I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Shane Erik Ottmann, M.D.
Director, Living Donor Kidney Transplant Program
Assistant Professor of Surgery
Expertise: Abdominal Surgery, Dialysis Access, General Surgery, Hepatobiliary Surgery, Kidney Transplant, Laparoscopic Nephrectomy, Live Donor Liver Transplant, Liver Transplant, Pancreas Transplant ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
APPOINTMENT PHONE: 443-287-7178
600 N Wolfe Street Blalock 659 Department of Surgery Baltimore, MD 21287
Shane Ottmann, M.D., is an assistant professor of surgery at Johns Hopkins, working primarily with the Comprehensive Transplant Center. He is also the director of the Living Donor Kidney Transplant Program. Dr. Ottmann’s areas of clinical expertise include abdominal surgery, dialysis access, liver transplant, kidney transplant, pancreas transplant, live donor transplant, hepatobiliary surgery, and laparoscopic nephrectomy.
Before joining Johns Hopkins, Dr. Ottmann served as Chief of the Army-Navy Transplant Program at Walter Reed Military Medical Center and Transplant Consultant to the Army Surgeon General.
Dr. Ottmann received his undergraduate degree from William Jewell College and earned his medical degree from the University of Missouri. He completed his residency at Walter Reed Army Medical Center and his abdominal organ transplant fellowship at the University of Pennsylvania. He is a member of the American College of Surgeons and the American Society of Transplant Surgeons.
Dr. Ottmann’s research interests include organ preservation, hepatocellular carcinoma, and the expansion of living donor transplant.
- Director, Living Donor Kidney Transplant Program
- Assistant Professor of Surgery
Departments / Divisions
- Surgery - Transplant Surgery
- Surgery at Suburban Hospital - Transplant Surgery
Centers & Institutes
- MD, University of Missouri Columbia (1999)
- National Capital Consortium / General Surgery (2005)
- Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania / Transplant Surgery (2010)
- American Board of Surgery / Surgery (2006)
Research & Publications
Vertrees A, Kellicut D, Ottmann S, Peoples G, Shriver C. Early definitive abdominal closure using serial closure technique on injured soldiers returning from Afghanistan and Iraq. J Am Coll Surg. 2006 May;202(5):762-72.
LaMattina JC, Jason MP, Hanish SI, Ottmann SE, Klassen DK, Potosky D, Hutson WR, Barth RN. Safety of belatacept bridging immunosuppression in hepatitis C positive post liver transplant patients with renal dysfunction. Transplantation 2014 Jan: 27 133-37.
Clayton EF, Malik S, Bonnel A, Mu Y, Olthoff K, Shaked A, Abt PL, Peterman H, Rajender Reddy K, Ottmann S, Furth EE, Levine MH. Liver transplant in cirrhotomimetic hepatocellular carcinoma: classification and outcomes. Liver Transpl. 2014 Jul: 20(7)765-74.
Activities & Honors
- George C. Marshall Award, 1992
- Distinguished Military Graduate, 1992
- Marion S. Deweese Award, Surgery, University of Missouri Columbia, 1999
- Cum Laude, University of Missouri Columbia, 1999
- Bailey K Ashford Award (semi finalist) Military Research Competition, 2005
- Army Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster, 2005
- Army Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster, 2005
- Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster, 2008
- Combat Action Badge, Afghanistan, 2011
- Associate Fellow, American College of Surgeons, 2005
- Member, the American Society of Transplant Surgeons, 2010
- ASTS VCA, Committee, 2014