I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Vivek Kumbhari, M.B.Ch.B.
Director of Bariatric Endoscopy
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Expertise: Bariatric Endoscopy, Endoscopic Ultrasound, Gastroenterology, Innovative Endoscopy, Obesity, Weight Loss
Research Interests: Obesity, treatment of metabolic disease, endoscopic innovation, submucosal endoscopy, interventional EUS
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 410-550-0796
4940 Eastern Avenue
GI Clinic, A Building, 5th floor
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
Sibley Memorial Hospital
5215 Loughboro Rd., NW
Washington, DC 20016 map
Johns Hopkins Weight Management Center
550 N. Broadway
Concierge Weight Loss Program, Suite 1001
Baltimore, MD 21205 map
The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Main Entrance)
1800 Orleans St.
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Johns Hopkins Medicine - White Marsh
4924 Campbell Boulevard
Nottingham, MD 21236 map
Dr. Vivek Kumbhari is the director of bariatric endoscopy at Johns Hopkins Medicine, as well as an assistant professor of medicine at The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He has been practicing medicine at Johns Hopkins for five years and recently joined the medical staff at Sibley, where he sees patients on Mondays and Fridays.
Dr. Kumbhari provides a range of services, including endoscopic ultrasound (EUS). His expertise includes minimally invasive, non-surgical therapies to facilitate weight loss and the treatment of obesity-related diseases, such as hypertension and diabetes, as well as performing endoscopic therapies to treat oncologic conditions involving the gastrointestinal tract. Dr. Kumbhari is also internationally renowned for minimally invasive, non-surgical methods to manage complications of surgery.
Dr. Kumbhari has research interests in endoscopic innovation, interventional endoscopic ultrasonography, obesity, submucosal endoscopy and treatment of metabolic disease. He has contributed to over 150 peer-reviewed publications, book chapters and invited reviews, and speaks both nationally and internationally.
Dr. Kumbhari understands the challenges involved in not only losing weight, but also maintaining weight after it has been lost. He understands the holistic nature when it comes to losing weight and works intimately with colleagues who are expert nutritionists and bariatricians. He believes in arming the patient with knowledge and providing them with the most up-to-date therapeutic options.
- Director of Bariatric Endoscopy
- Director of Endoscopy, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
- Assistant Professor of Medicine
Departments / Divisions
Centers & Institutes
- MBCHB, University of Otago (2005)
- Westmead Hospital / Internal Medicine (2010)
- Saint George Hospital / Gastroenterology (2012)
- Bankstown-Lidcombe Hospital / Gastroenterology (2013)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Gastroenterology (2015)
- United States Medical Licensing Examination Step 1
- United States Medical Licensing Examination Step 2 CK
- United States Medical Licensing Examination Step 2 CS
- United States Medical Licensing Examination Step 3
- General Medical Registration, Medical Board of Australia (2007)
- ECFMG Certification (2011)
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (2012)
- US State Registration (2013)
Research & Publications
Activities & Honors
- American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, 2010
- American College of Gastroenterology, 2010
- American Gastroenterology Association, 2010
- Member of Gastroenterological Society of Australia, 2010
- Sydney Gut Club, 2010
- Sydney Young Gut Club, 2010
- Sydney Liver Group, 2010
Videos & Media
Vivek Kumbari, M.D. | Director of Bariatric Endoscopy, Johns Hopkins Medicine
Transoral Gastric Outlet Reduction Program | Q&A
Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty Program | Q&A
Aspiration Therapy | Q&A Video
#TomorrowsDiscoveries: Discoveries with Weight Loss – Vivek Kumbhari, M.D.
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
Don't Weight: Available Non-Surgical Weight Loss Options, webinar recorded February 2018
Local woman undergoes procedure to lose 100 pounds, Williamsport, PA, Sun-Gazette, November 2017
New, Endoscopic Approaches to Weight Loss, Inside Tract (Winter 2017)
New Endoscopic, Non-Surgical Options for Weight Loss, webinar recorded April 2015
Up and Away Go the Pounds, Inside Tract (Fall 2015)
For Health Care Providers: