I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
James Xunhai Xu, M.D.
Expertise: Bladder Cancer, Hematology, Kidney Cancer, Lung Cancer, Oncology, Prostate Cancer
Potomac Oncology and Hematology
6000 Executive Boulevard
Rockville, MD 20852 map
Dr. James Xu received a bachelor of science in chemical engineering with a minor in mathematics from Brigham Young University and his medical degree from University of Minnesota. He completed his internal medicine residency at the Yale-New Haven Hospital of Yale University in New Haven, CT, and his hematology and medical oncology fellowship at the New York-Presbyterian Hospital of Columbia University in New York City.
Because of his unique background in engineering and medicine, Dr. Xu was the recipient of the American Society of Clinical Oncology-Conquer Cancer Foundation Young Investigator Award in 2011 and Merit Award in 2012.
Dr. Xu is a strong advocate of precision medicine and he is the first person to have proposed and preliminarily confirmed the feasibility of using deep sequencing technology to detect genetic mutation in rare cell samples such as circulating tumor cells from cancer patients’ peripheral blood. He has published in peer-reviewed journals in lung, breast, and pancreatic cancers. Dr. Xu is board certified in internal medicine, hematology, and medical oncology.
Departments / Divisions
- Medicine at Suburban Hospital
- MD, University of Minnesota Medical School (2006)
- Yale-New Haven Hospital / Internal Medicine (2009)
- New York-Presbyterian/Columbia University Irving Medical Center / Hematology and Oncology (2012)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Hematology (2012)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Internal Medicine (2011)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Medical Oncology (2012)