I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Jennifer Kim Lee-Summers, M.D.
Associate Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
Languages: English, Spanish
Dr. Jennifer K. Lee (Lee-Summers) is an Associate Professor in the Johns Hopkins Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care medicine, Division of Pediatric Anesthesiology.
She works clinically and also conducts brain research. Her research is focused on reducing the risk of permanent neurologic injury in babies and children who experience birth injury or cardiac arrest. Dr. Lee leads translational research on cerebrovascular blood pressure autoregulation, the effects of hypothermia and rewarming, cell death mechanisms, proteostasis, and white matter injury in clinical and laboratory studies. Her research has been funded by the NIH and several foundations, including the American Heart Association, International Anesthesia Research Society, and the Foundation for Anesthesia Education and Research.
Dr. Lee received her undergraduate degree in environmental, population and organismic biology from the University of Colorado – Boulder and her medical degree from Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. She completed an internship and residency in pediatrics and a residency in anesthesiology at Johns Hopkins. Dr. Lee then performed fellowships in pediatric anesthesiology and pediatric critical care medicine, both at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. She joined the Johns Hopkins faculty in 2010.
- Associate Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
- Associate Professor of Pediatrics
Centers & Institutes
- MD, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (2002)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Pediatrics (2005)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine (2008)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine (2009)
- American Board of Anesthesiology / Anesthesiology (2009)
- American Board of Anesthesiology / Pediatric Anesthesiology (2013)
Research & Publications
Santos PT, O’Brien CE, Chen MW, Hopkins CD, Adams S, Kulikowicz E, Singh R, Koehler RC, Martin LJ, Lee JK. Proteasome biology is compromised in white matter after asphyxic cardiac arrest in neonatal piglets. J Am Heart Assoc 2018; 7: e009415.
Lee JK, Poretti A, Perin J, Huisman TAGM, Parkinson C, Chavez-Valdez R, O’Connor M, Reyes M, Armstrong J, Jennings JM, Gilmore MM, Koehler RC, Northington FJ, Tekes A. Optimizing cerebral autoregulation may decrease neonatal regional hypoxic-ischemic brain injury. Dev Neurosci 2017; 39:248-256.
Lee JK, Williams M, Reyes M, Ahn ES. Cerebrovascular blood pressure autoregulation monitoring and postoperative transient ischemic attack in pediatric moyamoya vasculopathy. Paediatr Anaesth 2018; 28: 94-102.
Wang B, Armstrong JS, Reyes M, Kulikowicz E, Lee JH, Spicer D, Bhalala U, Yang ZJ, Koehler RC, Martin LJ, Lee JK. White matter apoptosis is increased by delayed hypothermia and rewarming in a neonatal piglet model of hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy. Neuroscience 2016; 316:296-310.
Lee JK, Kibler KK, Benni PB, Easley RB, Czosnyka M, Smielewski P, Koehler RC, Shaffner DH, Brady KM. Cerebrovascular reactivity measured by near-infrared spectroscopy. Stroke 2009; 40(5): 1820-1826.
Activities & Honors
- 12th Annual ACCM Research Day Award Recipient, Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, 2010
- Young Investigator Award (2nd place), Society for Pediatric Anesthesia, 2010
- Hospira Physician Scientist Award, Foundation for Anesthesia Education and Research/American Society of Critical Care Anesthesiologists, 2009
- 11th Annual ACCM Research Day Award Recipient, Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, 2009
- The W. Barry Wood Student Research Award, 2002
- Henry Strong Dennison Research Award, 2001