I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Sewon Kang, M.D.
Chairman, Department of Dermatology
Professor of Dermatology
Languages: English, Korean
Expertise: Dermatology, Melanoma, Skin Aging, Skin Cancer
Research Interests: Photomedicine; Dermatology for Ethnic Skin
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 410-955-5933
601 N. Caroline Street
JHOC 8th Floor
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Sewon Kang is the Noxell Professor of Dermatology at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. His areas of clinical expertise include photomedicine, skin cancer (melanoma), skin aging, dermatology for ethnic skin, and general dermatology.
Dr. Kang serves as chairman of the Department of Dermatology and dermatologist-in-chief at The Johns Hopkins Hospital. He is also co-director of the Cutaneous Translational Research Program at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.
Dr. Kang received his undergraduate degree from Williams College. He earned his M.D. from University of Michigan Medical School and M.P.H. in Epidemiology from University of Michigan School of Public Health. He completed his residency and research fellowship in the Harvard Medical School’s Department of Dermatology at Massachusetts General Hospital. Dr. Kang joined the Johns Hopkins faculty in 2008.
He has been recognized with Presidential Citation by the American Academy of Dermatology and is a member of many professional organizations including the American Acne & Rosacea Society and American Dermatological Association.
- Chairman, Department of Dermatology
- Dermatologist-in-Chief, Johns Hopkins Hospital
- Noxell Professor of Dermatology
- Professor of Dermatology
Departments / Divisions
Centers & Institutes
- MD, University of Michigan Medical School (1987)
- Massachusetts General Hospital / Dermatology (1992)
- American Board of Dermatology / Dermatology- General (1992)
Research & Publications
Shin, J. Vincent JG, Cuda JD, Xu H, Kang S. Kim J. Taube JM. "Sox10 is expressed in primary melanocytic neoplasms of various histologies but not in fibrohistrocytic proliferations and histocytoses." J Am Acad Dermatol. 2012;67(4): 717-26
Yang NB, Garza LA, Foote CE, Kang S, Meyerle JH. "High prevalence of stump dermatoses remain prevalent in Vietnam veterans 40 years after amputation." Arch Dermatol. 2012; 148(11): 1283-1286
Finley AY, Torres V, Kang S, Bettoli V, Dreno B, Goh CL, Gollnick H. "Classification of acne scars is difficult even for acne experts." J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2013; 27: 391-393
Johnston A, Guzman AM, Swindell WR, Wang F, Kang S, Gudjonsson JE. "Early tissue responses in psoriasis to the antitumour necrosis factor-α biologic etanercept suggest reduced interleukin-17 receptor expression and signalling." Br J Dermatol. 2014; 1-11
Wang F, Smith N, Tran B, Kang S, Voorhees J, Fisher G. "Dermal damage promoted by repeated low – level UV-A1 exposure despite tanning response in human skin." JAMA Dermatol. 2014;150(4):401-406
Activities & Honors
- Diversity Recognition Award, Johns Hopkins University, 2011
- Presidential citation, American Academy of Dermatology, 2011
- Instructional Development Fund Award, University of Michigan, 2006
- Society for Investigative Dermatology, Galderma Acne Research Award, 2006
- TAMS Award, University of Michigan Medical School , 2005 - 2007
- Award for Teaching Excellence, University of Michigan Medical School , 1998 - 2004
- Finalist, Pre-Clinical Kaiser Permanente Award for Excellence in Teaching, 2003 - 2007
- Achievement in Clinical Research Award, University of Michigan Medical School , 2001
- Student Research Fellowship Mentor Stipend, Alpha Omega Alpha , 2001
- Teacher of the Month Award, University of Michigan Medical School , 2001
- Venture Investment Fund Award, University of Michigan , 2000 - 2002
- American Academy of Dermatology, 1992
- American Acne and Rosacea Society, 2005
- American Dermatological Association, 2004
- American Federation for Medical Research, 1989
- American Society for Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, 1996
- Dermatology Foundation, 1994
- Harvard House Officer's Club, 1988
- Inflammation Research Association, 1993
- Korean Dermatologic Association of America, 1992
- Korean Society for Psoriasis Research, 1998
- Korean-American University Professors Association, 1996
- Michigan Dermatological Society, 1993
- National Psoriasis Foundation, 1996
- Skin of Color Society, 2002
- Skin Pharmacology Society, 1993
- Society for Investigative Dermatology, 1992
Videos & Media
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
The Use of UVA1 to Treat Skin Disorders, Johns Hopkins Medicine (October 18, 2012)