I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Dimitrios G. Avramopoulos, M.D., Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Research Interests: Genetics of Complex Disorders; Genetics of Psychiatric disorders (bipolar, Alzheimer''s, Schizophrenia); Genetic linkage mapping; Genetic association mapping; Positional cloning; Gene expression analysis ...read more
Dr. Dimitrios Avramopoulos is an associate professor of psychiatry and behavioral sciences in the McKusick-Nathans Institute of Genetic Medicine. He holds a medical degree from the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens and a doctorate of philosophy in human genetics from the University of Crete School of Medicine.
Dr. Avramopoulos completed a fellowship in psychiatry and pediatric genetics at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine before joining the Johns Hopkins faculty in 2002.
Dr. Avramopoulos’s research focuses on the complex genetics of disorders like schizophrenia and Alzheimer’s disease.
Dr. Avramopoulos sits on the editorial board of the Frontiers in Behavioral and Psychiatric Genetics journal. He has editorial responsibilities at more than 20 peer-review journals, including Human Molecular Genetics, the American Journal of Psychiatry, JAMA Psychiatry and the British Medical Journal.
Dr. Avramopoulos is a member of the International Society of Neuropsychiatric Genetics, the American Society of Human Genetics, the American Association for the Advancement of Science and the Alzheimer’s Association International Society to Advance Alzheimer Research and Treatment.
His work was recognized with the NARSAD Young Investigator Grant in 2005.
- Associate Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Departments / Divisions
Centers & Institutes
- M.D., University Athens - Fac Medicine - School of Hlth Sci - Nat'l and Kapodistrian - Athens (Greece) (1990)
University of Mental Health and Research Institute, Athens, Greece, 2001; Military Service, Athens, Greece, 1996
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Avramopoulos D, Chakravarti A, and Antonarakis SE. DNA Polymorphisms in the 3' Untranslated Region of Genes on Human Chromosome 21. Genomics. 1993; 15:98-102.
Avramopoulos D, Mikkelsen M, Vassilopoulos D, Grigoriadou M, Petersen MB. Apolipoprotein E allele distribution in parents of Down's syndrome children. Lancet. 1996; 347:862-865.
Avramopoulos D, Kennerknecht I, Barbi G, Eckert D, Delabar JM, Maunoury C, Hallberg A, Petersen MB. A case of apparent trisomy 21 without the Down syndrome phenotype. Journal of Medical Genetics. 1997; 34(7):597-600.
Avramopoulos D, Stefanis NC, Hantoumi I, Smyrnis N, Evdokimidis I and Stefanis CN. Higher scores of self reported schizotypy in healthy young males carrying the COMT high activity allele. Molecular Psychiatry. 2002; 7(7):706-11.
Avramopoulos D, Willour VL, Zandi PP, Huo Y, MacKinnon DF, Potash JB, DePaulo JR Jr. and McInnis MG. Linkage of Bipolar Affective Disorder on chromosome 8q24: Follow-up and parametric analysis. Molecular Psychiatry. 2004; 9(2):191-196.
Avramopoulos D, Fallin MD, Bassett SS. Linkage to chromosome 14q in Alzheimer's Disease (AD) patients without psychotic symptoms. Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychatr Genet. 2005; 132(1):9-13.
Contact for Research Inquiries
Edward D. Miller Research Building
733 North Broadway
Baltimore, MD 21205 map
Academic Affiliations & Courses
Graduate Program Affiliation
- Advanced Topics in Human Genetics course, a required course for 1st year graduate students in human genetics. I teach a "hands on" class on genetic association where the students perform all the steps in the analysis of a genome wide association study.
- Genetics Journal Club: The IGM journal club is part of the graduate students’ training. Faculty members and students present scientific papers providing comprehensive scientific background and critical comments on each presented paper.
Courses and Syllabi
Principles of Genetics course
A required course for 1st year graduate students in Human Genetics and MBG. I am teaching Genetic mapping in humans
Activities & Honors
- Neurosciences Education and Research Foundation award, 2005
- NARSAD Young investigator Award, 2005
- Alzheimer’s Association
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Society of Human Genetic
- International Society of Neuropsychiatric Genetics
- The Alzheimer's Association International Society to Advance Alzheimer Research and Treatment (ISTAART)