I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Zelia M. Correa, M.D.
The Tom Clancy Endowed Professor of Ophthalmology
Professor of Ophthalmology
Specializes in: Adolescents (12-18 years), Children (1-11 years), Adults (18+ years), Geriatrics (55+ years), Infants (up to 1 year)
Expertise: Ocular Melanoma, Ocular oncology, Retinoblastoma
Dr. Correa is a Professor of Ophthalmology at the Wilmer Eye Institute. She specializes in intraocular and conjunctival tumors with particular interest in ocular melanoma, retinoblastoma, ocular metastasis, and conjunctival melanomas. She has been recognized for her research in the field of ocular oncology and is part of the steering committee of the Collaborative Ocular Oncology Group, currently the largest NIH funded prospective study in Uveal Melanoma. She is the Director of the Echography Service at the Wilmer Eye Institute. Her clinical interests also include radiation therapy to the eye, vitreoretinal diseases and surgery, fine needle aspiration biopsy of ocular tumors, retinal detachment and ophthalmology.
- The Tom Clancy Endowed Professor of Ophthalmology
- Professor of Ophthalmology
- M.D., Fundacao Faculdade Regional de Medicina de Sao Jose do Rio Preto - Sao Paulo (Brazil) (1989)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Onken MD, Worley LA, Char DH, Augsburger JJ, Correa ZM, Nudleman E, Aaberg TM Jr, Altaweel MM, Bardenstein DS, Finger PT, Gallie BL, Harocopos GJ, Hovland PG, McGowan HD, Milman T, Mruthyunjaya P, Simpson ER, Smith ME, Wilson DJ, Wirostko WJ, Harbour JW. Collaborative Ocular Oncology Group Report Number 1: Prospective Validation of a Multi-Gene Prognostic Assay in Uveal Melanoma. Ophthalmology 2012 Aug;119(8):1596-603
?Correa ZM, Augsburger JJ. Sufficiency of FNAB aspirates of posterior uveal melanoma for cytologic versus GEP classification in 159 patients, and relative prognostic significance of these classifications. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2014 Jan;252(1):131-5
Correa ZM, Augsburger JJ. Relationship between rate of posterior uveal melanoma flattening following plaque radiotherapy and GEP class of tumor cells. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2014 Jan 29;55(1):556-9
Correa ZM, Augsburger JJ. Independent Prognostic Significance of Gene Expression Profile Class and Largest Basal Diameter of Posterior Uveal Melanomas. Am J Ophthalmol. 2016 Feb;162:20-27
Correa ZM. Assessing Prognosis in Uveal Melanoma. Cancer Control. 2016;23(2):93-8
Contact for Research Inquiries
600 North Wolfe Street
Baltimore, MD 21287-9277 map
Activities & Honors
- Senior Achievement Award, American Academy of Ophthalmology, 2017
- Honor Award, American Society of Retina Specialists, 2017
- Benjamin Boyd Humanitarian Award, PanAmerican Society of Ophthalmology, 2015
- Special Recognition Award for Leadership Development Program, American Academy of Ophthalmology, 2013
- Secretariat Award for work with Global Outreach, American Academy of Ophthalmology, 2013
- Best International Paper Presentation at Annual Meeting, Brazilian Council of Ophthalmology, 2011
- Dean’s Award for Excellence in Medical Education, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, 2011
- Achievement Award, American Academy of Ophthalmology, 2010
- Academic Faculty Teacher of the Year Award - Ophthalmology, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, 2014
- American Academy of Ophthalmology, 1994
- Pan American Association of Ophthalmology, 2002
- Club Jules Gonin, 2014
- American Society of Retina Specialists, 2009
- Women in Ophthalmology, 2013
- International Society of Ocular Oncology, 2001
- American Society of Ocular Oncology and Pathology, 2017