I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Marisa Ann Ryan, M.D., M.P.H.
Assistant Professor of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
Specializes in: Adolescents (12-18 years), Children (1-11 years), Infants (up to 1 year)
Expertise: Chronic Sinonasal Infection and Ear Disease, Diseases of the Ear and Nose, Diseases of the Throat in Children, Head and Neck Surgery, Hearing Loss, Otolaryngology, Pediatric Airway Disorders, Pediatric Chronic Sinonasal Infection and Ear Disease, Pediatric Ear Disease, Pediatric Head and Neck Masses, Pediatric Hearing Loss, Pediatric Neck Masses, Pediatric Otolaryngology, Pediatric Sinus Problems, Pediatric Sinusitis, Pediatric Sleep Apnea, Swallowing Disorders ...read more
Research Interests: Dr. Ryan’s research interests are in the incidence, prevention and treatment outcomes of pediatric head and neck disorders. ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 443-997-6467
600 N. Wolfe Street
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Johns Hopkins Medicine - Green Spring Station
Appointment Phone: 443-997-6467
10751 Falls Road
Falls Concourse Suite 408
Lutherville, MD 21093 map
Dr. Marisa Ryan is an assistant professor in the Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery. Following residency training, Dr. Ryan worked on faculty for two years at Duke University Medical Center. During that time she completed a NIH clinical research fellowship and M.P.H. in epidemiology. Subsequently, Dr. Ryan completed advanced pediatric otolaryngology training at Johns Hopkins. Her clinical interests include head and neck masses, sinus disease, voice disorders, airway disorders, swallowing disorders, and hearing loss, as well as the full spectrum of pediatric head and neck disorders. She offers minimally invasive endoscopic ear surgery and partial (intracapsular) tonsillectomy. Her research interests are in the incidence, prevention and treatment outcomes of pediatric head and neck disorders.
- Assistant Professor of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
- MD, Boston University School of Medicine (2010)
- Duke University School of Medicine / Otolaryngology (2015)
- American Board of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery / Otolaryngology (2016)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Ryan, MA, Boss EF. Patient Engagement in Otolaryngology. Otolaryngol Clin North Am 2019 Feb;52(1):23-33.
Ryan MA, Khoury T, Kaylie DM, Crowson MG, Brown CS, MCLennen, Raynor EM. Osseointegrated Implants for Auricluar Prostheses:An Alternative to Autologous Repair. Laryngoscope, 2018 Sep;128(9):2153-2156.
Ryan MA. Adherence to Clinical Practice Guidelines. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 20017 Oct;157(4):548-550.
Brown CS, Ryan MA, Ramprasad VH, Karas AF, Raynor EM. Coblation of suprastomal granulomas in tracheostomy-dependent children. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2017 May;96:55-58
Crowson MG, Ryan MA, Rocke DJ, Raynor EM, Puscas L. Variation in tonsillectomy rates by health care system type. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2017 Mar;94:40-44.
Activities & Honors
- Guidelines International Network and American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery Scholar, 2017
- American Medical Association SEED Grant Award, 2013
- American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery CORE Resident Research Grant Award, 2013
- Diana Radkowski Award for outstanding female student pursuing a career in surgery, Boston University School of Medicine, 2010
- American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
- American Society of Pediatric Otolaryngology
- Triological Society
- American Public Health Association
- Section for Residents and Fellows Representative, AA0-HNS, 2013
- Member Pediatrics Committee, AAO-HNS, 2016
- Member, Patient Safety and Quality Improvement Committee, AAO-HNS, 2016
- Peer Reviewer, AAO-HNSF Clinica Practice Guidelines
- Peer Reviewer, Annals of Otology, Rhinology & Laryngology
- Peer Reviewer, International Journal of Pediatric Otolaryngology
- Peer Reviewer, International Forum of Allergy and Rhinology
- Pediatric Otolaryngology Surgery Mission Trip, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, 2014
- Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery Visiting Consultant, AIC Hospital and CURE Hospital, Kijabe, Kenya, 2018
Videos & Media
Lectures and Presentations
Congenital cytomegalovirus infection and hearing loss
Presentation, Spring Meeting, Society of Otorhinolaryngology and Head-Neck Nurses (SOHN), Baltimore Medical Center, Towson, MD (01/01/2018)
Risk factors for anotia/microtia:The National Birth Defects Prevention Study 1997-2011
presentation, Perinatal and Pediatric Epidemiology Monthly Seminar, Chapel Hill, NC (01/01/2017)
Management of sleep disordered breathing in children
Grand Rounds presentation, Grand Rounds, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (01/01/2004)
Black Lion Hospital
Hearing Improvement after CO2 laser Myringoplasty
presentation, Annual Meeting, AAO-HNS Otology/Neurotology, Washington, DC (01/01/2012)
Fax Referral Systems for State Tobacco Cessation Quitlines
Presentation, Epidemiology Branch, Office on Smoking and Health, Atlanta, GA (01/01/2010)
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention