I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Akhil Maheshwari, M.B.B.S., M.D.
Director, Division of Neonatology
Professor of Pediatrics
Languages: English, Hindi
Expertise: Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine
Research Interests: Neonatal intestinal injury and liver disease
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Main Entrance)
Appointment Phone: 410-955-5259
1800 Orleans St.
The Charlotte R. Bloomberg Children's Center Building, Room 8530
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
- Director, Division of Neonatology
- Vice-Chair (Integration), Department of Pediatrics
- Josephine S. Sutland Professor of Newborn Medicine
- Professor of Pediatrics
- MBBS, Institute of Medical Sciences Banaras Hindu University (1994)
- MD, Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (1996)
- Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research / Pediatrics (1996)
- Shands Hospital at the University of Florida / Pediatrics (2001)
- Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (1999)
- Tampa General Healthcare / Neonatal Perinatal Medicine (2004)
- American Board of Pediatrics / Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine (2005)
- American Board of Pediatrics / Pediatrics (2001)
Research & Publications
Dr. Maheshwari's research is focused on the mechanisms of inflammatory gut injury in neonatal necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC), a leading cause of death among premature infants. Specific areas of interest include host-microbial interaction, leukocyte trafficking, cytokines, tight junctions, macrophage function and protective factors in human milk. His laboratory has developed several pre-clinical models of NEC and neonatal intestinal injury. He also uses clinical datasets to identify novel disease associations using statistical and machine-learning tools. His clinical interests are in neonatal intestinal and liver conditions.
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Ho TTB, Groer MW, Kane B, Yee AL, Torres BA, Gilbert JA, Maheshwari A. Dichotomous development of the gut microbiome in preterm infants. Microbiome. 2018; 6(1):157. PMID: 30208950, PMCID: PMC6136210
Maheshwari A, Kelly DR, Nicola T, Ambalavanan N, Jain SK, Murphy-Ullrich J, Athar M, Shimamura M, Bhandari V, Aprahamian C, Dimmitt RA, Serra R, Ohls RK. TGF-β2 suppresses macrophage cytokine production and mucosal inflammatory responses in the developing intestine. Gastroenterology. 2011; 140(1):242-53. NIHMSID: NIHMS239996; PMID: 20875417, PMCID: PMC3008335
Clinics in Perinatology, Special edition on Necrotizing Enterocolitis. Denning PW, Maheshwari A (eds); Mar 2013;40 (1)
Hematology, Immunology, and Infectious Disease: Neonatology Questions and Controversies. Ohls RK, Maheshwari A (eds). Philadelphia, Elsevier, 2nd Ed. 12 Mar 2012; ISBN-13: 978-1437726626
Hematology, Immunology & Genetics: Neonatology Questions and Controversies. Ohls RK, Maheshwari A, Christensen RD (Eds.). Philadelphia, Elsevier, 3rd Ed. 4 Sep 2018; ISBN-18: 978-0323544009; eBook ISBN: 978-0323568470; 978-0323568487
Activities & Honors
- Pamela and Leslie Muma Chair Honoree
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
- Research Award, University of Illinois
- Research Scholar Award, American Gastroenterological Association
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American Pediatric Society
- NEC Society
- Society for Pediatric Research
- Communications Committee, American Pediatric Society
- Convener, NEC Focus Group, Pediatric Academic Societies Meetings