I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
William Vincent Padula, M.S., M.Sc., Ph.D.
Joint Appointment in Medicine
Research Interests: Health economics; Cost-effectiveness analysis; Comparative effectiveness research; Quality improvement and patient safety; Pressure injuries; Outcomes research; Health services research; Preventive medicine; Hospital medicine; Drug pricing; Pharmacoeconomics ...read more
Dr. William V. Padula holds a joint appointment in medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He is an assistant professor of health policy and management at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. His research explores problems in health economics and health services research. Dr. Padula also holds a joint appointment in the Johns Hopkins School of Nursing.
He is a member of Hopkins’ Interdepartmental Program in Health Economics and teaches the economic evaluation modeling curriculum. He has performed innovative comparative effectiveness research and cost-effectiveness analysis of quality improvement strategies to prevent hospital-acquired conditions, particularly regarding pressure injury (AKA “bedsore”) care. In 2017, he and colleagues collaborated with the Maryland Attorney General to pass bipartisan Maryland State legislation to restrict price hikes on generic pharmaceuticals—the first of its kind in the U.S.
Prior to joining Hopkins, Dr. Padula was a health economics fellow in the Department of Medicine at the University of Chicago and led an AHRQ-funded investigation to develop predictive algorithms of patient risk for developing pressure injuries in hospitals. In addition to publishing over 50 scientific articles and receiving numerous awards, he serves on the Board of Directors for the National Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel (NPUAP) and as a commissioner for the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) Magnet® Recognition Program.
- Joint Appointment in Medicine
- M.S., Dartmouth College (New Hampshire) (2008)
- Ph.D., University of Colorado Health Science Center (Colorado) (2013)
- M.Sc., University of Chicago (Illinois) (2015)
Research & Publications
Dr. Padula investigates problems in health economics and health services research, with a particular focus on:
- the theoretical foundations of medical cost-effectiveness analysis;
- using data analytics to predict health outcomes;
- quality improvement and reduced cost of hospital care; and
- drug pricing issues.
Green JA, Padula WV. "Targeting unconscionable prescript-drug prices – Maryland’s Anti-Price-Gouging Law." The New England Journal of Medicine. 2017 Jul 13;377(2):101-103. PMID: 28591520.
Padula WV, Larson RA, Dusetzina SB, Apperley JF, Hehlmann R, Baccarani M, Eigendorff E, Guilhot J, Guilhot F, Hehlmann R, Mahon FX, Martinelli G, Mayer J, Müller MC, Niederwieser D, Saussele S, Schiffer CA, Silver RT, Simonsson B, Conti RM. "Cost-effectiveness of tyrosine kinase inhibitor treatment strategies for chronic myeloid leukemia in chronic phase after generic entry of imatinib in the United States." J Natl Cancer Inst. 2016 Mar 4;108(7). doi: 10.1093/jnci/djw003. Print 2016 Jul.
Padula WV, Gibbons RD, Valuck RJ, Makic MBF, Mishra MK, Pronovost PJ, Meltzer DO. Are Evidence-based Practices Associated with Effective Prevention of Hospital-acquired Pressure Ulcers in U.S. Academic Medical Centers? Medical Care, 2016 May;54(5):512-8. PMID: 27078824
Padula WV, Mishra MK, Makic MB, Sullivan PW. "Improving the quality of pressure ulcer care with prevention: a cost-effectiveness analysis." Medical Care. 2011;49(4):385-92. PMID: 21368685.
Padula WV, Phelps CE, Moran D, Earley C. "Allocating provider resources to diagnose and treat restless legs syndrome: a cost-utility analysis." Sleep Med. 2017 Oct;38:44-49. doi: 10.1016/j.sleep.2017.06.034. Epub 2017 Jul 27.
Academic Affiliations & Courses
Courses and Syllabi
Economic Evaluation II
Activities & Honors
- Research Award, Best New Investigator, International Society of Pharmacoeconomics & Outcomes Research (ISPOR) European Congress,, 2016
- Young Investigator Award, Society for Advancement in Wound Care (SAWC), 2016
- “Top Reviewer” for Annals of Internal Medicine, 2013
- “Top Reviewer” for Annals of Internal Medicine, 2014
- “Top Reviewer” for Annals of Internal Medicine, 2015
- “Top Reviewer” for Annals of Internal Medicine, 2016
- Outstanding Dissertation Award, Honorable Mention, AcademyHealth, 2015
- Best-in-Show, M.Sc. Analytics Thesis Defense, University of Chicago, 2015
- Diversity Small Grant Award, University of Chicago Medicine, 2014
- Best Abstract, Health Services Research Category by a Fellow, Department of Medicine Research Day, University of Chicago, 2014
- Board of Directors, National Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel (NPUAP)
- Commissioner, American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) Magnet® Recognition Program