I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Christopher Beyrer, M.D., M.P.H.
Joint Appointment in Medicine
Research Interests: HIV/AIDS Epidemiology, Prevention Science, and Policy; HIV/AIDS, HCV and TB among key populations, including people who use drugs, gay, bisexual and other men who have sex with men, transgender persons and sex workers; Public Health and Human Rights; LGBT health and Rights; Development of Research Capability in Developing Country Settings ...read more
Chris Beyrer MD, MPH, is the Desmond M. Tutu Professor of Public Health and Human Rights at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health in Baltimore, Maryland. He is a Professor of Epidemiology, International Health, Health, Behavior and Society, and Nursing. He serves as Director of Johns Hopkins Training Program in HIV Epidemiology and Prevention Science and as Founding Director of the Center for Public Health and Human Rights. He is the Associate Director of the Johns Hopkins Center for AIDS Research (CFAR) and of the University’s Center for Global Health. He currently serves as a member of the MSM Working Group of the HIV Prevention Trials Network.
He has extensive experience in conducting international collaborative research and training programs in HIV/AIDS and other infectious disease epidemiology, in infectious disease prevention research, HIV among Key Populations, and in health and human rights.
As Director of the Johns Hopkins Fogarty AITRP Program, Dr. Beyrer provided fellowships for over 1,400 international scholars in HIV/AIDS prevention, research, and treatment. He served as Field Director of the Thai PAVE and HIVNET studies from 1992-1996, based in Chiang Mai, northern Thailand, and has done extensive research in the epidemiology of HIV in Thailand, Burma, China, India and across Southeast Asia; in Russia and Kazakhstan, in Malawi, South Africa, and the US. He is the author of the 1998 book War in the Blood: Sex Politics and AIDS in Southeast Asia and Co-Editor of Public Health and Human Rights: Evidence-Based Approaches. Dr. Beyrer has served as advisor to the PEPFAR Program, the HIV Vaccine Trials Network, the Office of AIDS Research of the US NIH, the US Military HIV Research Program, the World Bank, the Royal Thai Army Medical Corps and the Thai Red Cross, as well as numerous other organizations.
Prof. Beyrer was elected to membership in the U.S. National Academy of Medicine in 2014.
- Joint Appointment in Medicine
- B.A., Hobart and William Smith College (New York) (1981)
- M.D., State University of New York, Downstate Medical Center College of Medicine (New York) (1988)
- M.P.H., Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (Maryland) (1991)
Research & Publications
Activities & Honors
- Rockefeller Foundation Policy Fellow, Bellagio Residency, Oct-Nov, 2016.
- Keynote Speaker, Medical University of South Carolina Global Health Annual Conference
- Inaugural Desmond M. Tutu Professor in Public Health and Human Rights
- Elected, Institute of Medicine, Class of 2014
- Recipient, Hobart Medal of Excellence
- World Health Organization Strategic and Technical Advisory Committee on HIV and Viral Hepatitis
- National Academy of Medicine
- 2014-2016 President, The International AIDS Society
- World Health Organization Strategic and Technical Advisory Committee on HIV/AIDS
- Mayor’s Commission on HIV/AIDS, City of Baltimore
- President, The International AIDS Society, 2014 - 2016
Videos & Media
Lectures and Presentations
U.S. House. “Mass Incarceration, Drug Policy, and HIV.”
U.S. Senate and House. “Where are We in Ending the AIDS Epidemic? An Update on Science.”
U.S. House and Senate. “The International AIDS Conference in Washington DC, 2012, Congressional Briefing.”
U.S. Senate. “PEPFAR and Combination Prevention for an AIDS-Free Generation.”
U.S. House of Representatives. “Piercing Burma’s Veil of Secrecy: The Truth Behind the Election and the Difficult Road Ahead.”