I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Ashish Nimgaonkar, M.D.
Associate Medical Director, Center for Bioengineering Innovation and Design, Department of Biomedical Engineering
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Languages: English, Hindi
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Dr. Nimgaonkar is gastroenterologist and a medical technology researcher at Johns Hopkins University. He is an assistant professor of medicine, a medical director at the Center for Bioengineering Innovation and Design in the JHU Biomedical Engineering department and an adjunct faculty at the JHU Carey Business School. He leads numerous translational technology research projects at Johns Hopkins in the areas of gastrointestinal and metabolic diseases. His particular interest is to investigate the physiology behind various interventions to treat metabolic diseases such as diabetes and obesity and apply various engineering tools to develop novel therapies for these diseases.
He has been inventor on many technologies and a recipient of numerous awards including the AGA-Boston Scientific career development technology & innovation award and the CIMIT-Johnson & Johnson Young Clinician award. His work has been supported by grants from both foundational ?and federal (NIH, NSF) agencies.
- Associate Medical Director, Center for Bioengineering Innovation and Design, Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Assistant Professor of Medicine
- MBBS, Osmania Medical College Osmania University (1998)
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center / Internal Medicine (2008)
- Stanford University School of Medicine / Gastroenterology (2012)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Gastroenterology (2012)
Activities & Honors
- American Gastroenterology Association - Career Development Technology and Innovation Award, 2014
- NIH Clinical and Translational Science Award, 2011
- National Collegiate Inventors and Innovators Alliance Award, 2011
- Johnson & Johnson Young Clinician Research Award, 2008
- Young Scientist Award and Hansraj-Nayyar Memorial Award, 2001
- National Talent Search Award, 1990
Videos & Media
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
AGA - Boston Scientific Career Development Technology & Innovation Award, News Medical (December 5, 2014)
Update on AGA - Boston Scientific Career Development Technology & Innovation Award, GI & Hepatology News (April 6, 2015)
Pumped, Inside Tract (Winter 2016)
Advanced POC Testing Devices Open New Avenues for Diagnostics, GEN Exclusives (November 22, 2016)
A Multi-Biomarker Blood Test Clinically-Proven for Early Detection of Col0rectal Cancer PRWeb (May 2, 2017)
Bypassing Bypass Surgery, Inside Tract (Spring 2017)
Despite Theranos, Real, Capital-Efficient Innovation Exists For Blood Tests, Life Science Leader (June 28, 2018)
A Pill to Treat Diabetes, Scientific American (November 21, 2017)