I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Nicholas Rowan, M.D.
Nicholas Ray Rowan, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
Specializes in: Adolescents (12-18 years), Children (1-11 years), Adults (18+ years)
Expertise: Chronic Sinusitis, Endoscopic Frontal Sinus Surgery, Endoscopic Orbital Decompression, Endoscopic Sinus Surgery, Endoscopic Tear Duct Surgery, Nasal Obstruction, Otolaryngology, Paranasal Sinus Tumors, Revision Endoscopic Sinus Surgery, Sinonasal Inverting Papillomas, Sinonasal Tumors, Sinusitis and Nasal Polyposis, Skull Base Tumors, Smell Loss ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
Appointment Phone: 443-997-6467
601 N. Caroline St.
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Johns Hopkins Medicine - Green Spring Station
Appointment Phone: 443-997-6467
10751 Falls Road
Falls Concourse Suites 406-408
Lutherville, MD 21093 map
Nicholas Rowan performs a full complement of endoscopic sinus surgeries, including orbital and skull base procedures as well as in-office procedures such as nasal polypectomies and cryotherapy.
He has co-authored more than 20 peer reviewed publications in training alone and received both institutional and national societal-based grant funding. He recently co-authored the international consensus statement on management of spontaneous anterior skull base cerebrospinal fluid leaks.
Dr. Rowan is currently involved in rhinologic and skull base outcomes research in addition to developing clinical trial programs for patients with chronic rhinosinusitis.
- Assistant Professor of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
Departments / Divisions
- Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery - Rhinology and Sinus
Centers & Institutes
- MD, Rutgers New Jersey Medical School - Registrar (2012)
- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center / Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery (2017)
- Medical University of South Carolina College of Medicine (2018)
- American Board of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery / Otolaryngology (2018)
Research & Publications
Dr. Rowan is actively involved in both outcomes and translational research relating to chronic rhinosinusitis and endoscopic skull base surgery. He also has a keen interest and experience with the sinonasal micobiome and quality improvement initiatives in otolaryngology.
Technology Expertise KeywordsChronic rhinosinusitis, chronic sinusitis, skull base tumors, taste, smell, endoscopic sinus surgery
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Rowan NR, Stapleton AL, Heft-Neal ME, Gardner PA, Snyderman CH. The natural growth rate of residual juvenile angiofibroma. J Neurol Surg B. 2018 Jun:79:257-261.
Rowan NR, Turner MT, Valappil B, Fernandez-Miranda J, Wang EW, Gardner PA, Snyderman CH. Injury of the carotid artery during endoscopic endonasal surgery:surveys f skull base surgeons. J Neurol Surg B. 2018 Jun;79:302-308.
Rowan NR, Soler ZM, Othieno F, Storck KA, Smith TL, Schlosser RJ. IMpact of Bitter Taste Receptior Phenotype upon Clinical Presentation in Chronic Rhinosinusitis. In press, Int Forum Allergy Rhinol.
Academic Affiliations & Courses
Courses and Syllabi
Southern States Rhinology Course
Endoscopic Rhinology and Skull Base Surgery Lab
Activities & Honors
- Research Award, American Academy of Otolaryngic Allergy Foundation, 2017
- Resident Member Nomination, Alpha Omega Alpha, 2016
- Best Clinical Paper by a Resident/Fellow 1st place, North American Skull Base Society, 2015
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- The American Academy of Otolaryngic Allergy
- The American Rhinologic Society
- The American Medical Association
- The Triological Society
- American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
- Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society
- Program Committee Member, American Rhinologic Society Annual Meeting Oct 2018, Atlanta, Georgia
- Resident & Fellows Committee Member, American Rhinologic Society
- CORE Grant Reviewer, American Academy of Otolaryngology 2017
- Reviewer, International Forum of Allergy & Rhinology. Editor: David W. Kennedy 2017 - present
- Reviewer, American Journal of Rhinology & Allergy. Editors:R Chandra, R. Sindwani and A. Peters, 2017 - present
- Reviewer, Annals of Otology, Rhinology & Laryngology. Editor:R.J.H. Smith 2016 - present
Videos & Media
Lectures and Presentations
Impact of Bitter Taste Receptor Phenotype Upon Clinical Presentation in Chronic Rhinosinusitis
Oral Presentation, National Harbor, Maryland (04/20/2018)
Minimally Invasive Maxillary Antrostomy
Oral Presentation, Simposio Internacional de Rinologia, Porto Alegre, Brazil (10/06/2017)
A Skull Base Course Participants' Experience with Endoscopic Endonasal Carotid Artery Injuries
Oral Presentation, New Orleans, LA (03/03/2017)
North American Skull Base Society
Effect of Viral Infection on Clinical Severity of Sinonasal Disease and Iron Sequestration in Cystic Fibrosis Patients
Oral presentation, Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA (09/16/2016)
American Academy of Otolaryngology
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
Women's Health Magazine, Will Apple Cider Vinegar Cure my Cold? 10/18/2018