I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Jean-Pierre Phillip Ouanes, D.O., M.S.
Director, Regional Anesthesia. Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
Expertise: Anesthesiology, Obstetric Anesthesiology, Pain Management, Ultrasound
Research Interests: Regional anesthesia and acute pain medicine; Total joint replacement: comprehensive care; Postoperative delirium and anesthetic choice; Fragility fracture management; Novel immunosuppression protocols during composite tissue allotransplantation ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 410-955-5608
600 N. Wolfe Street
Sheikh Zayed Tower 8-120
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 410-550-0942
4940 Eastern Avenue
A Building Suite 588
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
Dr. Jean-Pierre Ouanes is an assistant professor of anesthesiology and critical care medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. His areas of clinical expertise include anesthesiology, obstetric anesthesiology, pain management and ultrasound.
He is the director of regional anesthesia at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center.
Dr. Ouanes received his undergraduate degree in biology from Suffolk University and a M.S. with a concentration in health policy from Dartmouth College. He earned his doctor of osteopathic medicine degree from the University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine. Dr. Ouanes completed a residency in anesthesiology at Albany Medical Center and performed fellowships in regional anesthesia and acute pain medicine and obstetric anesthesia at The Johns Hopkins Hospital. Dr. Ouanes joined the Johns Hopkins faculty in 2010.
His research interests include novel immunosuppression protocols during composite tissue allotransplantation, postoperative delirium and anesthetic choice, total joint replacement, fragility fracture management, and regional anesthesia and acute pain medicine.
Dr. Ouanes is a member of the American Society of Anesthesiologists, the Society of Obstetric Anesthesiology and Perinatology, and the American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine.
- Director, Regional Anesthesia. Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
- Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
- DO, University Of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine (2005)
- Albany Medical Center / Anesthesiology (2010)
- American Board of Anesthesiology / Anesthesiology-General (2011)
Research & Publications
Dr. Jean-Pierre Ouanes is involved with many research endeavors. His interests include novel immunosuppression protocols during composite tissue allotransplantation, postoperative delirium and anesthetic choice, total joint replacement, fragility fracture management, and regional anesthesia and acute pain medicine.
A Strategy To Reduce the Incidence of Post-Operative Delirium in Elderly Patients (STRIDE)
Human Upper Extremity Allotransplantation
- Togioka B, Galvagno S, Sumida S, Murphy J, Ouanes JP, Wu CL. "The role of perioperative high inspired oxygen therapy in reducing surgical site infections: a meta-analysis." Anesth Analg. 2012 Feb;114(2):334-42.
- Murphy JD, Gelfand HJ, Bicket M, Ouanes JP, Kumar KK, Isaac G, Wu CL. "Analgesic efficacy of intravenous naloxone for the treatment of postoperative puritis." Journal of Opioid Management. 2011 Jul-Aug;7(4):321-7.
- Gelfand HJ, Ouanes JP, Lesley MR, Ko PS, Murphy JD, Sumida SM, Isaac GR, Kumar KK, Wu CL. "Analgesic efficacy of ultrasound-guided regional anesthesia: A meta-analysis." Journal of Clinical Anesthesia. 2011 Mar;23(2):90-96.
Activities & Honors
- University of New England Scholarship, 2002 - 2003
- Roland Jackson Memorial Scholarship, 2001 - 2005
- Sigma Sigma Phi, 2001
- Ballotti Scholar, 1998
- Archer Fellow, 1997
- American Society of Anesthesiologists
- American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine
- Society of Obstetric Anesthesiology and Perinatology
- Ad hoc editor, Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine
- Ad hoc editor, Anesthesiology