I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Eric Bradley Jelin, M.D.
Director, Fetal Program, Johns Hopkins Children’s Center
Assistant Professor of Surgery
Languages: English, Spanish
Expertise: Advanced Laparoscopy, Anti-reflux Surgery, Biliary Atresia, Biliary Tract Surgery, Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia, Esophageal Surgery, Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO), Fetal Surgery, Fetoscopy, Necrotizing Enterocolitis, Neonatal Surgery, Pectus Carinatum, Pectus Excavatum, Pediatric Oncologic Surgery, Pediatric Surgery, Pediatric Trauma, Thoracic Surgery, Tracheoesophageal Fistula, Wilms Tumor ...read more
Research Interests: Fetal therapy for congenital bilateral renal agenesis (CoBRA); outcomes after fetal therapy for congenital diaphragmatic hernia and cystic pulmonary airway malformation; pediatric enhanced recovery after surgery (ERAS) ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Main Entrance)
APPOINTMENT PHONE: 443-997-5437
1800 Orleans Street The Charlotte R. Bloomberg Children's Center Building, Suite 7323 Baltimore, MD 21287
Johns Hopkins Medicine - Howard County
APPOINTMENT PHONE: 410-502-6649
10700 Charter Drive Charter Professional Center, Suite 140 Columbia, MD 21044
Johns Hopkins Heart and Vascular Institute - GBMC
APPOINTMENT PHONE: 443-849-6201
6701 N. Charles Street Physicians Pavilion East Suite 313 Towson, MD 21204
Eric Jelin is a pediatric surgeon and director of the Johns Hopkins Children's Center Fetal Program—a multidisciplinary treatment team which features experts in fetal, maternal, neonatal and pediatric care.
In his role for the Johns Hopkins Children’s Center, Dr. Jelin performs prenatal, neonatal and pediatric surgery, as well as counsel parents with pregnancies complicated by fetal anomalies.
A native of New York City, Dr. Jelin comes to Johns Hopkins from the Children’s National Medical Center in Washington, D.C., where he was a fellow in pediatric surgery from 2013-2015. His research interests are finding novel therapies to treat congenital bilateral renal agenesis and improving outcomes after fetal therapy for congenital diaphragmatic hernia (CDH) and cystic pulmonary airway malformation. He is also director of the JHH Children's Center CDH working group and the surgical director the Children's Center enhanced recovery after surgery (ERAS) program.
- Director, Fetal Program, Johns Hopkins Children’s Center
- Assistant Professor of Surgery
- Assistant Professor of Gynecology and Obstetrics
Centers & Institutes
- MD, Harvard Medical School (2005)
- University of California San Francisco School of Medicine / General Surgery (2008)
- University of California San Francisco School of Medicine / General Surgery (2013)
- Children's National Medical Center / Pediatric Surgery (2015)
- American Board of Surgery / General Surgery (2013)
- American Board of Surgery / Pediatric Surgery (2016)
Research & Publications
Technology Expertise KeywordsFetal surgery; Fetal Intervention; Pediatric Enhanced Recovery after Surgery
Clinical Trial KeywordsBilateral Renal Agenesis, Serial Amnioinfusions, Congenital Bilateral Renal Agenesis, CoBRA, Renal Ageneis Fetal Therapy, RAFT
This study offers eligible pregnant patients with a fetal diagnosis of congenital bilateral renal agenesis (CoBRA) serial amnioinfusions with normal saline. All eligible patients will be offered intervention but may also elect expectant management.
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Jelin EB, Etemadi M, Encinas J, Schecter SC, Chapin C, Wu J, Guevara-Gallardo S, Nijagal A, Gonzales KD, Ferrier WT, Roy S, Miniati D. Dynamic tracheal occlusion improves lung morphometrics and function in the fetal lamb model of congenital diaphragmatic hernia. J Pediatr Surg. 2011 Jun;46(6):1150-7. doi: 10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2011.03.049. PubMed PMID: 21683214; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3128884.
Leeds IL, Boss EF, George JA, Strockbine V, Wick EC, Jelin EB. Preparing enhanced recovery after surgery for implementation in pediatric populations. J Pediatr Surg. 2016 Dec;51(12):2126-2129. doi: 10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2016.08.029. Epub 2016 Sep 5. PubMed PMID: 27663124; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5373552
Jelin E, Hirose S, Rand L, Curran P, Feldstein V, Guevara-Gallardo S, Jelin A, Gonzales K, Goldstein R, Lee H. Perinatal outcome of conservative management versus fetal intervention for twin reversed arterial perfusion sequence with a small acardiac twin. Fetal Diagn Ther. 2010;27(3):138-41. doi: 10.1159/000295176. Epub 2010 Mar 9. PubMed PMID: 20215730
Seravalli V, Jelin EB, Miller JL, Tekes A, Vricella L, Baschat AA. Fetoscopic tracheal occlusion for treatment of non-isolated congenital diaphragmatic hernia. Prenat Diagn. 2017 Oct;37(10):1046-1049. doi: 10.1002/pd.5139. Epub 2017 Sep 10. PubMed PMID: 28891233
Ladd MR, Jelin EB. The Pediatric Surgeon’s Role in Prenatal Counseling. Current Treatment Options in Pediatrics. 2017 June; 3(2):77-97.
Activities & Honors
- Judson Randolph Fellow, Children's National Health Sytsem, 2014 - 2015
- Esther Nusz Resident Achievement Award, University of California San Francisco, 2013
- Absite 99th percentile Award, UUCSF, 2011
- Young Investigator Award, International Fetal Medicine and Surgey Society, 2011
- Judah Folkman Prize, American Pediatric Surgery Association, 2009
- Frederick T. Sheldon Traveling Fellowship, Harvard College, 2000 - 2001
- B.A. Summa Cum Laude, Havard College, 2000
- American College of Surgeons, 2017
- American Pediatric Surgery Association, 2014
- International Fetal Medicine and Surgery Society, 2014
- American Academy of Pediatrics, 2014
- Association for Academic Surgery, 2016