I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Patrick Finan, Ph.D.
Patrick Hamilton Finan, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Expertise: Behavioral Medicine, Psychologist
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 410-550-0588
4940 Eastern Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
I am interested in the biobehavioral features of emotion regulation in individuals with chronic pain. A major focus of my research to date has centered on the measurement and analysis of dynamic measures of pain and emotion captured in the course of daily life. We employ laboratory tools, such as quantitative sensory testing and sleep deprivation, to investigate the reproducibility of information gathered in daily life. We are currently developing behavioral (e.g., sleep behaviors) and neurobiological (e.g., dopaminergic neurotransmission) models to understand the influence of positive emotion and reward processing on pain sensitivity and coping with chronic pain. In the long term, our aim is to improve treatment options for individuals with chronic pain, including those with comorbid substance use disorders.
- Assistant Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Departments / Divisions
- PhD, Arizona State University (2011)
Research & Publications
- Finan, P.H., Goodin, B., & Smith, M.T. (2013). The association of sleep and pain: An update and a path forward. Journal of Pain, 14, 1539-1552.
- Finan, P.H. & Smith, M.T. (2013). The comorbidity of insomnia, chronic pain, and depression: Dopamine as a putative mechanism. Sleep Medicine Reviews, 17, 173-183
- Finan, P.H., Buenaver, L.F., Bounds, S.C., Hussain, S., Park, R.J., Haque, U.J., Campbell, C.M., Haythornthwaite, J.A., Edwards, R.R., & Smith, M.T. (2013). Quantitative sensory tests of central sensitization are associated with discordance between pain and radiographic severity in knee osteoarthritis. Arthritis & Rheumatism, 65, 363-372.
- Finan, P.H., Zautra, A.J., Davis, M.C., Lemery-Chalfant, K., Covault, J., & Tennen, H. (2011). COMT moderates the relation of daily maladaptive coping and pain in fibromyalgia. Pain, 152, 300-307.
- Finan, P.H., Zautra, A.J., Davis, M.C., Lemery-Chalfant, K., Covault, J., & Tennen, H. (2010). Genetic influences on the dynamics of pain and affect in fibromyalgia. Health Psychology, 29, 134-142.