I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Sean Steven Barnes, M.B.A., M.D.
Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
Sean completed his undergraduate degree at the University of Chicago and then his M.B.A at the Booth School of Business at the University of Chicago. In 2010 he came to Johns Hopkins as the first combined pediatrics and anesthesia resident and was a chief resident in anesthesiology. He then completed his pediatric critical care fellowship and pediatric anesthesia fellowship here at Hopkins.
Sean’s academic focus is on prevention and management of pediatric delirium in the perioperative period. He also has a well-known interest in social media and the impact it has on medicine.
- Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine
Departments / Divisions
- MD MBA, University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine (2010)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Pediatrics (2015)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine (2018)
- American Board of Anesthesiology / Anesthesiology-General (2016)
- American Board of Pediatrics / Pediatrics (2015)
- Pending/Scheduled / Anesthesiology
Research & Publications
Sean’s academic focus is on prevention and management of pediatric delirium in the perioperative period. He was awarded a ACCM Departmental STAAR grant to support his work on pathophysiology of delirium in children undergoing surgery for heart disease.
He also has a well-known interest in social media and the impact it has on medicine.
Barnes SS, Kudchadkar SR. Sedative choice and ventilator-associated patient outcomes: don't sleep on delirium. Ann Transl Med 2016; 4.
Barnes SS, Yaster M, Kudchadkar SR. Pediatric sedation management. Pediatrics in Review 2016; Vol. 37 No. 5, pp. 203-212.
Barnes SS, Greenberg RS, Kudchadkar SR. Propofol infusion in children. Anaesthesia 2016 Aug; 71(8):986-7.
Barnes SS, Kaul V, Kudchadkar SR. Social Media Engagement and the Critical Care Medicine Community. Journal of Intensive Care Medicine 2018 Apr.
Barnes SS, Grados, MA, Kudchadkar SR. Child Psychiatry Engagement in the Management of Delirium in Critically Ill Children. Critical Care Research and Practice 2018 Apr; (4):1-6
Activities & Honors
- Johns Hopkins Anesthesia & Critical Care Medicine Excellent Clinician Award, 2014
- Paul S. Lietman Global Health Travel Fellowship for Residents & Fellows, 2015
- American Academy of Pediatrics 2016 Critical Care Small Projects Award for the proposal, "Impact of a Targeted Educational Program for Delirium Screening and Prevention in Critically Ill Children.", American Academy of Pediatrics, 2016
- CEDARTREE/NIDUS R24 Delirium Boot Camp Boot Camp grant awardee, 2017
- American Academy of Pediatrics, 2010
- Society for Pediatric Anesthesia, 2014
- Society of Critical Care Medicine, 2015
- Congenital Cardiac Anesthesia Society, 2015
- American Delirium Society, 2017
- American Society of Anesthesiologists, 2011