I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Macey L. Henderson, J.D., Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Surgery
Expertise: Chronic Kidney Disease, Epidemiology, Health Services Research, Kidney Transplant, Liver Transplant, Medical Ethics
Research Interests: live kidney donation; kidney transplantation; ethics; health policy and management
Dr. Henderson is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Surgery in the Division of Transplantation at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. She is a Core Faculty member of the Epidemiology Research Group in Organ Transplantation, and holds an appointment in the Department of Acute and Chronic Care in the Johns Hopkins University School of Nursing. Her primary area of research focuses on patient-oriented research, mobile health technology, medication adherence in transplant patients, health policy, social media, and long-term care management in transplant populations.
- Assistant Professor of Surgery
Departments / Divisions
- Surgery - Transplant Surgery
- B.A., Indiana University (Indianapolis) (Indiana) (2008)
- J.D., Indiana University (Bloomington) (Indiana) (2011)
- Ph.D., Indiana University (Indianapolis) (Indiana) (2016)
Research & Publications
Landscape of Living Multi-organ Donation in the United States: A Registry-Based Cohort Study. Henderson ML, DiBrito SR, Thomas AG, Holscher CM, Shaffer AA, Bowring MG, Purnell TS, Massie AB, Garonzik-Wang J, Waldram M, Lentine KL, Segev DL. Transplantation. 2018 Jan 11. doi: 10.1097/TP.0000000000002082. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 29329190 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
Living Organ Donation and Informed Consent in the United States: Strategies to Improve the Process. Henderson ML, Gross JA. J Law Med Ethics. 2017 Mar;45(1):66-76. doi: 10.1177/1073110517703101. PMID: 28661285 [PubMed - in process]
Social media and organ donation: Ethically navigating the next frontier. Henderson ML, Clayville KA, Fisher JS, Kuntz KK, Mysel H, Purnell TS, Schaffer RL, Sherman LA, Willock EP, Gordon EJ. Am J Transplant. 2017 Nov;17(11):2803-2809. doi: 10.1111/ajt.14444. Epub 2017 Aug 24.PMID: 28744966 [PubMed - in process]
Activities & Honors
- Career Development (K01) Award, National Institute for Diabetes Digestive and Kidney Diseases, 2017
- Dean Rothman Award in Surgical Research, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, 2017
- Faculty Development Award, Johns Hopkins Center for AIDS Research (JHU CFAR), 2017
- American Society of Transplant Surgeons
- American Society of Transplantation
- American Society for Bioethics and Humanities
- Academy for Professionalism in Health Care
- American Society for Reconstructive Transplantation
- Board of Directors, Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network/United Network for Organ Sharing, Richmond, VA