I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Vivek Kumbhari, M.B.Ch.B.
Director of Bariatric Endoscopy
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Expertise: Bariatric Endoscopy, Gastroenterology, Innovative Endoscopy, Obesity, Weight Loss
Research Interests: Obesity, treatment of metabolic disease, endoscopic innovation, submucosal endoscopy, interventional EUS
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 410-550-0796
4940 Eastern Avenue
A Building, 5th floor
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
Johns Hopkins Weight Management Center
550 N. Broadway
Concierge Weight Loss Program, Suite 1001
Baltimore, MD 21205 map
The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Main Entrance)
1800 Orleans St.
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Johns Hopkins Medicine - White Marsh
4924 Campbell Boulevard
Nottingham, MD 21236 map
Dr. Vivek Kumbhari is Assistant Professor of Medicine, Director of Endoscopy at Bayview Medical Center and Director of Bariatric Endoscopy at Johns Hopkins Medicine.
His areas of expertise include minimally invasive, non-surgical therapies to facilitate weight loss and the treatment of obesity related diseases such as hypertension and diabetes. Dr. Kumbhari is also internationally renowned for minimally invasive, non-surgical methods to manage complications of surgery. Additionally, he is an expert in performing endoscopic therapies to treat oncologic conditions involving the gastrointestinal tract.
Dr. Kumbhari was born and raised in Sydney, Australia. He completed his GI training at Sydney's leading hospitals and was one of the youngest ever to become an Attending GI Physician in Australia. To further his knowledge, he joined the prestigious two year Advanced Endoscopic Fellowship program at Johns Hopkins. During this training period, in addition to clinical excellence, he began to push the frontiers of endoscopic therapies gaining him international recognition. He then joined the GI faculty at Johns Hopkins and began to take on several leadership roles. From a research perspective, he boasts almost 100 peer-reviewed publications, book chapters and invited reviews. He is an invited speaker both nationally and internationally. He is in his final year of his PhD which focuses on minimally invasive flexible endoscopic surgery.
Dr. Kumbhari understands the challenges involved in not only losing weight, but also maintaining weight after it has been lost. He understands the holistic nature when it comes to losing weight and works intimately with colleagues who are expert nutritionists and bariatricians. He believes in arming the patient with knowledge and providing them with the most up-to-date therapeutic options.
- Director of Bariatric Endoscopy
- Director of Endoscopy, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
- Assistant Professor of Medicine
Centers & Institutes
- MBCHB, University of Otago (2005)
- Westmead Hospital / Internal Medicine (2010)
- Saint George Hospital / Gastroenterology (2012)
- Bankstown-Lidcombe Hospital / Gastroenterology (2013)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Gastroenterology (2015)
- United States Medical Licensing Examination Step 1
- United States Medical Licensing Examination Step 2 CK
- United States Medical Licensing Examination Step 2 CS
- United States Medical Licensing Examination Step 3
- General Medical Registration, Medical Board of Australia (2007)
- ECFMG Certification (2011)
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (2012)
- US State Registration (2013)
Research & Publications
Activities & Honors
- American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, 2010
- American College of Gastroenterology, 2010
- American Gastroenterology Association, 2010
- Member of Gastroenterological Society of Australia, 2010
- Sydney Gut Club, 2010
- Sydney Young Gut Club, 2010
- Sydney Liver Group, 2010
Videos & Media
Vivek Kumbari, M.D. | Director of Bariatric Endoscopy, Johns Hopkins Medicine
Transoral Gastric Outlet Reduction Program | Q&A
Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty Program | Q&A
Aspiration Therapy | Q&A Video
#TomorrowsDiscoveries: Discoveries with Weight Loss – Vivek Kumbhari, M.D.
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
Local woman undergoes procedure to lose 100 pounds, Williamsport, PA, Sun-Gazette, November 2017
New, Endoscopic Approaches to Weight Loss, Inside Tract (Winter 2017)
New Endoscopic, Non-Surgical Options for Weight Loss, webinar recorded April 2015
Up and Away Go the Pounds, Inside Tract (Fall 2015)
For Health Care Providers: