I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Leticia Manning Ryan, M.D., M.P.H.
Director of Research, Division of Pediatric Emergency Medicine
Associate Professor of Pediatrics
Expertise: Emergency Medicine, Pediatric Emergency Medicine
Research Interests: Injury epidemiology; Injury prevention; Child health disparities
The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Main Entrance)
1800 Orleans St. Sheikh Zayed Tower Baltimore, MD 21287
Phone: 443-287-5251 | Fax: 410-614-7339
Dr. Leticia Manning Ryan is an Associate Professor of Pediatrics at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and has a joint appointment in the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. Her areas of clinical expertise include pediatric emergency medicine.
Dr. Ryan received her medical degree with honors from the University of Vermont College of Medicine and a master’s degree in public health, from the George Washington University School of Public Health and Health Services. She completed her clinical training (residency in pediatrics, chief residency in pediatrics, fellowship in pediatric emergency medicine) from 1999-2006 at Children’s National Medical Center in Washington, DC where she remained as a faculty member until 2013.
Dr. Ryan’s research focuses on injury and violence prevention and has been funded through the National Institutes of Health and national and regional foundations. She completed a K23 Career Development Award to study the role of bone health in pediatric fractures and is a selected participant in the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Interdisciplinary Research Leaders Program. Dr. Ryan has authored or co-authored more than forty articles and book chapters in the fields of injury and emergency medicine.
- Director of Research, Division of Pediatric Emergency Medicine
- Associate Professor of Pediatrics
Centers & Institutes
- MD, University of Vermont College of Medicine (1999)
- Childrens National Medical Center / Pediatrics (2002)
- Childrens National Medical Center / Pediatrics (2003)
- Childrens National Medical Center / Pediatric Emergency Medicine (2006)
Research & Publications
Dr. Ryan’s research focuses on childhood injury prevention and child health disparities.
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Ryan LM, Teach S, Singer S, Wood R, Freishtat RJ, Wright JL, McCarter R, Tosi L, Chamberlain JM. Bone mineral density and vitamin D status among African American children with forearm fractures. Pediatrics 2012; 130: e553-e560.
Wood R, Rucker A, Lall A, Teach S, Chamberlain J, Ryan LM. Home fire safety practices in an urban pediatric emergency department population. Pediatric Emergency Care 2016; 32: 763-767.
Mangus C, Klein BL, Miller M, Stewart D, Ryan LM. Repeat Radiographic Imaging in Patients with Long Bone Fractures Transferred to a Pediatric Trauma Center. Journal of Investigative Medicine 2019; 67: 59-62.
Ryan LM, Solomon BS, Ziegfeld S, Gielen A, Malloy L, Foster D, Smith KC, McDonald E. Promoting Bike Helmet Safety for Urban Children Through a Culturally Tailored Educational Video. Health Promotion Practice 2019; e-publication ahead of print.
Ryan LM, Johnson SL, Jones V, Fein JA, Cheng TL. Is household composition associated with repeat fight injuries in urban adolescents? Journal of Interpersonal Violence. [In press]
Activities & Honors
- K23 Career Development Award, National Institutes of Health
- First Place in the Short Video category, for “You Make the Call”, a bike helmet promotion video created through the funded project, Promoting Bike Helmet Safety for Baltimore City Children through a Culturally Tailored Educational Video in the Primary Care Setting., Safety Media Awards at the 2018 World Conference on Injury Prevention and Safety Promotion
- Honorable Mention in the Evaluation category for “You Make the Call”, a bike helmet promotion video created through the funded project, Promoting Bike Helmet Safety for Baltimore City Children through a Culturally Tailored Educational Video in the Primary Care Setting., Safety Media Awards at the 2018 World Conference on Injury Prevention and Safety Promotion
- Elected to membership in the Society for Pediatric Research