I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Chun Woo Choi, M.D.
Surgical director of ECMO (Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation) Program
Assistant Professor of Surgery
Specializes in: Adults (18+ years), Geriatrics (55+ years)
Languages: English, Korean
Expertise: Aortic Aneurysms, Cardiothoracic Surgery, Heart Failure, Ischemic Heart Disease, Valvular Heart Disease
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Main Entrance)
Appointment Phone: 410-955-2800
1800 Orleans St.
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Chun (Dan) W. Choi, M.D., joins the Johns Hopkins Division of Cardiac Surgery as a cardiothoracic/transplant surgeon. Dr. Choi’s areas of clinical expertise include adult cardiac surgery, mechanical circulatory support, heart, lung, and heart-lung transplant surgery.
Prior to joining Johns Hopkins, Dr. Choi served as assistant professor of cardiac surgery and director of the Ex-Vivo Heart Perfusion Program at the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine. He earned his bachelor of science degree in biochemistry and bachelor of arts degree in psychology from University of Washington. He received his medical degree from New York Medical College and went on to complete general surgery residency at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital and cardiothoracic surgery residency at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center. Dr. Choi completed his cardiothoracic transplant and mechanical circulatory support fellowship at the Stanford University School of Medicine.
Dr. Choi is a member of several professional organizations including the Society of Thoracic Surgeons, the American Medical Association and Association of American Medical Colleges.
Dr. Choi’s research interests include clinical outcomes in heart failure surgery, right ventricular failure, mechanical circulatory assist devices, and transplant.
- Surgical director of ECMO (Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation) Program
- Associate surgical director of MCS (mechanical circulatory support)
- Associate program director of cardiothoracic residency program
- Assistant Professor of Surgery
- MD, New York Medical College (2007)
- Rutgers - Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital / General Surgery (2013)
- UCLA Medical Center David Geffen School of Medicine / Cardiothoracic Surgery (2015)
- Stanford University Medical Center / Cardiothoracic Surgery (2016)
- American Board of Surgery / General Surgery (2014)
- American Board of Thoracic Surgery / Thoracic and Cardiac Surgery (2016)
Research & Publications
Choi CW, Ha RV. Chapter 95 Heart Transplantation. Abernathy’s Surgical Secrets, Seventh Edition. 2017. Ed. Harken, Moore.
Shudo Y, Choi CW, Woo YJ, Ha RV. "A modified implantation technique of left ventricular assist device: optimal outflow tract positioning." International Journal of Cardiology. 2016 Aug 26; 223:776-778
Gale SC, Shanker BA, Coyle SM, Macor MA, Choi C, Calvano SE, Corbett SA, Lowry SF. "Continuous enteral and parenteral feeding each reduces heart rate variability but differentially influences monocyte gene expression in humans." Shock. 2012 Aug; vol 38 no 3, 255-261
Sethi N, Choi C, Douyon P, Staicu S, Torgovnick J, Zablow B, Hirschfeld A, Robilotti E. "Images in Clinical Medicine: Moyamoya." The Internet Journal of Radiology. 2005 Dec; vol 4 no 1, 12/2005
Choi C, Anderson MB, Batsides GP. "Insertion of the Impella 5.0 left ventricular assist device via right anterior mini-thoracotomy: a novel practical approach." Innovations (Phila). 2011 Jul; vol 6 no 4, 265-266
Academic Affiliations & Courses
Courses and Syllabi
Cardiopulmonary bypass, Simulation Lab,
Cardiothoracic Resident Boot Camp
Activities & Honors
- Mary Gates Undergraduate Research Grant, University of Washington, 2000 - 2001
- Gates Millennium Scholar, The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, 2000 - 2002
- Academic Excellence Award, General Surgery Residency Program, Rutgers - Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, 2008 - 2009
- STS Looking to the Future Scholarship, The Society of Thoracic Surgeons, 2011
- Alpha Omega Alpha, Resident Inductee, Rutgers-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, 2013
- Resident Honoree, Student Clinician Ceremony, Rutgers-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, 2013
- Arnold P. Gold Humanism Award, Department of Surgery, Rutgers-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, 2013
- Resident of the Year, Department of Surgery, Rutgers-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, 2013
- Robert Rosenberg Humanitarian Award, Divisions of Cardiac and Thoracic Surgery, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, 2015
- Association of American Medical Colleges, 2007
- American Medical Association, 2007
- Alpha Omega Alpha, 2012
- The Society of Thoracic Surgeons, 2015
- Western Thoracic Surgical Association, 2016
Videos & Media
Lectures and Presentations
Radiographic imaging in clinical diagnosis
Lecture, Advance Nurse Practitioner Program, San Francisco (05/01/2016)
University of California
The art of chest tube management
Lecture, Lung Transplant Service Lecture Series (03/01/2016)
Stanford University Medical Center
Predicting Postoperative Atrial Fibrillation Using CHA2DS2-VASc Scores
Poster Presentation, 95th Annual Meeting (04/01/2015)
American Association for Thoracic Surgery
Surgical Training: Simulation vs. Practice
Lecture, Department of Surgery Grand Rounds (09/01/2012)
Rutgers-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
The heart rate variability and entropy gaps of serious injury
Oral Presentation, Surgical Forum, 96th Annual Clinical Congress (10/01/2011)
American College of Surgeons
Immune-related biomarkers and the development of nosocomial infections in ICU patients
Oral Presentation, 30th Annual Meeting (04/01/2010)
Surgical Infection Society
Tube thoracostomy: Indications and Technique
Lecture, Advanced Nurse Practitioner Program, New Brunswick, NJ (04/01/2010)