I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Phillip H. Phan, Ph.D.
Alonzo and Virginia Decker Professor
Joint Appointment in Medicine
Research Interests: Patient Safety and Quality; Transitions of Care; Decision Making
Dr. Phillip Phan holds a joint appointment in medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. His research focuses on the processes and barriers to the successful innovation of devices, therapies, services and processes. Dr. Phan is the Alonzo and Virginia Decker Professor of Strategy and Entrepreneurship at the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School.
He received his B.B.A. from the University of Hawaii and his Ph.D. from the University of Washington. He joined the Carey Business School faculty in 2008.
In addition to peer-reviewed articles, Dr. Phan is the author of eight books on governance, technology innovation and entrepreneurship. He is editor of the Academy of Management Perspectives, and associate editor for Medicine, Journal of Financial Stability and Journal of Technology Transfer.
- Alonzo and Virginia Decker Professor
- Joint Appointment in Medicine
Departments / Divisions
Centers & Institutes
- B.B.A., University of Hawaii (Manoa) (1984)
- Ph.D., University of Washington (Washington) (1992)
Research & Publications
Lee, Soo-Hoon Lee, Christopher Terndrup, Phillip H Phan, Sandra E Zaeh, Kwame Atsina, Nicole Minkove, Alexander Billioux, Souvik Chatterjee, Idoreyin Montague, Bennett Clark, Andrew Hughes, Sanjay V. Desai (forthcoming) A Randomized Cohort Controlled Trial to Compare Intern Sign-Out Training Interventions, Journal of Hospital Medicine, 2017, 12: in press
Lee, Soo-Hoon, Sanjay V. Desai, Phillip H Phan, The impact of duty cycle workflow on sign-out practices: a qualitative study of an internal medicine residency program in Maryland, USA, BMJ Open, 2017, 7(5): 1-8
Biskup, Toni, Phillip Phan, and Michelle Grunauer, Lessons from the Design and Implementation of a Pediatric Critical Care and Emergency Medicine Training Program in a Low Resource Country – The South American Experience, Journal of Pediatric Intensive Care, 2017, 6(1): 60-65
Lee, S-H., Dorman, T., Pronovost, P., Phan, P., ICU, ED, OR, MED Doctors' Perceptions of Teamwork and Patient Transfers: Evidence from HSOPS, Critical Care Medicine, 2016, 44(12): 347
Wong, Dean F., Robert Innis, Lawrence M. Sung, Lisa Gold, Steven Paul, Phillip Phan, Steven Grant, Husseini Manji, New Models of Open Innovation to Rejuvenate the Biopharmaceutical Ecosystem, 2013, Neuropsychopharmacology 38: S17
Academic Affiliations & Courses
Courses and Syllabi
JHU Bootcamp for Technology Entrepreneurship
Activities & Honors
- Robert Bosch Foundation Public Policy Fellow, The American Academy in Berlin, 2006 - 2007
- Stephan Schrader Best Paper Award, Academy of Management, Technology and Innovation Management Division, 2007
- Society for General Internal Medicine
- Society for Critical Care Medicine
- Academy of Management
- InCMed Steering Committee, Johns Hopkins Department of Medicine
- Editor, Academy of Management Perspectives
- Associate Editor, Journal of Financial Stability
- Associate Editor, Journal of Technology Transfer
- Associate Editor, Journal of Family Business Strategy
- Senior Editor, Journal of Business Venturing, 1998
- Editorial Board, Academy of Management Journal, 2001