I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Blaithin Antoinette McMahon, M.B. B.CH. B.A.O., Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Languages: English, French
Research Interests: Nephrology; Kidney diseases
Dr. Blaithin A. McMahon is an Assistant Professor of Medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
She earned her MB BCh BAO and Ph.D. (Medicine) from the School of Medicine and Medical Science, University College Dublin, Ireland. She completed Internal Medicine residencies at both Dublin Academic Medical Centre, Ireland and Johns Hopkins Hospital. She obtained her membership to the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland. She performed a 3 year fellowship in nephrology at Johns Hopkins Hospital and is ABIM certified in both Internal Medicine (2014) and Nephrology (2016).
Dr. McMahon's research interests include acute kidney injury (AKI) and risk stratification in AKI. Other research interests include continuous renal replacement therapy and onconephrology.
- Assistant Professor of Medicine
- MB BCh BAO, University College Dublin (2006)
- Dublin Academic Medical Centre / Internal Medicine (2008)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Internal Medicine (2013)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Nephrology (2016)
Research & Publications
- Prospective Validation of Acute Kidney Injury Biomarkers and Definitions in Critically ill Patients
- The Prognostic Value of Response to Loop Diuretics for Severity and Outcome of Acute Kidney Injury (The Furosemide Stress Test). The Effect of Loop Diuretics on Severity and Outcome of Acute Kidney Injury
- The Prognostic Value of Response to Intraoperative Loop Diuretics on Outcomes of Delayed Graft Function (The ‘Furosemide Stress Test’ in renal transplant patients).
- Efficacy and Safety of Atacicept in IgA Nephropathy
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
McMahon, BA and Koyner JL. Have biomarkers failed in acute kidney injury? No. Intensive Care Med. 2017 Apr 24 doi 10.1007/s00134-017-4792-2. [Epub ahead of print]
Longenecker JC, Waheed S, Bandak G, Murakami CA, McMahon BA, Gelber AC, Atta MG. Hyperuricemia after orthotopic liver transplantation: divergent associations with progression of renal disease, incident end-stage renal disease, and mortality. BMC Nephrology. 2017 March 27;18 (1): 103.
McMahon BA, Moran R, Novick T, Bagnasco S, and Atta MG, Sperati CJ. Renal thrombotic microangiopathy, podocytopathy and chylous ascites. American Journal of Medicine (Green Journal).Oct 2016; 129:e227-31.
McMahon, BA and Koyner JL. Risk Stratification for Acute Kidney Injury: Are Biomarkers enough? Invited Review. ACKD. May 2016. 23(3): 167-78
Novick T, McMahon BA, Berliner A and Jaar BG. Cinacalcet-Associated Severe Hypocalcemia resulting in Torsades de Pointes and Cardiac Arrest: A Case for Caution. Europ J. Clin Pharmacol. Dec 1 2015: 72(3): 375-5
Academic Affiliations & Courses
Graduate Program Affiliation
Longcope Firm Faculty -Johns Hopkins School of Medicine