I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Alodia Gabre-Kidan, M.D., M.P.H.
Assistant Professor of Surgery
Expertise: Anal Cancer, Colon and Rectal Surgery, Colonoscopy, Colorectal Cancer, Colorectal Surgery, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis, Fecal Incontinence, Hemorrhoids, Rectal Problem, Ulcerative Colitis ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Community Physicians General Surgery at Howard County
APPOINTMENT PHONE: 410-730-1988
11085 Little Patuxent Parkway Medical Arts Building Suite 103 Columbia, MD 21044
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
APPOINTMENT PHONE: 443-997-1508
301 Mason Lord Drive Suite 3200 Baltimore, MD 21224
Alodia Gabre-Kidan, M.D., M.P.H., is a colorectal surgeon practicing at Howard County General Hospital. Dr. Gabre-Kidan performs a variety of surgical procedures, including minimally invasive options.
Dr. Gabre-Kidan earned her medical degree from the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and a masters of public health degree from the Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health. She completed general surgery residency at New York Presbyterian Hospital - Columbia Campus and a colorectal surgery fellowship at Cleveland Clinic Florida.
- Assistant Professor of Surgery
Departments / Divisions
- Surgery - Ravitch Colorectal Division
Centers & Institutes
- MD, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (2010)
- New York-Presbyterian/Columbia University Irving Medical Center / General Surgery (2013)
- New York-Presbyterian/Columbia University Irving Medical Center / General Surgery (2016)
- Cleveland Clinic Florida / Colorectal Surgery (2017)
- American Board of Surgery / General Surgery (2017)
Research & Publications
Esemuede, I; Gabre-Kidan, A; Fowler, D; Kiran, RP. "Risk of Readmission after Laparoscopic versus Open Colorectal Surgery." Int J Colorectal Disease 2015 Nov; 30(11):1489-1494.
Salazar JH, Gabre-Kidan A, Ortega G, Scorpio D, Oldenburg G, Custis H, Ruben D, Albano M, Choo SS, Rhee DS, Fulton WB, Wang Q, Papandria D, Crino JP, Abdullah F. "Extracorporeal Fetal Support: A New Animal Model with Preservation of the Placenta." J Pediatr Surg 2014 Oct; 49(10):1441-1445.
Abdullah F, Zhang, Y, Camp M, Mukherjee D, Gabre-Kidan A, Sharpe L, Colombani P, Chang, D. "Necrotizing Enterocolitis in 20,822 US Infants: Analysis of Medical & Surgical Treatments". Clin Pediatr. 2010 Mar; 49 (2): 166-71.
Camp M., Zhang,Y, Chang D, Arnold M, Sharpe L, Gabre-Kidan A, Bathurst M, Abdullah F. "Provider Density and Health System Facility Factors and their relationship to rates of Pediatric Perforated Appendicitis in US Counties." Arch Surg. 2010 Dec; 145 (12):1139-44.
Abdullah F, Gabre-Kidan A, Zhang, Y, Sharpe L, Chang D. "A Report of 2,087,915 Surgical Admissions in U.S. Children: Inpatient Mortality Rates by Procedure and Specialty." Worl J Surg. 2009 Dec; 33(12): 2714-21.
Activities & Honors
- Outstanding Resident/Fellow Teacher, Florida Atlantic University, 2016
- Administrative Chief Resident, General Surgery, Columbia University Department of Surgery, 2015
- Startup Grant Award: Use of Ultrasound and MRI in the Diagnosis of Appendicitis, Columbia University Department of Surgery, 2011
- Katz Fellowship in Thoracic Surgery, Sub-Internship in the Department of Thoracic Surgery, Johns Hopkins, 2009
- Minority Health International Research Training Program (MHIRT) Fellow, National Institutes of Health/Fogarty International Center
- Board of Advisors Medical Scholar: Full tuition scholarship, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 2006
- Exceptional Research Opportunities Program (EXROP) Fellow, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, 2004
- Undergraduate Minority Fellow, National Institutes of Health, 2003
Videos & Media
Lectures and Presentations
Operative Outcomes of Rectal Cancer in Octogenarians and Nonagenarians
Poster Presentation, American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons Annual Scientific Meeting, Seattle, Washington (01/01/1900)
Inpatient Hospital Readmission Based on Discharge Destination after Colorectal Surgery
Poster Presentation, American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons Annual Scientific Meeting, Boston, Massachusetts (01/01/1900)
Analysis of 30-Day Mortality after Elective Colorectal Surgery
Poster Presentation, San Francisco, California (01/01/1900)
American College of Surgeons Clinical Congress