I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Quincy Samus, Ph.D.
Quincy Miles Samus, Ph.D.
Director, Translational Aging Services Core
Associate Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Expertise: Dementia, Memory Disorders
Research Interests: Quality of care in assisted living; Epidemiology of aging; Translational research initiatives in dementia care and management; Predictors of functional disability in elders; Quality of life in dementia; Community-based psychiatric care for older adults; Mental health in long term care settings ...read more
Dr. Quincy Samus, an Associate Professor in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, is an applied gerontologist, trained in epidemiology and health services research. Her research focuses on the care and delivery of health services to older adults and families affected by mental health conditions, primarily dementia, living in community and residential care settings. She directs the Translational Aging Services Core (TASC), whose mission it is to support the conceptualization, evaluation and implementation of innovative evidence-based practices that address the diverse needs of older adults with mental health conditions, their families, and caregivers. She has served as the lead field investigator or Principal Investigator on several large projects including the Maryland Assisted Living Study (MDAL), an epidemiological study of mental health disorders in assisted living (AL); The Maximizing Independence at Home Trial (MIND at Home), a randomized trial to test the efficacy of a novel community-based dementia care coordination model; and the Quality of Mental Health Care in assisted living study. The overarching goal of her work is to improve care quality and outcomes through translation of evidence-based practices to real world settings.
- Director, Translational Aging Services Core
- Associate Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Departments / Divisions
- Ph.D., University of Maryland (Baltimore County) (Maryland) (2007)
Research & Publications
- Samus QM, Johnston D, Black BS, Hess E, Lyman C, Vavilikolanu A, Pollutra J, Leoutsakos J-M, Gitlin LN, Rabins PV, Lyketsos CG. A multidimensional home-based care coordination intervention for elders with memory disorders: the Maximizing Independence at Home (MIND) Pilot Randomized Trial. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. 2014; 22(4):398-414. PMCID: In Process. NIHMSID #565040
- Black BS, Johnston D, Rabins PV, Morrison A, Lyketsos C, Samus QM. Unmet Needs of Community-Residing Persons with Dementia and Their Informal Caregivers: Findings from the MIND at Home Study. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2013; 61(12):2087-2095. PMCID: In Process. NIHMSID #565158.
- Samus QM, Onyike CU, Johnston D, Mayer L, McNabney M, Baker A, Brandt J, Rabins PV, Lyketsos CG, Rosenblatt A. 12-month Incidence, Prevalence, Persistence and Treatment of Mental Disorders among Individuals Recently Admitted to Assisted Living Facilities in Maryland. International Psychogeriatrics. 2013; 25(5):721-31.PMCID: PMC364885
- Samus QM, Vavilikolanu A, Mayer L, McNabney M, Brandt J,Lyketsos CG, Rosenblatt A. Cohort differences in dementia recognition and treatment indicators among assisted living residents inMaryland: Did a change in the resident assessment tool make a difference? International Psychogeriatrics. 2013; 25(12):2047 – 2056. PMCID: In Process. NIHMSID #565096
- Black BS, Johnston D, Morrison A, Rabins PV, Lyketsos CG, Samus QM. Quality of life of community-residing persons with dementia based on self-rated and caregiver-rated measures. Quality of Life Research, 2012; 21(8): 1379-1389. PMCID: PMC329688
- Marquardt G, Johnston DJ, Black B., Morrison A, Rosenblatt A, Lyketsos C, Samus, QM. A descriptive study of Home Modifications for People with Dementia and barriers to implementation Journal of Housing for the Elderly. 2011; 25(3): 258–273. PMCID: PMC3167170
- Johnston DJ, Samus QM, Morrison A, Leoutsakos JS, Hicks K, Handel S, Rye R, Robbins B, Rabins PV, Lyketsos CG, Black BS. Identification of community-residing individuals with dementia and their unmet needs for care. Int J Geriatric Psychiatry. 2011; 26(3): 292-8. PMCID: PMC3039061
- Samus QM, Rosenblatt A, Steele C, Baker A, Harper M, Brandt, J, Mayer L, Rabins PV, Lyketsos CG. Correlates of caregiver-rated quality of life in assisted living: the Maryland Assisted Living study. Journal of Gerontology B: Psychological Sciences and Social Sciences. 2006; 61(5): P311-4. PMCID: PMC2746023
- Samus QM, Rosenblatt A, Steele C, Baker A, Harper M, Brandt, J, Mayer L, Rabins PV, Lyketsos CG. The association of neuropsychiatric symptoms and environmental characteristics with quality of life in assisted living residents with dementia. The Gerontologist. 2005; 45:19-26. PMID:16230746
- Rosenblatt A, Samus QM, Steele CD, Baker A, Harper M, Brandt J, Rabins PV, & Lyketsos, CG. The Maryland assisted living study: Prevalence, recognition and treatment of dementia and other psychiatric disorders in the assisted living population of central Maryland. Journal of the American Geriatric Society. 2004; 52:1618-25.
Contact for Research Inquiries
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
5300 Alpha Commons Drive
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
Academic Affiliations & Courses
Graduate Program Affiliation
Science of Clinical Investigation Training Program
Courses and Syllabi
Quality Improvement and Knowledge Translation
Activities & Honors
- American Geriatrics Society
Videos & Media
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage