I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Justin Caplan, M.D.
Justin Michael Caplan, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Neurosurgery
Expertise: Acoustic Neuromas, Acute Stroke Care, Aneurysm Repair, Aneurysms, Arteriovenous Fistulas (AVF), Arteriovenous Malformations (AVM), Carotid Artery Stenosis, Cerebral Aneurysms, Cerebrovascular Diseases, Dural Arteriovenous Fistulas, Endovascular Surgery, Head & Neck Aneurysms, Intracerebral Hemorrhage , Intracranial Aneurysm, Ischemic Heart Disease, Minimally Invasive Endovascular Aneurysm Repair, Moyamoya Disease, Neurological Surgery, Neurosurgery, Open and Endovascular Surgical Techniques, Skull Base Tumors, Stroke, Stroke Imaging, Stroke Prevention, Stroke Recovery, Stroke Rehabilitation, Transient Ischemic Attack ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Dr. Caplan specializes in the treatment of cerebrovascular disorders of the brain, head, neck and spine, such as aneurysms, arteriovenous malformations, arteriovenous fistulas, moyamoya disease, carotid artery stenosis and stroke. He is dual fellowship trained in both open cerebrovascular neurosurgery and endovascular neurosurgery, allowing him to offer patients the full spectrum of the latest surgical and endovascular techniques in treating these diseases. Dr. Caplan also focuses on treating acoustic neuromas and other tumors of the skull base, including meningiomas.
Dr. Caplan graduated with honors from the Johns Hopkins University with a degree in neuroscience, where he spent time in the Hunterian Neurological Surgery Research Laboratory. He then earned his medical degree from Harvard Medical School. He completed his neurosurgery residency at Johns Hopkins, along with fellowships in cerebrovascular neurosurgery and endovascular neurosurgery, also at Johns Hopkins. He then completed an additional fellowship in endovascular neurosurgery at the University of Miami before returning to join the Johns Hopkins faculty.
- Assistant Professor of Neurosurgery
Departments / Divisions
- Neurosurgery - Endovascular Neurosurgery
Centers & Institutes
- MD, Harvard Medical School (2009)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Neurological Surgery (2016)
- University of Miami Miller School of Medicine / Neurological Surgery (2017)
Research & Publications
Dr. Caplan’s research focuses on improving the understanding of the biology and clinical outcomes of cerebrovascular diseases and developing improved treatment options. He serves as an investigator in multiple clinical trials and studies. Dr. Caplan is also a member of the Tarlov Cyst Initiative, which seeks to develop new treatments for patients with this condition.
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Caplan JM, Colby G, Coon A, Huang J and Tamargo RJ. Managing Subarachnoid Hemorrhage in the Neurocritical Care Unit. Neurosurgery Clinics of North America 24(3):321-337, 2013
Caplan JM, Papadimitriou K, Wuyang Y, Colby GP, Coon AL, Olivi A, Tamargo RJ, Huang J. The minipterional craniotomy for anterior circulation aneurysms: Initial experience with 72 patients. Neurosurgery 10 (Suppl 2):200-207, 2014
Caplan JM, Groves M, Jusue-Torres I, Kim J, Liauw J, Bydon A, Tamargo RJ. Microsurgical Obliteration of a Thoracic Spinal Perimedullary Arteriovenous Fistula. Neurosurgical Focus 37 (Suppl 2):Video 13, 2014
Caplan JM, Sankey E, Yang W, Colby G, Coon A, Tamargo R, Huang J. Impact of Indocyanine Green Videoangiography on Rate of Clip Adjustments following Intraoperative Angiography. Neurosurgery 75:437-444, 2014
Caplan JM, Kaminsky I, Gailloud P, Huang J. A Single Burr-hole Approach for Direct Transverse Sinus Cannulation for the Treatment of a Dural Arteriovenous Fistula. Journal of NeuroInterventional Surgery 7:E5, 2015
Activities & Honors
- Irving J. Sherman Award for Resident Achievement, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Department of Neurological Surgery, 2012 - 2012
- Timothy P. Susco Chair of Research Award for Excellence in Brain Aneurysm Research, Brain Aneurysm Foundation, 2013 - 2013
- Walter Dandy Award for Clinical Research, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Department of Neurological Surgery, 2014 - 2014
- Step for Hope Chair of Research Award for Excellence in Brain Aneurysm Research, Brain Aneurysm Foundation, 2015 - 2015
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS)
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons (CNS)
- Joint Cerebrovascular Section of the AANS/CNS
- Society of NeuroInterventional Surgery (SNIS)
- Chair of Fellows Committee, Society of NeuroInterventional Surgery, 2016