I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Corinna Clio Zygourakis, M.D.
Instructor of Neurosurgery
Expertise: Degenerative Spine Disease, Neurosurgery, Spinal Deformities, Spinal Tumors, Spine Surgery
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
600 N. Wolfe Street
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Corinna Zygourakis is a clinical instructor and spine fellow in the Department of Neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital. She completed her neurosurgery residency training at the University of California, San Francisco, in 2017, and obtained her M.D. degree from Harvard Medical School in 2011.
Her clinical focus is on complex spinal surgery, including spinal deformity and tumors. She is also trained in minimally invasive robot-assisted spine surgery. She has published more than 35 papers on healthcare costs, quality of neurosurgical care, and spine surgery.
Dr. Corinna Zygourakis currently sees patients on Tuesdays at the Johns Hopkins Bayview campus.
- Instructor of Neurosurgery
Departments / Divisions
- Neurosurgery - Spine
- MD, Harvard Medical School (2011)
- University of California San Francisco School of Medicine / Neurosurgery (2017)
- Pending/Scheduled / Neurosurgery
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Zygourakis CC, Valencia V, Moriates C, Boscardin CK, Catschegn S, Rajkomar A, Bozic KJ, Soo Hoo K, Goldberg AN, Pitts L, Lawton MT, Dudley RA, Gonzales R. Association Between Surgeon Scorecard Use and Operating Room Costs. JAMA Surg. 2017 Mar 1;152(3):284-291. doi: 10.1001/jamasurg.2016.4674
Zygourakis CC, Keefe M, Lee J, Barba J, McDermott MW, Mummaneni PV, Lawton MT. Comparison of Patient Outcomes in 3725 Overlapping vs 3633 Nonoverlapping Neurosurgical Procedures Using a Single Institution's Clinical and Administrative Database. Neurosurgery. 2017 Feb 1;80(2):257-268. doi: 10.1093/neuros/nyw067
Zygourakis CC, Liu CY, Keefe M, Moriates C, Ratliff J, Dudley RA, Gonzales R, Mummaneni PV, Ames CP. Analysis of National Rates, Cost, and Sources of Cost Variation in Adult Spinal Deformity. Neurosurgery. 2017 May 9. doi: 10.1093/neuros/nyx218. [Epub ahead of print]
Zygourakis CC, Yoon S, Valencia V, Boscardin C, Moriates C, Gonzales R, Lawton MT. Operating room waste: disposable supply utilization in neurosurgical procedures. J Neurosurg. 2017 Feb;126(2):620-625. doi: 10.3171/2016.2.JNS152442. Epub 2016 May 6.
Zygourakis CC, Liu CY, Wakam G, Moriates C, Boscardin C, Ames CP, Mummaneni PV, Ratliff J, Dudley RA, Gonzales R. Geographic and Hospital Variation in Cost of Lumbar Laminectomy and Lumbar Fusion for Degenerative Conditions. Neurosurgery. 2017 Aug 1;81(2):331-340. doi: 10.1093/neuros/nyx047.
Activities & Honors
- Excellence and Innovation Award in Graduate Medical Education, University of California San Francisco, 2016
- Sustainability Award from Chancellor for Project on OR Waste, University of California San Francisco, 2016
- Great Save Award, from CEO for OR Surgical Cost Reduction Project, University of California San Francisco Health, 2017
- Best Senior Clinical Research Presentation, Resident Research Day, University of California San Francisco, 2016
- Center for Healthcare Value Fellowship, University of California San Francisco, 2015 - 2016
- Naffziger Award for Outstanding Clinical Resident, University of California San Francisco, Neurosurgery Department, 2015
- CTSI Catalyst Award, Development of Doctor Mobile App that Decreases Costs, University of California San Francisco, 2015 - 2016
- Caring Wisely Grant, OR SCORE (OR Surgical Cost Reduction Project), University of California San Francisco, 2014 - 2015
- Cum laude, Harvard Medical School, 2011
- Seidman Prize for Outstanding Senior Medical Student Thesis, Harvard Medical School, 2011
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute Research Fellowship for Medical Students, 2008 - 2009
- Paul and Daisy Soros National Fellowship for New Americans, 2006 - 2008
- Mabel Beckman Award, Caltech Commencement Prize to Top Graduating Woman, 2006
- Jack E. Fröehlich Award, Caltech Academic Prize to Top Junior, 2005
- Axline and Lingle Awards, Caltech Full-Tuition Merit Scholarships, 2002 - 2006
- Neuroscience Research Prize, American Academy of Neurology & Child Neurology Society, 2002
- USA Today All-USA High School Academic Team, 2002
- United States Presidential Scholar, 2002
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons, 2011
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons, 2011
- North American Spine Society, 2017
- Aesculapian Club of Harvard Medical School, 2011