I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Shelby Kutty, M.D., M.S., Ph.D.
Director, Taussig Heart Center
Professor of Pediatrics
Languages: English, Hindi, Malayalam
Research Interests: Myocardial function, theranostic ultrasound, cardiovascular outcomes
The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Main Entrance)
1800 Orleans St. The Charlotte R. Bloomberg Children's Center Building Baltimore, MD 21287
Dr. Shelby Kutty is the Director of Taussig Heart Center of the Johns Hopkins Hospital and the Helen B. Taussig Professor of the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He also holds appointments at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.
Dr. Kutty trained in pediatrics, cardiology and cardiac imaging at premier institutions in India, Australia, Canada and the United States. He earned his master’s degree in healthcare management from Harvard University, and is an Aresty Scholar of the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania. Prior to joining Johns Hopkins, he was a professor of pediatrics and internal medicine at the University of Nebraska Medical Center College of Medicine, where he was named Vice Chair for Pediatrics and Assistant Dean for Research and Development in 2017.
Dr. Kutty is one of the foremost authorities in multimodality cardiovascular imaging, including echocardiography, magnetic resonance and computed tomography of congenital heart disease. His areas of academic interest have focused on non-invasive diagnosis, myocardial function assessment, therapeutic ultrasound, and cardiovascular outcomes. He has coauthored over 180 peer reviewed journal articles, over 250 peer reviewed abstracts and 4 book chapters. He has made major contributions in delineating the functional changes in the right ventricle and in developing the field of pediatric theranostic ultrasound.
Dr. Kutty is an elected Fellow of the American Heart Association, the American College of Cardiology, the American Society of Echocardiography, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and the Society for Pediatric Research; and serves on multiple committees for those organizations. He has received acclaimed awards from the American Society of Echocardiography, the American College of Cardiology, the American Heart Association, and the University of Nebraska Medical Center. His research program has been funded by the American College of Cardiology, the American Heart Association, and the National Institutes of Health. His leadership is also evidenced by authorship of several reviews and editorials, over 70 invited lectureships worldwide, and his important role in developing guidelines and standards for contrast echocardiography.
Dr. Kutty’s mentoring prowess is exemplified by his more than 40 mentees including medical students, residents and fellows having published several dozens of peer reviewed journal articles, and presented at numerous national meetings. He serves as Associate Editor for American Journal of Physiology: Heart and Circulatory Physiology and Cardiology in the Young. In addition, he serves as reviewer for eight leading cardiology journals, including editorial consultant appointments for three: Journal of the American College of Cardiology: Imaging, Circulation: Cardiovascular Imaging, and the World Journal of Pediatric and Congenital Heart Surgery.
- Director, Taussig Heart Center
- The Helen B. Taussig Professor
- Professor of Pediatrics
- MBBS, Government Medical College Thrissur Calicut University (1995)
- MD, Kasturba Medical College (1998)
- Kasturba Medical College / Pediatrics (1998)
- Miami Children's Hospital / Pediatrics (2003)
- The Royal Children's Hospital Melbourne / Pediatric Cardiology (2000)
- The Hospital for Sick Children / Pediatric Cardiology (2001)
- Cleveland Clinic / Pediatric Cardiology (2006)
- Medical College of Wisconsin Affiliated Hospitals Inc / Pediatric Cardiology (2008)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Fernandes JF, Hammel JM, Zhou J, Xiao Y, Chen M, Alves R, Lof J, Grieve SM, Schuster A, Kuehne T, Kutty S. Right ventricular energetics and power in pulmonary regurgitation vs. Stenosis using four dimensional phase contrast magnetic resonance. Int J Cardiol. 2018 Jul 15;263:165-170.
Jone PN, Schäfer M, Li L, Craft M, Ivy DD, Kutty S. Right Atrial Deformation in Predicting Outcomes in Pediatric Pulmonary Hypertension. Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2017;10.
Kutty S, Jones PG, Karels Q, Joseph N, Spertus JA, Chan PS. Association of Pediatric Medical Emergency Teams With Hospital Mortality. Circulation. 2018 Jan 2;137(1):38-46.
Kutty S, Xiao Y, Olson J, Xie F, Danford DA, Erickson CC, Porter TR. Safety and Efficacy of Cardiac Ultrasound Contrast in Children and Adolescents for Resting and Stress Echocardiography. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2016 Jul;29(7):655-62.
Shoiab I, Danford DA, Li L, Abdullah I, Hammel JM, Kutty S. Predischarge Transthoracic Echocardiography after Surgery for Congenital Heart Disease: A Routine with a Reason? J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2015 ;28:1030-5.
Activities & Honors
- Aresty Scholar, Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania
- Distinguished Scientist - Annual Research Award, University of Nebraska Medical Center
- Best Poster Award - Congenital Cardiology Solutions Pathway, American College of Cardiology Scientific Sessions
- Young Early Career Investigator Award, American Heart Association Council for Cardiovascular Disease
- Pfizer Career Development Award in Cardiovascular Medicine, American College of Cardiology Foundation
- Arthur Weyman Young Investigator Award, American Society of Echocardiography
- Congenital Heart Disease and Pediatric Cardiology Travel Award, American College of Cardiology
- Pediatric Council Award, The American Society of Echocardiography
- Educational Grant, Society for Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance
- Research Excellence by a Fellow Designation - Chairman's Award, Cleveland Clinic
- Inspirational Mentor of Educators, University of Nebraska Medical Center
Videos & Media
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
Impact in Education: Shelby Kutty, M.D., Ph.D., University of Nebraska Medical Center (February 07, 2017)
Dr. Kutty named assistant dean for research and development, University of Nebraska Medical Center (December 19, 2017)
Distinguished Scientist Shelby Kutty, M.D., Ph.D., University of Nebraska Medical Center (January 10, 2017)
New partnership, NIH grant push research forward, University of Nebraska Medical Center (October 03, 2016)
Study examines efficacy of rapid-response teams, University of Nebraska Medical Center (November 02, 2017)
College of Medicine research retreat set for June 1, University of Nebraska Medical Center (May 02, 2018)