I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Katherine Brown Puttgen, M.D.
Division Chief, Pediatric Dermatology
Associate Professor of Dermatology
Expertise: Acne, Atopic Dermatitis, Birthmarks, Cutaneous Laser Surgery, Dermatology, Hidradenitis, Hyperhidrosis, Infantile Hemangiomas, Pediatric Dermatology, Psoriasis, Vascular Malformations ...read more
Research Interests: Laser surgery; Acne; Atopic dermatitis; Hemangiomas and vascular malformations; Infantile hemangiomas
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Pediatrics
Appointment Phone: 410-955-5933
200 N. Wolfe Street
Rubenstein Child Health Building
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Johns Hopkins Medicine - Green Spring Station
Appointment Phone: 410-955-5933
10755 Falls Road
Pavilion I Suite 350
Lutherville, MD 21093 map
Dr. Katherine Brown Püttgen is an Assistant Professor of Dermatology and Pediatrics at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. She is the Division Chief Pediatric Dermatology at Johns Hopkins and is the fellowship director of the pediatric dermatology training program. Dr. Püttgen is board certified in dermatology and sub-specialty boarded in pediatric dermatology by the American Board of Dermatology.
Dr. Püttgen graduated summa cum laude from the University of the South in Sewanee, Tennessee, and earned her medical doctorate at Emory University School of Medicine. She completed her dermatology residency training at the Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University, where she served as chief resident. She then completed her fellowship in pediatric dermatology at Johns Hopkins, serving as the inaugural fellow of the program. She joined the faculty after completing her fellowship in 2008.
She is the Co-Director of the Johns Hopkins Vascular Anomalies Group, which manages patients with complex vascular malformations and tumors. Her interests and expertise include vascular anomalies including infantile hemangiomas and port-wine stains; inflammatory skin disorders, such as eczema and psoriasis, pigmented lesions (moles); lichen sclerosus; acne; neonatal dermatology; and hyperhidrosis (increased sweating). She is a nationally recognized expert in laser and surgical treatments for pediatric dermatology patients.
Dr. Püttgen is a diplomate of the American Board of Dermatology, a fellow of the American Academy of Dermatology, an active member of the Society for Pediatric Dermatology, the International Society for the Study of Vascular Anomalies (ISSVA) and the Women’s Dermatologic Society. She has published numerous peer-reviewed articles and written several book chapters on topics in pediatric and general dermatology. She has been an invited lecturer nationally and internationally to pediatricians, dermatologists and the lay community, and enjoys community outreach efforts.
- Division Chief, Pediatric Dermatology
- Fellowship Director, Pediatric Dermatology
- Co-Director, Johns Hopkins Vascular Anomalies Center
- Associate Professor of Dermatology
Centers & Institutes
- Johns Hopkins Children's Center
- Vascular Anomalies Center, Johns Hopkins
- MD, Emory University School of Medicine (2003)
- Rhode Island Hospital / Dermatology (2007)
- American Board of Dermatology / Dermatology (2007)
- American Board of Dermatology / Pediatric Dermatology (2008)
Fellowship, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Department of Dermatology / Pediatric Dermatology (2008)
Research & Publications
Dr. Puttgen’s research focuses on the treatment of all types of vascular birthmarks, especially infantile hemangiomas and port wine stains.
Technology Expertise KeywordsPulsed dye laser (PDL); Nd:YAG laser; carbon dioxide laser (fractionated ablative and continuous wave); Q-switched Alexandrite laser; long pulsed Alexandrite laser
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Püttgen KB. "Diagnosis and management of infantile hemangiomas." Pediatr Clin North Am. 2014 Apr;61(2):383-402. doi: 10.1016/j.pcl.2013.11.010. Epub 2014 Feb 18. Review.
Bauman NM, McCarter RJ, Guzzetta PC, Shin JJ, Oh AK, Preciado DA, He J, Greene EA, Puttgen KB. "Propranolol vs prednisolone for symptomatic proliferating infantile hemangiomas: a randomized clinical trial." JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2014 Apr;140(4):323-30. doi: 10.1001/jamaoto.2013.6723.
Puttgen KB, Summerer B, Schneider J, Cohen BA, Boss EF, Bauman NM. "Cardiovascular and blood glucose parameters in infants during propranolol initiation for treatment of symptomatic infantile hemangiomas." Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2013 Sep;122(9):550-4.
Marqueling AL, Oza V, Frieden IJ, Puttgen KB. "Propranolol and infantile hemangiomas four years later: a systematic review." Pediatr Dermatol. 2013 Mar-Apr;30(2):182-91. doi: 10.1111/pde.12089. Epub 2013 Feb 14. Review.
Drolet BA, Frommelt PC, Chamlin SL, Haggstrom A, Bauman NM, Chiu YE, Chun RH, Garzon MC, Holland KE, Liberman L, MacLellan-Tobert S, Mancini AJ, Metry D, Puttgen KB, Seefeldt M, Sidbury R, Ward KM, Blei F, Baselga E, Cassidy L, Darrow DH, Joachim S, Kwon EK, Martin K, Perkins J, Siegel DH, Boucek RJ, Frieden IJ. "Initiation and use of propranolol for infantile hemangioma: report of a consensus conference." Pediatrics. 2013 Jan;131(1):128-40. doi: 10.1542/peds.2012-1691. Epub 2012 Dec 24. Review.
Contact for Research Inquiries
Activities & Honors
- Top 10 Doctors Under 40, Baltimore Sun Magazine, 2010
- Attending of the Year, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 2008 - 2009
- Haffenreffer House Staff Excellence Award Recipient, Rhode Island Hospital, 2007
- Deans’ Teaching Award, Brown Medical School, 2007
- Summa Cum Laude, University of the South, 1999
- Phi Beta Kappa, 1998
- Benedict Scholar, University of the South, 1995 - 1999
- Going the Extra Mile Award, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine Department of Dermatology, 2011 - 2012
- Hemangioma Investigator Group, invited member, 2013
- Baltimore's Top Doctors, Baltimore Magazine, 2015
- Going the Extra Mile Award, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine Department of Dermatology, 2015 - 2016
- American Academy of Dermatology, 2004
- Maryland Dermatologic Society, 2008
- Society for Pediatric Dermatology, 2007
- Women's Dermatologic Society, 2005
- Co-Coordinator, Johns Hopkins, 0
- Co-Director, Johns Hopkins University, 2008
- Director, The Johns Hopkins University, 2011
- Faculty Senate Representative, Johns Hopkins University, 2010