, including the Society of Architectural Historians and the Society for the History of Technology. His work has been recognized with awards from the Society for the History of Technology, IEEE and the History of Science Society.
- Joint Appointment in History of Medicine
Departments / Divisions
Activities & Honors
- Allan Nevins Prize, Economic History Association
- Abbott Payson Usher Prize, Society for the History of Technology (SHOT)
- Thomas Newcomen Award, Business History Society
- IEEE Life Membersí Prize, IEEE/SHOT
- Derek Price/Rod Webster Prize, History of Science Society
- George Owen Distinguished Teaching Award, Johns Hopkins University
- President’s Cup Distinguished Teaching Award
- Society of Architectural Historians
- History of Science Society, Advisory Editor, Price/Webster Prize Committee Chairman, 2008
- Society for the History of Technology (SHOT)
- Secretary, SHOT, 2000 - 2004
- Executive Council, SHOT, 1993 - 1996
- Dexter Prize Committee Chairman, SHOT, 1989 - 1989
- Program Chairman, SHOT, 1982 - 1982
- Department Chair, History of Science Department, Johns Hopkins University, 1993
- Department Chair, History of Science Department, Johns Hopkins University, 1999