I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Mary E. McCaul, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Dr. McCaul is a professor in the department of psychiatry and behavioral sciences at The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. She has served on expert panels and as a consultant for NIH, SAMHSA and other federal and private groups. She co-directs the JHU Integrated Program for Substance Abuse Research. Dr. McCaul has had continuous NIH research funding for over 30 years, and also has been the recipient of grant awards from many foundations supporting research into alcohol and drug use disorders. Her research ranges from human brain imaging to examine the neurotransmitter systems underpinning addictive disorders, to treatment effectiveness studies that examine psychological and pharmacological treatments for alcohol, illicit drug and nicotine use disorders. Over the last decade, her work also has focused on the intersection of alcohol and HIV. She has published numerous papers and invited book chapters on these topics.
- Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
- Associate Professor of Medicine
Research & Publications
Dr. McCaul has expertise in human behavioral pharmacology research. Most recently, her laboratory research has focused on alcohol effects in a variety of subject populations, including social drinkers, alcohol-dependent subjects and adult offspring of alcoholics. In addition, she has conducted several large-scale pharmacotherapy trials investigating the effectiveness of a variety of medications for alcohol- and opioid-dependent patients. She is the Principal Investigator on several NIH research projects examining alcohol and drug etiology, interventions and treatment effectiveness.
Activities & Honors
- Alpha Kappa Delta
- NIAAA New Investigator's Research Award, 1983 - 1986
- American Psychological Association, Fellow
- College on Problems of Drug Dependence
- Research Society on Alcoholism
- International Society for Biomedical Research on Alcoholism
- Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco
- Co-Chair, Government Affairs and Public Advocacy Committee, Research Society on Alcoholism, 1999
- Member, Government Affairs and Public Advocacy Committee, Research Society on Alcoholism, 1993
- Member, Nominations Committee, Research Society on Alcoholism, 2002
- Liaison, National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism Council, Research Society on Alcoholism, 1997
Videos & Media
Lectures and Presentations
NIH NIAAA & NIDA National Conference on Alcohol and Opioid Use in Women and Girls, Women’s Alcohol and Drug Treatment Engagement & Outcomes: Evidence and Implications, 2017
Friends of NIAAA, Expanding the Reach of Alcohol Treatment, 2014
Congressional Briefing (01/01/1900)
American Society for Addiction Medicine, Women, HIV and Alcohol, 2014
NIH NIDA National Drug Abuse Treatment Clinical Trials Network, Recent Thinking About Drinking: New Evidence-Based Approaches to Care, 2014
ATTC, Alcohol & Alcoholism: Behavioral Treatment Update, 2011