I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Levan Atanelov, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Languages: English, Georgian, Hebrew, Russian, Spanish
Expertise: Patient Safety and Risk Management, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Prevention of Frailty, Spasticity Management
Research Interests: Interventions to Reduce Falls in the Elderly
Dr. Levan Atanelov is a part-time Assistant Professor at the Johns Hopkins Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.
Dr. Atanelov specializes in nonsurgical orthopaedic medicine and rehabilitation and spasticity management. He is also devoted to improvement of medical quality and safety, and is a part of the public health project on reducing falls after discharge from inpatient rehabilitation units.
- Assistant Professor of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Departments / Divisions
- MD, University of California San Diego School of Medicine (2011)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (2015)
- American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehab / Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation (2017)
Research & Publications
Atanelov L. editor. Resident's Handbook of Medical Quality and Safety. Springer 2016.
Hoyer EH, Friedman M, Lavezza A, Wagner-Kosmakos K, Lewis-Cherry R, Skolnik JL, Byers SP, Atanelov L, Colantuoni E, Brotman DJ, Needham DM. Promoting mobility and reducing length of stay in hospitalized general medicine patients: A quality-improvement project. J Hosp Med. 2016 May;11(5):341-7. doi: 10.1002/jhm.2546.
Atanelov L, Stiens SA, Young MA. History of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation and Its Ethical Dimensions. AMA J Ethics. 2015 Jun 1;17(6):568-74. doi: 10.1001/journalofethics.2015.17.6.mhst1-1506.
González-Fernández M, Ottenstein L, Atanelov L, Christian AB. Dysphagia after Stroke: an Overview. Curr Phys Med Rehabil Rep. 2013 Sep;1(3):187-196.
Hoyer EH, Needham DM, Atanelov L, Knox B, Friedman M, Brotman DJ. Association of impaired functional status at hospital discharge and subsequent rehospitalization. J Hosp Med. 2014 May;9(5):277-82. doi: 10.1002/jhm.2152. Epub 2014 Feb 26.
Activities & Honors
- Samuel Katims Scholar in Medical Humanism, American College of Medical Quality
- Phi Beta Kappa Honors Society
- Fellowship, Medical Quality Improvement and Safety, Armstrong Institute for Patient Safety and Quality, Johns Hopkins
Videos & Media
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
Falls and Fall Prevention Webinar | Johns Hopkins Medicine