I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Stefano Schena, M.D., Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Surgery
Languages: English, Italian, Spanish
Expertise: Aortic Aneurysms, Aortic Dissections, Aortic Surgery, Atrial Fibrillation, Cardiac Care, Cardiac Masses, Cardiac Surgery, Cardiothoracic Surgery, Cardiovascular Diseases, Cardiovascular Surgery, Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery (CABG), Coronary Artery Disease, Coronary Bypass Surgery, Heart Bypass, Heart Conditions, Heart Failure, Heart Valve Diseases, Ischemic Heart Disease, Minimally Invasive Aortic Valve Replacement, Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery, Mitral Stenosis, Mitral Valve Repair, Off Pump Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting, Pacemakers, Pericardial constriction, Valvular Heart Surgery ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Main Entrance)
Appointment Phone: 410-955-2800
1800 Orleans St.
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Stefano Schena, M.D., Ph.D, F.A.C.S., F.A.C.C. joins the Johns Hopkins Division of Cardiac Surgery as Assistant Professor of Surgery. Dr. Schena’s areas of clinical expertise include all aspects of adult Cardiac, Thoracic and Vascular surgery.
Prior to joining Johns Hopkins, Dr. Schena served as assistant professor of Surgery and Cardiothoracic surgery at Washington University. He earned his bachelor of science degree at Liceo Scientifico Statale “E. Fermi” in Bari, Italy. He received his medical degree from the University of Bari Medical School, where he also obtained his doctor of philosophy degree. Dr. Schena completed a cardiovascular surgery residency at the University of Bari and a general surgery residency at the University of Illinois at Chicago. He completed his fellowship in cardiothoracic surgery at Washington University/Barnes-Jewish Hospital in St. Louis.
Dr. Schena is a member of various organizations, including the American Heart Association, the Society of Transplantation, the American College of Surgeons, the American College of Cardiology, the International Society of Minimally Invasive Cardiothoracic Surgery and the Society of Thoracic Surgeons.
Dr. Schena’s research interests include long-term outcome and quality of life following cardiac surgery in elderly patients, secondary effects following first and repeated exposure of patients to heparin in cardiac surgery, novel technologies in structural heart valve therapy.
- Assistant Professor of Surgery
- MD, University of Bari Medical School (1996)
- University of Bari Medical School / Cardiovascular Surgery (2001)
- University of Illinois at Chicago College of Medicine-GME / General Surgery (2006)
- Barnes-Jewish Hospital / Cardiothoracic Surgery (2008)
- American Board of Thoracic Surgery / Thoracic and Cardiac Surgery (2010)
Research & Publications
Bortone AS, Schena S, D’Agostino D, Dialetto G, Paradiso V, Mannatrizio G, Fiore T, Cotrufo M, de Luca T.S. L. Immediate versus delayed endovascular treatment of post-traumatic aortic pseudoaneurysms and type B dissections: retrospective analysis and premises to the upcoming european trial. Circulation 2002; 106: I234-40.
Weimar T, Schena S, Bailey MS, Maniar HS, Schuessler RB, Cox JL, Damiano RJ. The Cox-Maze Procedure for Lone Atrial Fibrillation: A Single Center Experience over Two Decades. Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol 2012; 5: 8-14.
Schena S, Kurimoto Y, Fukada J, Tack I, Ruiz P, Aitouche A, Striker LJ, Pham SM. Effects of ventricular unloading on apoptosis and atrophy of cardiac myocytes. J Surg Res 2004; 120: 119-126.
Schena S, Crabtree TD, Baker KA, Guthrie TJ, Curci J, Damiano RJ, Barner HB. Radial Artery Harvesting is Not Associated with Deterioration of Vascular Function of the Donor Limb at Late Follow-up. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2011:142: 298-301.
Schena S, Krupnick AS. Recurrent Empyema Secondary to Persistent Spinal Compression of the Left Main Bronchus. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2013; 145:294.
Activities & Honors
- James and Dorothy Marajakis Travel Scholar Fellowship
- MVP, Christ Advocate Medical Center
- Resident Trauma Paper Competition – Clinical Sciences Award, Chicago Committee on Trauma of the ACS
- UIC-Dept of Surgery Resident Research Forum
- STS – Thoracic Endografting Symposium Resident Scholarship
- Italian Medical Association (Ordine dei Medici), 1996
- European Society for Organ Transplantation (ESOT), 1999
- American Society of Transplantation (AST), 2000
- American College of Surgeons, 2002
- American Medical Association (AMA), 2003
- Warren Cole Society – UIC Dept. Of Surgery Alumni, 2005
- Chicago Metropolitan Trauma Society, 2005
- Society of Thoracic Surgeons, 2007
- American Heart Association (AHA-CV Surgery Council), 2007
- American College of Cardiology, 2011
- International Society of Minimally Invasive Cardiothoracic Surgery, 2011
- Society of Thoracic Surgeons (STS) - Workforce on Associate Membership, 2015
Videos & Media
Lectures and Presentations
Causes of ventricular assist device (VAD) patients readmission: device, infection and coagulation
Lecture, American Society for Artificial Internal Organs (ASAIO) 53rd Annual Conference, Chicago, Illinois (06/07/2007)
LVAD-Related Infections and Readmission Diagnoses are Decreased in the Era of the Rotary Pump
Lecture, International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation (ISHLT) 29thAnnual Meeting and Scientific Sessions, Paris, France (04/22/2009)
Long Term Follow-up Of Ulnar Artery Flow Dynamics Following Unilateral Radial Artery Harvesting For Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting
Lecture, American College of Surgeons 95th Annual Clinical Congress, Chicago, Illinois (10/11/2009)
Towards a Totally Robotic-Assisted Thoracic Surgery Service: Single Center Experience Within a large metropolitan Area
Lecture, Missouri Chapter American College of Surgeons 45th Annual Professional Meeting, Lake of Ozark, Missouri (06/08/2012)
Heparin Induced Thrombocytopenia (HIT) in Cardiac Surgery May BeAssociated With Constant Exposure Rather Than Occasional Previous Administration: A Single Center Study
Lecture, Missouri Chapter American College of Surgeons 47th Annual Professional Meeting (05/29/2014)