I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Hiroshi Ashikaga, M.D., Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Medicine
Languages: English, Japanese
Expertise: Arrhythmia, Atrial Fibrillation, Atrial Flutter, Bradycardia, Cardiac Electrophysiology, Cardiology, Cardiovascular Diseases, Cardiovascular MRI, Cardioversion, Catheter Ablation Therapy, Defibrillators, Device Therapy, Heart Block, Heart Disease, Heart Failure, Implantable Cardioverter-Defibrillator Therapy, Irregular Heartbeat, Pacemakers, Palpitations, Paroxysmal Supraventricular Tachycardia, Sudden Cardiac Death, Supraventricular Tachycardia, Syncope, Tachycardias, Tilt Table Test, Ventricular Arrhythmias, Wolff-Parkinson-White (WPW) Syndrome ...read more
Research Interests: Information theory for complex systems; mathematical modeling; medical imaging physics; continuum mechanics; and computational fluid dynamics (CFD) ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
APPOINTMENT PHONE: 443-997-0270
600 N. Wolfe Street Carnegie 568 Baltimore, MD 21287
Phone: 410-502-7861 | Fax: 410-502-0231
Johns Hopkins Cardiology - GBMC
APPOINTMENT PHONE: 443-997-0270
6701 N. Charles Street Suite 5104 Baltimore, MD 21204
Phone: 443-849-8989 | Fax: 443-849-8988
Dr. Ashikaga received an M.D. and a Ph.D. degrees from the University of Tokyo, Japan. He completed his cardiology and cardiac electrophysiology training at the Johns Hopkins Hospital. He received his scientific training at the University of California, San Diego, the National Institutes of Health, and the Santa Fe Institute.
- Associate Professor of Medicine
Centers & Institutes
- MD, University of Tokyo (1996)
- University of Tokyo / Internal Medicine (1997)
- Mount Sinai Beth Israel Medical Center / Internal Medicine (2001)
- University of California San Diego School of Medicine / Cardiology (2002)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Cardiology (2010)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Cardiac Electrophysiology (2012)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Cardiovascular Disease (2010)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology (2012)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (2000)
Research & Publications
Dr. Ashikaga's research specializes in multidisciplinary approaches to studying the heart at the intersection of applied mathematics, statistical physics and computer science. His laboratory focuses on elucidating fundamental mechanisms of atrial fibrillation, which is a powerful risk factor of stroke, dementia, myocardial infarction, and death, and exploiting that knowledge to develop and evaluate novel interventional therapies. Dr. Ashikaga has a unique advantage for multidisciplinary research due to his ability to understand and speak the language of biological, quantitative and clinical sciences. His publication record demonstrates examples of successful multidisciplinary collaborations. Dr. Ashikaga's publications can be downloaded from his laboratory website (https://www.hiroshiashikaga.org/).
Lab Website: Ashikaga Lab
Activities & Honors
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, Western States Affiliate, American Heart Association, 2002
- Travel Award, American Federation for Medical Research, 2003
- Travel Award, American College of Cardiology, 2003
- Fellowship Award, Astellas USA Foundation, 2006
- Finalist and Honorable Mention, Young Investigator Award, Heart Rhythm Society, 2006
- Elite Reviewer, Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 2006
- Howard S. Silverman Research Award, Johns Hopkins University, 2010
- Winner, Young Investigator Award, Asia-Pacific Heart Rhythm Society, 2011
- Finalist, Melvin Judkins Young Clinical Investigator Award, American Heart Association, 2011
- Fellow, Heart Rhythm Society (FHRS), 2014
- Visiting Scholar, Kavli Institute of Theoretical Physics, Santa Barbara, CA, 2018
- Visiting Scholar, LIRYC: L'Institut de RYthmologie et Modélisation Cardiaque, University of Bordeaux, France, 2018
- Fellow, American Heart Association (FAHA), 2018
- American Physical Society
- Society for Applied and Industrial Mathematics
- American Heart Association
- Heart Rhythm Society