I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Dilhana Sumaiya Badurdeen, M.B.B.S.
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Languages: English, Sinhalese
Expertise: Colon Cancer, Colonoscopy, Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD), Obesity, Weight Loss
Research Interests: Obesity; Weight loss
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Gastroenterology and Hepatology - Howard County
APPOINTMENT PHONE: 410-933-7495
5450 Knoll North Drive Suite 390 Columbia, MD 21045
Dr. Badurdeen joins Johns Hopkins from Howard University Hospital, where she worked as an assistant professor in their GI division. She specializes in weight loss, GERD and colon cancer and has research interests in obesity and the treatment of metabolic disease.
Board certified in internal medicine and gastroenterology, Dr. Badurdeen has authored numerous peer-reviewed publications and has participated in many oral presentations at local and regional scientific meetings.
- Assistant Professor of Medicine
- MBBS, Manipal College of Medical Sciences (2007)
- Howard University Hospital / Internal Medicine (2011)
- Howard University Hospital / Gastroenterology (2015)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Gastroenterology (2015)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (2011)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Badurdeen D, Girgis M, Sanderson A, Laiyemo AO. Coxsackie Virus: An Unusual Cause of Pancreatitis. Am J Gastroenterol 2013;108(1):S88
Badurdeen D, Tesfaye B, Mekasha G, Jack M, Laiyemo A. Colonic Schistosomiasis: The Great Masquerade of Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Am J Gastroenterol 2013;108(1):S402
Badurdeen D, Brown K, Sanderson A, Laiyemo A. Black Esophagus. Am J Gastroenterol 2014; 109(2):S248
Tesfaye B, Arhinful J, Badurdeen D, Mekasha G. Strongyloides Colitis: A lethal mimic of Ulcerative Colitis. Am J Gastroenterol 2014;109(2):S402
Badurdeen D, Alkhalloufi K, Kibreab K, Begum R. Acute Pancreatitis and Sickle Cell Hepatopathy in a Pregnant Patient. Am J Gastroenterol 2014;109(2):S313
Activities & Honors
- Award for ‘Most Outstanding Presentation’ in the category of Translational and Clinical Sciences – Howard University Research day 2014
- Howard University Hospital GME Award for 'Outstanding Professionalism' - 2013
- American Association for the Study of Liver Disease (AASLD) and European Association for the Study of Liver Disease (EASL) – ‘Portal Hypertension and Variceal Hemorrhage Single topic conference Travel Award, Atlanta, Georgia - 2012
- Howard University Department of Medicine medal for research excellence - 2011
- 1st place winner of the podium presentation at the American College of Physicians (ACP) meeting - Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, Maryland - 2011
- American Gastroenterological Association, member, 2012
- American College of Gastroenterology, member, 2012
- American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, member, 2012
- Sri Lanka Medical Society, member, 2008
- Traveled to Sri Lanka to assist the Tsunami victims, 2005
- Participated in mobile eye camps for cataract surgery, Pokhara City Nepal, 2001
- Trekked to Poon Hill in the Annapurna range Nepal, to screen seniors for HTN, 2000
- Participated in screening projects for school children in rural areas of Pokhara City, Nepal, 1999