I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Sewon Kang, M.D.
Chairman, Department of Dermatology
Professor of Dermatology
Languages: English, Korean
Expertise: Dermatology, Melanoma, Skin Aging, Skin Cancer
Research Interests: Photomedicine; Dermatology for Ethnic Skin
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
Appointment Phone: 410-955-5933
601 N. Caroline Street
JHOC 8th Floor
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Sewon Kang is the Noxell Professor and Chairman of the Department of Dermatology at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and the Dermatologist-in-Chief of Johns Hopkins Hospital. He is also founder and co-Director of the Cutaneous Translational Research Program (CTReP) at Hopkins.
A recipient of the Dermatology Foundation's Career Development Award, he has received other research awards and grants from the American Dermatological Association, the National Psoriasis Foundation and the National Institutes of Health (Roadmap T32, K24, and R01). His research focus has been in the areas of skin pharmacology and photomedicine. He is the Past President of the Photomedicine Society, and the American Acne and Rosacea Society. Dr. Kang is or has been on the Board of Directors of multiple organizations including, the Society for Investigative Dermatology, the Association of Professors of Dermatology, the Dermatology Foundation, and the Skin of Color Society. An author on over 240 publications and book chapters, Dr. Kang is also the Editor-in-Chief of the upcoming 9th edition of the Fitzpatrick's Dermatology textbook. He is an inventor/co-inventor of 17 patents and has given over 300 presentations globally.
A graduate with honors from Williams College and the University of Michigan, Dr. Kang completed dermatology residency and fellopwship at the Harvard Medical School/Massachusetts General Hospital. He sees patients exclusively at the Johns Hopkins Hospital, and his areas of clinical expertise include photomedicine, skin cancer (melanoma), skin aging, and dermatology for ethnic skin.
- Chairman, Department of Dermatology
- Dermatologist-in-Chief, Johns Hopkins Hospital
- Noxell Endowed Professor of Dermatology
- Professor of Dermatology
Departments / Divisions
Centers & Institutes
- MD, University of Michigan Medical School (1987)
- Massachusetts General Hospital / Dermatology (1992)
- American Board of Dermatology / Dermatology- General (1992)
Research & Publications
Fisher GJ, Datta S, Talwar HS, Wang ZQ, Varani J, Kang S, Voorhees JJ: Molecular basis of sun-induced premature skin aging and retinoid antagonism. Nature 1996;379:335-339 (All authors contributed qually to this work)
Fisher GJ, Wang ZQ, Datta SC, Varani J, Kang S, Voorhees JJ: Pathophysiology of premature skin aging induced by ultraviolet light. N Engl J Med 1997;337:1419-28
Abrams JR, Lebwohl MG, Guzzo CA, Jegasothy BV, Goldfarb MT, Goffe BS, Menter A, Lowe NJ, Krueger G, Brown MJ, Weiner RS, Birkhofer MJ, Warner GL, Berry K, Linsley PS, Krueger JG, Ochs HD, Kelley SL, Kang S: CTLA4Ig-mediated blockade of T cell costimulation in patients with psoriasis vulgaris. J Clin Invest 1999;103:1243-1252
Vandiver AR, Irizarry RA, Hansen KD, Garza LA, Li X, Chien AL, Wang TS, Leung S, Kang S, Feinberg AP. Synergistic age and sun-exposure-related widespread genomic blocks of hypomethylation in nonmalignant skin. Genome Bio 2015;16(1):80-94
Chien AL, Qi J, Cheng N, Do TT, Mesfin M, Ebgers R, Xie W, Chow C, Sachs D, Voorhees J, Kang S. Perioral wrinkles are associated with female gender, aging, and smoking; development of a gender-specific photonumeric scale. J Am Acad Dermatol 2016;75(5):924-930
Activities & Honors
- Diversity Recognition Award, Johns Hopkins University, 2011
- Presidential citation, American Academy of Dermatology, 2011
- Society for Investigative Dermatology, Galderma Acne Research Award, 2006
- TAMS Award, University of Michigan Medical School, 2005 - 2007
- Award for Teaching Excellence, University of Michigan Medical School, 1998 - 2004
- Achievement in Clinical Research Award, University of Michigan Medical School, 2001
- Student Research Fellowship Mentor Stipend, Alpha Omega Alpha, 2001
- Venture Investment Fund Award, University of Michigan, 2000
- American Academy of Dermatology
- American Acne and Rosacea Society
- American Dermatological Association Inductee
- Dermatology Foundation
- Korean Society for Psoriasis Research, Honorary Member
- Skin of Color Society, Director
- Society for Investigative Dermatology
- Association of Professors of Dermatology
- Photomedicine Society