I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Ramin Mojtabai, M.D., M.P.H., Ph.D.
Joint Appointment in Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Expertise: Adult Psychiatry, Psychiatry, Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Research Interests: Mental health treatment seeking; Mental heath services
The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Main Entrance)
Appointment Phone: 410-955-5104
1800 Orleans St.
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Ramin Mojtabai is a Professor in the Department of Mental Health at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health with joint appointment in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral sciences at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. His areas of clinical expertise include adult psychiatry and mental health services research.
Dr. Mojtabai received his medical degree from Tehran University of Medical Sciences in Iran. He completed his psychiatric residency at Albert Einstein College of Medicine’s Beth Israel Medical Center. Dr. Mojtabai also earned a Ph.D. in clinical psychology from the University of Tulsa, completing a clinical psychology internship at George Washington University Medical Center and a postdoctoral psychiatric research fellowship at Columbia University.
His mental health services research includes trends and correlates of treatment seeking for depression and other common mental disorders, barriers to accessing mental health and substance abuse services including stigma, the process and outcome of treatments of depression and other common mental and behavioral disorders in usual care settings, and pharmacoepidemiology of antidepressants and other psychiatric drugs.
Dr. Mojtabai has been recognized with the Klerman Award from the National Alliance for Research on Schizophrenia and Depression (NARSAD) and the Laughlin Award from the American College of Psychiatrists.
- Joint Appointment in Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Departments / Divisions
Research & Publications
Dr. Mojtabai’s research focuses on mental heath services and mental health treatment seeking.
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- Schomerus G, Matschinger H, Baumeister SE, Mojtabai R, Angermeyer MC. "Public attitudes towards psychiatric medication: a comparison between United States and Germany." World Psychiatry. 2014 Oct;13(3):320-1. doi: 10.1002/wps.20169.
- Chen-Edinboro LP, Kaufmann CN, Augustinavicius JL, Mojtabai R, Parisi JM, Wennberg AM, Smith MT, Spira AP. "Neighborhood physical disorder, social cohesion, and insomnia: results from participants over age 50 in the Health and Retirement Study." Int Psychogeriatr. 2014 Sep 15:1-8. [Epub ahead of print]
- Takayanagi Y, Spira AP, Bienvenu OJ, Hock RS, Carras MC, Eaton WW, Mojtabai R. "Antidepressant use and lifetime history of mental disorders in a community sample: results from the Baltimore Epidemiologic Catchment Area Study." J Clin Psychiatry. 2014 Aug 5.
- Nakimuli-Mpungu E, Wamala K, Okello J, Alderman S, Odokonyero R, Musisi S, Mojtabai R, Mills EJ. "Outcomes, feasibility and acceptability of a group support psychotherapeutic intervention for depressed HIV affected Ugandan adults: a pilot study." J Affect Disord. 2014 Sep;166:144-50. doi: 10.1016/j.jad.2014.05.005. Epub 2014 May 10.
- Chen LY, Crum RM, Martins SS, Kaufmann CN, Strain EC, Mojtabai R. "Patterns of concurrent substance use among nonmedical ADHD stimulant users: results from the National Survey on Drug Use and Health." Drug Alcohol Depend. 2014 Sep 1;142:86-90. doi: 10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2014.05.022. Epub 2014 Jun 10.
Activities & Honors
- Klerman Award, National Alliance for Research on Schizophrenia and Depression (NARSAD) Laughlin Award
- American Psychiatric Association