I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Smita Jha, M.D.
Specializes in: Adults (18+ years)
Languages: English, Hindi
Research Interests: metabolic bone diseases; genetics; adrenal diseases; diabetes
Suburban Hospital Inpatient Specialists - Johns Hopkins Community Physicians at Suburban
8600 Old Georgetown Road
4th Floor Hospitalist Office
Bethesda, MD 20814 map
Dr. Smita Jha is a part-time board-certified endocrinologist at the Johns Hopkins Community Physicians Suburban Hospital. She performs clinical research at the National Institutes of Health, Bethesda MD in areas of metabolic bone diseases, genetics and adrenal diseases. Her interests also include diabetes and thyroid disorders.
Dr. Jha earned her medical degree from Bangalore Medical College & Research Institute, India. She completed her residency in Internal Medicine at Tufts-affiliated North Shore Medical Center in Salem, MA and a fellowship in endocrinology at the National Institutes of Health, MD.
Dr. Jha participates in community outreach events and is a member of several regional and international professional organizations including Endocrine Society.
- MBBS, Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute (2007)
- Life Care Medical & Maternity Center / Internal Medicine (2007)
- North Shore Medical Center / Internal Medicine (2012)
- National Institutes of Health-Credentialing Services Section / Reproductive Endocrinology (2016)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Endocrinology/Diabetes/Metabolism (2016)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (2012)
Research & Publications
Papadakis GZ, Jha S, Bhattacharyya T, Millo C, Tu TW, Bagci U, Marias K, Karantanas AH, Patronas NJ. 18F-NaF PET/CT in Extensive Melorheostosis of the Axial and Appendicular Skeleton with Soft-Tissue Involvement. Clinical Nuclear Medicine 2017, July; 42 (7): 537-539
Jha S and Bhattacharyya T. Utilization and cost of anti-osteoporosis therapy among US Medicare beneficiaries. Archives of Osteoporosis 2016 December; 11(1): 28
Bhattacharyya T, Jha S, Wang H, Kastner DL, Remmers EF. Hypophosphatasia and the risk of atypical femur fractures: a case-control study. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders 2016; 17:332
Jha S, Wang Z, Laucis N, Bhattacharyya T. Trends in Media Reports, Oral Bisphosphonate Prescriptions, and Hip Fractures 1996-2012: An Ecological Analysis Journal of Bone and Mineral Research 2015; 30(12): 2179-2187
Jha S, Blau JE, Bhattacharyya T. Normal and Delayed Fracture Healing: Symphony and Cacophony. Hormone and Metabolic Research 2016; 48: 779-784
Activities & Honors
- Invited to compete in the Presidential Poster Competition for a first-authored top-scoring abstract- 2017, Endocrine Society Annual Meeting
- Letter of Honorable Mention, Outstanding Article of the Year - 2015, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
- Helmsley Charitable Trust Abstract Award in Diabetes - 2014, Endocrine Society
- Outstanding documentation in medical charts - 2013, Documentation Team at Northeast Hospital
- Best original research by a resident - 2012, North Shore Medical Center
- 2nd place, Oral presentation in clinical vignette - 2010, American Medical Association
- Tufts Teaching Award - 2010, Tufts University School of Medicine
- Fellow Travel Grant, Santa Fe Bone Symposium - 2017, Endocrine Society
- Fellow Travel Grant, American Society of Bone and Mineral Research Annual Meeting - 2017, Endocrine Fellows Foundation
- Fellow Travel Grant, Endocrine Society Annual Meeting - 2017, Endocrine Society
- Fellow Travel Grant, Endocrine Fellows Foundation Research Meeting - 2015, Endocrine Fellows Foundation
- Fellow Travel Grant, American Diabetes Association Fellows Forum on Metabolic Bone Diseases - 2014, Endocrine Fellows Foundation
- Endocrine Society
- American Society of Bone and Mineral Research
Videos & Media
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
More Support for Osteoporosis Drugs, Wall Street Journal (Feb 2016)
Fearing Drug's Rare Side Effects, Millions Take Their Chances With Osteoporosis, New York Times (June 2016)
Experts streamline guidelines for treating osteoporosis, CNN (May 2017)
Use of osteoporosis drugs have dropped following media reports of safety concerns, Medical Express (June 2015)
Did reports of side-effects contribute to drop in bone drug use? Reuters (July 2015)
Bisphosphonates use drop after media reports of safety concerns, Healio (June 2015)
Use of Fosamax, Other Bone Drugs Drop After Reports of Fractures, Lawsuits, About lawsuits, (July 2015)
The Importance - and Danger of TV Health News, Pacific Standard (2015)
Following Media Reports of Safety Concerns, Use of Osteoporosis Drugs Down, Science 2.0 (June 2015)