I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Daniel Sun, M.D.
Daniel Quain Sun, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
Specializes in: Adults (18+ years)
Languages: English, Chinese
Expertise: Acoustic Neuromas, Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) Leaks, Cholesteatoma, Cochlear Implantation, Facial Nerve Disorders, Hearing Loss, Meniere's Disease, Otosclerosis, Skull Base Tumors, Vestibular Schwannoma ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Dr. Daniel Sun is a fellowship-trained neuro-otologist who specializes in complex conditions of the ear, facial nerve and skull base. These include hearing loss, cochlear implantation, cholestoeatoma, otosclerosis, Meniere's disease, cerebrospinal fluid leak, skull base tumors such as vestibular schwannoma (acoustic neuroma), and facial nerve disorders such as facial nerve neuroma among others. His research interest lies in the development of novel techniques for drug delivery to the ear.
- Assistant Professor of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
Departments / Divisions
- MD, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (2011)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Otolaryngology (2016)
- University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics / Otology & Neurotology (2018)
- American Board of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery / Otolaryngology (2017)
- Diplomate, American Board of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery
Johns Hopkins Hospital, Housestaff; Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery (2011-2016)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Sun DQ, Menezes AH, Howard MA, Gantz BJ, Hasan DM, Hansen MR, Surgical management of tumors involving Meckel's cave and cavernous sinus: role of an extended middle fossa and lteral spheniodectomy approach. Otol Neurotol. 2018; 39(1):82-91.
Andresen NS, Sun DQ, Hansen MR. Facial nerve decompression. Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2018; In Press
Sun DQ, Kung RW, Hansen MR, Gantz BJ. Does a "fundal fluid cap" predict successful hearing preservation in vestibular schwannoma resections via the middle cranial fossa approach? Oto Neurotol 2018; In Press
Sun DQ, Sullivan CB, Kung RW, Asklof M, Hansen MR, Gantz BJ. How well does intra-operative audiolgic monitoring predict hearing outcome during middle fossa vestibular schwannom resection? Otol Neurotol. 2018 In Press.
Andresen NS, Sun DQ, Hansen MR, Facial nerve decompression. Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2018; In Press
Academic Affiliations & Courses
Courses and Syllabi
Johns Hopkins Temporal Bone Course
Activities & Honors
- Verizon Scholar, University of Pennsylvania, 2004 - 2006
- Natural Science and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) of Canada Undergraduate Summer Research Award, University of Alberta
- American Institute of Chemical Engineering (AIChE) Delaware Valley Section Award, University of Pennsylvania
- Merck Undergraduate Research Fellowship, University of Pennsylvania
- Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society, University of Pennsylvania
- First Prize, Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering Unit Operations Poster Competition, University of Pennsylvania
- American Institute of Chemists Medal Award, University of Pennsylvania
- William Walker Research Award in Psychiatry, Johns Hopkins
- Humanitarian Resident Travel Grant, American Academy of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery
- American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
- American Neurotologic Society
- Association for Research in Otolaryngology
- Journal Reviewer, Annals of Otology, Rhinology, & Laryngology
- Journal Reviewer, Ear and Hearing
- Journal Reviewer, Frontiers Neurology
- Journal Reviewer, Laryngoscope
- Journal Reviewer, Otology & Neurotology
- Journal Reviewer, PLOS One