I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Mary Sheu, M.D.
Medical Director, Johns Hopkins Dermatology & Cosmetic Center, Green Spring Station
Assistant Professor of Dermatology
Expertise: Acne, Botox, Cosmetic Dermatology, Cutaneous Laser Surgery, Dermatologic Surgery, Dermatology, Hyperhidrosis, Laser Therapy, Rosacea, Skin Cancer ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Medicine - Green Spring Station
Appointment Phone: 410-955-5933
10755 Falls Road
Pavilion I Suite 350
Lutherville, MD 21093 map
Dr. Mary Sheu is an assistant professor of dermatology at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. She is a board-certified dermatologist and expert in cosmetic and laser procedures to improve the health and appearance of skin.
Dr. Sheu completed medical school at Brown University, internship in internal medicine at Stanford University and dermatology residency at the Oregon Health Science University.
Prior to joining Johns Hopkins in 2007, Dr. Sheu served on the adjunct clinical faculty at Stanford University and practiced dermatology in the San Francisco Bay Area.
She has authored peer-reviewed publications in the dermatology literature and conducted basic science and clinical research in dermatology. Dr. Sheu is an active member of the American Academy of Dermatology, American Society for Dermatologic Surgery.
Dr. Sheu is focused on helping patients achieve healthy, beautiful skin. Procedures offered:
- Injectables including Botox, Dysport, Xeomin
- Fillers including Resylane, Perlane, Juvederm, Juvederm Voluma, Radiesse, Belotero, and Sculptra
- Laser treatments for hair removal, sun spots, vascular lesions, rosacea, tattoo removal, skin rejuvenation and wrinkle treatment, birthmarks, acne scars, traumatic/surgical/burn scars
- Hyperhidrosis treatment including Botox and Miradry
- Sclerotherapy for spider leg veins
- Chemical peels
- Mole removal
- Skin cancer detection and treatment
- General dermatology
Dr. Sheu is currently accepting new patients. Please call 410-955-5933 to schedule an appointment or consultation.
- Medical Director, Johns Hopkins Dermatology & Cosmetic Center, Green Spring Station
- Assistant Professor of Dermatology
Departments / Divisions
Centers & Institutes
- MD, Brown University School of Medicine (2001)
- Oregon Health and Sciences University Hospital - GME / Dermatology (2005)
- American Board of Dermatology / Dermatology (2005)
Research & Publications
2000 Peter Elias, MD, DEPARTMENT OF DERMATOLOGY
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA , SAN FRANCISCO, CA
Investigated the immunomodulatory potential of PPAR-alpha and LXR nuclear receptor ligands on inflammatory skin disorders. Assisted with clinical trials for the treatment of atopic dermatitis.
2000 John Koo, MD, PSORIASIS CENTER, DEPARTMENT OF DERMATOLOGY
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, SAN FRANCISCO, CA
Assisted with clinical trials for the treatment for psoriasis and atopic dermatitis.
1997-2000 Timothy Flanigan, MD, DIVISION OF INFECTIOUS DISEASE
BROWN UNIVERSITY, PROVIDENCE, RI
Examined risk factors for criminal incarceration among a cohort of HIV+ and high-risk HIV- women.
1997 William Cioffi, MD and Irshad Chaudry, SHOCK AND TRAUMA SURGERY LABORATORY BROWN UNIVERSITY, PROVIDENCE, RI
Investigated the role of the skin in the hemorrhagic shock cytokine response in mice.
1994-1995 Robert Valentini, MD, PhD ARTIFICIAL ORGANS AND BIOMATERIALS LABORATORY
BROWN UNIVERSITY, PROVIDENCE, RI
Manufactured a polymer nerve guidance channel drug delivery system to enhance peripheral nerve regeneration in vivo.
1992-1994 Hong Fong Mark, MD, CYTOGENETICS LABORATORY
RHODE ISLAND HOSPITAL, PROVIDENCE, RI
Developed a fluorescent in situ hybridization assay for detecting chromosomal abnormalities in human sperm cells.
- Marchetti M and Sheu M: The sign of Lesser Trelat: an unusual presentation of male breast cancer. Submitted.
- Sheu M, Simpson E, Sandra Law and Storrs F: Allergic contact dermatitis from a natural deodorant: a report of 4 cases associated with lichen allergy mix. JAAD 2006; 55(2) 332-337.
- Fowler AJ, Sheu M, Schmuth M, Kao J, Fluhr JW, Rhein L, Collins JL, Willson TM, Mangelsdorf DJ, Elias PM, Feingold KR. Liver X receptor activators display anti-inflammatory activity in irritant and allergic contact dermatitis models: liver-X-receptor-specific inhibition of inflammation and primary cytokine production. J Invest Dermatol 2003;120(2): 246-55.
- Sheu M, Hogan J, Allsworth J, Stein M, Vlahov D, Schoenbaum EE, Schuman P, Gardner L, Flanigan T. Continuity of medical care and risk of incarceration in HIV-positive and high-risk HIV-negative women. J Womens Health 2002; 11(8):743-50.
- Chamlin SL, Kao J, Frieden IJ, Sheu MY, Fowler AJ, Fluhr JW, Williams ML, Elias PM. Ceramide-dominant barrier repair lipids alleviate childhood atopic dermatitis: changes in barrier function provide a sensitive indicator of disease activity. JAAD 2002; 47(2):198-208.
- Sheu M, Fauteux G, Chang H, Taylor W, Stopa E, Robinson-Bostom L. Sinus Pericranii: Dermatologic Considerations and Literature Review. JAAD 2002;46(6):934-41.
- Sheu MY, Fowler AJ, Kao J, Schmuth M, Schoonjans K, Auwerx J, Fluhr JW, Man MQ, Elias PM, Feingold KR. Topical peroxisome proliferator activated receptor-alpha activators reduce inflammation in irritant and allergic contact dermatitis models. J Invest Dermatol 2002;118(1): 94-101.
- Chamlin SL, Frieden IJ, Fowler A, Williams M, Kao J, Sheu M, Elias PM. Ceramide-dominant, barrier-repair lipids improve childhood atopic dermatitis. Arch Dermatol 2001;137(8): 1110-2.
- Sheu M, Koo J. Update on the Use of Retinoids in the Chemoprevention and Treatment of Skin Cancer. International Journal of Dermatology. Accepted October 26, 2000.
- Sheu M, Koo J. Corticosteroids and Risk of Rebound and Pustular Conversion in Psoriasis. Psoriasis Forum, Fall 2000.
- Mark HF, Sheu M, Lopes L, Campagnone J, Takezawa K, Santoro K, Sigman M. Towards the development of a fluorescent in situ hybridization based genotoxicologic assay for aneuploidy in sperm. Cytobios 1995;82:171-180.
Activities & Honors
- Preceptorship Award, American Society for Dermatologic Surgery, 2004
- Outstanding Medical Student Ranking, Brown School of Medicine, 2001
- Community Service Leadership Award, 1996
- Program in Liberal Medical Education Research Assistantship Award, 1995
- Program in Liberal Medical Education Research Assistantship Award, 1994
- American Academy of Dermatology
- American Society of Dermatologic Surgery
- Maryland Dermatologic Society
- Clinical Instructor, Johns Hopkins School od Medicine Department of Dermatology
- Dermatologist, Menlo Medical Clinic
Videos & Media
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
“Sunscreen is valuable, but different types produce different results,” The Washington Post, June 17, 2013