I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Bryan Kevin Ward, M.D.
Director, Undergraduate Medical Education, Department of Otolaryngoloy-Head and Neck Surgery
Assistant Professor of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
Expertise: Acoustic Neuromas, Bilateral Loss of Vestibular Sensation, Bone Anchored Hearing Devices, Cholesteatoma, Chronic Otitis Media, Ear Surgery, Eustachian Tube Disorders, Hearing Disorders, Meniere's Disease, Otolaryngology, Otosclerosis, Patulous Eustachian Tube Dysfunction, Sudden Hearing Loss, Superior Canal Dehiscence Syndrome ...read more
Research Interests: vestibular; magnetic fields; superior semicircular canal dehiscence syndrome; vestibular implantation
- Director, Undergraduate Medical Education, Department of Otolaryngoloy-Head and Neck Surgery
- Assistant Professor of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
- MD, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine (2009)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Otolaryngology (2015)
- Boston Children's Hospital / Otolaryngology (2016)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Otology & Neurotology (2018)
- American Board of Otolaryngology / Otolaryngology (2017)
Research & Publications
My research is focused on studying the effects of strong static magnetic fields such as those in MRI machines on the vestibular system. The magnetic fields of MRI machines can induce a force in the inner ear that can cause dizziness and vertigo. This is a fundamentally new way of stimulating the vestibular system, and we are studying how the brain adapts to this stimulus.
I have a number of clinical research interests as well, including the pathophysiology of innear ear disorders such as superior semicircular canal dehiscence syndrome, Meniere's disease and bilateral vestibulopathy, as well as novel treatments including the development of a vestibular implant (led by Dr. Charles Della Santina).
Ward BK, Tan G X-J, Roberts DC, Della Santina CC, Zee DS, Carey JP. Strong Static Magnetic Fields Elicit Swimming Behaviors Consistent with Direct Vestibular Stimulation in Adult Zebrafish. PLoS ONE, 9(3): 19. e92109. Doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0092109, March, 2014. PMID: 24647586
Ward BK, Zee DS. Dizziness and Vertigo during MRI. New England Journal of Medicine, 375.21 (2016): e44. PMID: 27959734
Otero-Millan, J., Zee, D. S., Schubert, M. C., Roberts, D. C., Ward, B. K. (2017). Three-dimensional eye movement recordings during magnetic vestibular stimulation. Journal of Neurology, 264(1), 7-12.. PMID: 28271407
Ward BK, Carey JP, Minor LB. Superior Canal Dehiscence Syndrome: Lessons from the First 20 Years. Frontiers in Neurology. 2017 Apr 8:177.
Ward BK, Ashry Y, Poe DS. Patulous Eustachian Tube Dysfunction: Patient Demographics and comorbidities. Otology & Neurotology, 2017. 38(9): 1362-9. PMID: 28796094
Device for Magnetic Stimulation of the Vestibular System
Patent # US15668896
Activities & Honors
- Frank L. Coulson, Jr. Award for Clinical Excellence, Johns Hopkins Hospital, 2016
- Henkel Chief Resident Teacher of the Year Award, Johns Hopkins Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, 2016
- Triological Society, post-graduate member
- Barany Society
- American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery