I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Robert D Foss, D.D.S.
Expertise: Dermatology, Maxillofacial Surgery, Oral Pathology, Salivary Gland Tumors
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
600 N. Wolfe Street
Sheikh Zayed Tower Suite 907
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Robert Foss’s areas of clinical expertise include dermatology, maxillofacial surgery and oral pathology.
He received his B.A. in biology from Lawrence University. He earned his D.D.S. from the University of Maryland School of Dentistry and completed his residency in oral pathology at Naval Postgraduate Dental School. He also received an M.S. in molecular pathobiology at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences. Dr. Foss joined the Johns Hopkins faculty in 2014.
Prior to joining Johns Hopkins, Dr. Foss was a professor at the Postgraduate Dental College of the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences. He also previously served as chairman of the oral and maxillofacial pathology department at the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology in Washington, DC.
Dr. Foss serves on the editorial board of Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology and Head and Neck Pathology. He is a diplomate of the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology and a member of the American Dental Association.
- DDS; Dentistry, University of Maryland School of Dentistry (1984)
- Naval Postgraduate Dental School / Oral Pathology (1991)
- American Board of Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology / Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology (1993)
Research & Publications
Liang Q, Wei M, Hodge L, Fanburg-Smith JC, Nelson A, Miettinen M, Foss RD, Wang G. "Quantitative analysis of activating alpha subunit of the g protein (gsα) mutation by pyrosequencing in fibrous dysplasia and other bone lesions." J Mol Diagn. 2011;13:137-42
Welch PQ, Williams SB, Foss RD, Tomaszewski MM, Gupta A, Ojha J. "Lymphoepithelioma-like carcinoma of head and neck skin: a systematic analysis of 11 cases and review of literature." Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2011;111:78-86
Wael A-D, Lasota J, Foss RD, Miettinen, M. "Synovial sarcoma involving the head – analysis of 36 cases with predilection to the parotid and temporal regions." Am J Surg Pathol. 2009;33:1494-1503
Folk GS, Williams SB, Foss RD, Fanburg-Smith JC. "Oral and maxillofacial sclerosing epithelioid fibroscarcoma: report of five cases." Head and Neck Pathol. 2007;1:13-20
Folk GS, Abbondanzo SL, Childers EL, Foss RD. "Plasmablastic lymphoma: a clinicopathologic correlation." Ann Diagn Pathol. 2006;10:8-12
Activities & Honors
- Diplomate, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology
- Meritorious Service Medal, Surgeon General, United States Navy Dental Corps, 2014
- Defense Superior Service Medal, Secretary of Defense, 2011
- American Dental Association, 2011
- Fellow, American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology, 1990
- Editorial Board, Head and Neck Pathology, 2013
- Director, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology, 2012
- Editorial Board, Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology, 2010