I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Vivek Kumbhari, M.B.Ch.B.
Director of Bariatric Endoscopy
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Expertise: Bariatric Endoscopy, Barrett's Ablation, Cirrhosis, Double Balloon Enteroscopy, Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography, Endoscopic Ultrasound, Endoscopic Ultrasound With Fine Needle Aspiration, Endoscopic ultrasound-guided biliary drainage (EUS-BD), Gastroenterology, Innovative Endoscopy, Large Polyp Endoscopic Mucosal Resection, Obesity, Weight Loss ...read more
Research Interests: Obesity, treatment of metabolic disease, endoscopic innovation, submucosal endoscopy, interventional EUS
Dr. Vivek Kumbhari is the director of bariatric endoscopy at Johns Hopkins Medicine, as well as an assistant professor of medicine at The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He has been practicing medicine at Johns Hopkins for five years and recently joined the medical staff at Sibley, where he sees patients on Mondays and Fridays.
Dr. Kumbhari provides a range of services, including endoscopic ultrasound (EUS). His expertise includes minimally invasive, non-surgical therapies to facilitate weight loss and the treatment of obesity-related diseases, such as hypertension and diabetes, as well as performing endoscopic therapies to treat oncologic conditions involving the gastrointestinal tract.
Dr. Kumbhari has research interests in endoscopic innovation, interventional endoscopic ultrasonography, obesity, submucosal endoscopy and treatment of metabolic disease. He has contributed to over 150 peer-reviewed publications, book chapters and invited reviews, and speaks both nationally and internationally.
Dr. Khumbari is also a member of the Bariatric Surgery Source Advisory Council. He reviews content to help ensure accurate, up-to-date information is available online to prospective patients.
Expertise in oncologic endoscopic therapies include:
- EUS-guided billiary drainage; pancreatic drainage; coil and glue injection of gastric varices; and drainage of pancreatic fluid collections
- EGD/Col with full thickness resection
- Large polyp EMR and ESD
- Double balloon enteroscopy
- Barrett's ablation (cryoablation and RFA)
- Barrett's EMR and ESD
Expertise in bariatric endoscopy include:
- Management of post-surgical conditions
- Minimally invasive, incisionless weight loss therapies, including gastric balloon, endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty and aspiration therapy
- Endoscopy suturing to reduce the size of the gastric pouch and outlet for gastric bypass; treat leaks and fistulas; and secure full-covered stents
- Director of Bariatric Endoscopy
- Assistant Professor of Medicine
Departments / Divisions
Centers & Institutes
- MBCHB, University of Otago (2005)
- Westmead Hospital / Internal Medicine (2010)
- Saint George Hospital / Gastroenterology (2012)
- Bankstown-Lidcombe Hospital / Gastroenterology (2013)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Gastroenterology (2015)
- United States Medical Licensing Examination Step 1
- United States Medical Licensing Examination Step 2 CK
- United States Medical Licensing Examination Step 2 CS
- United States Medical Licensing Examination Step 3
- General Medical Registration, Medical Board of Australia (2007)
- ECFMG Certification (2011)
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (2012)
- US State Registration (2013)
Research & Publications
Activities & Honors
- American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, 2010
- American College of Gastroenterology, 2010
- American Gastroenterology Association, 2010
- Member of Gastroenterological Society of Australia, 2010
- Sydney Gut Club, 2010
- Sydney Young Gut Club, 2010
- Sydney Liver Group, 2010
Videos & Media
Vivek Kumbari, M.D. | Director of Bariatric Endoscopy, Johns Hopkins Medicine
Transoral Gastric Outlet Reduction Program | Q&A
Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty Program | Q&A
Aspiration Therapy | Q&A Video
#TomorrowsDiscoveries: Discoveries with Weight Loss – Vivek Kumbhari, M.D.
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
Hopkins Researchers Deliver Gene Therapy Directly to the Liver, Inside Tract (Fall 2018)
Don't Weight: Available Non-Surgical Weight Loss Options, webinar recorded February 2018
Local woman undergoes procedure to lose 100 pounds, Williamsport, PA, Sun-Gazette, November 2017
New, Endoscopic Approaches to Weight Loss, Inside Tract (Winter 2017)
New Endoscopic, Non-Surgical Options for Weight Loss, webinar recorded April 2015
Up and Away Go the Pounds, Inside Tract (Fall 2015)
For Health Care Providers: