I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Donna Maria Neale, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Gynecology and Obstetrics
Expertise: Gynecology and Obstetrics, Maternal and Fetal Medicine, Multiple Gestations, Obstetrics, Pregnancy and Childbirth, Women's Reproductive Health ...read more
Research Interests: gestational diabetes; preeclampsia
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Howard County General Hospital
Appointment Phone: 410-740-7890
11065 Little Patuxent Parkway
Columbia, MD 21044 map
Dr. Donna Neale is an assistant professor in the Johns Hopkins Medicine Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics and director of the Center for Maternal and Fetal Medicine at Howard County General Hospital. Her areas of clinical expertise include high-risk pregnancies, labor and delivery and gestational diabetes.
Dr. Neale received her undergraduate degree in human biology from Brown University. She earned her M.D. from Boston University School of Medicine. She completed her residency in obstetrics and gynecology at Georgetown University Hospital and went on to perform a fellowship in maternal-fetal medicine at Yale University School of Medicine. Dr. Neale joined the Johns Hopkins faculty in 2005.
Dr. Neale serves as a reviewer for several medical journals including, Ultrasound in Obstetrics & Gynecology, American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology and Journal of Maternal-Fetal and Neonatal Medicine. Dr. Neale is a member of the National Medical Association and a fellow of the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.
- Assistant Professor of Gynecology and Obstetrics
Centers & Institutes
- MD, Boston University School of Medicine (1990)
- Georgetown University School of Medicine / Obstetrics and Gynecology (1994)
- Yale University School of Medicine / Maternal & Fetal Medicine (2002)
- American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology / Maternal and Fetal Medicine (2004)
- American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology / Obstetrics And Gynecology (1996)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Utilization of primary and obstetric care after medically complicated pregnancies: an analysis of medical claims data. Bennett WL, Chang HY, Levine DM, Wang L, Neale D, Werner EF, Clark JM. J Gen Intern Med. 2014 Apr;29(4):636-45. PMID 24474651
Latimer K, Neale D. Autoimmune Diseases in Pregnancy, Johns Hopkins Manual of Genecology and Obstetrics 2013.
Khan MJ, Neale DM. Progesterone for the prevention of preterm birth. Postgraduate Obstetrics & Gynecology 2012 March; 32(6): 1-5.
Witkop CT, Neale DM, Wilson LM, Bass EB, Nicholson WK. Active compared with expectant delivery management in women with gestational diabetes: a systematic review. Obstet Gynecol 2009 Jan; 113(1): 206-17.
Nicholson W, Bolen S, Witkop CT, Neale DM, Wilson L, Bass E. Benefits and risks of oral diabetes agents compared with insulin in women with gestational diabetes: a systematic review. Obstet Gynecol 2009 Jan; 113(1): 193-205.
Nicholson WK, Wilson LM, Witkop CT, Baptiste-Roberts K, Bennett WL, Bolen S, Barone BB, Golden SH, Gary TL, Neale DM, Bass EB. Therapeutic management, delivery, and postpartum risk assessment and screening in gestational diabetes. Evid Rep Technol Assess (Full Rep). 2008 Mar;(162):1-96.
Neale DM, Cootauco AC, Burrow G. Thyroid disease in pregnancy. Clin Perinatol. 2007 Dec;34(4):543-57, v-vi. Review
Small M, Blanc, C, Frederic, R, Neale D, Williams K, Kershaw T. Preeclampsia/eclampsia related maternal mortality in rural Haiti, The Journal of Maternal-Fetal and Neonatal Medicine 2005 Nov; 18(5); 343-348.
Neale D, Mor, G. The role of Fas mediated apoptosis in preeclampsia. J. Perinat Med, 2005;33:471-477.
Activities & Honors
- Emerging Women’s Leadership Program
- Patient Recognition, March of Dimes, 2010
- Patient Recognition, National Doctor's Day, 2010
- Patient Recognition, National Doctor's Day, 2009
- Scholarship Award B, Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine/American Association of Obstetricians and Gynecologists Foundation, 2004 - 2007
- The Ethel F. Donaghue Women’s Health Investigator Program at Yale Award
- Research Award, Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine, 2003
- Research Award, Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine, 2002
- Maternal-Fetal Medicine Senior Award, Georgetown University Hospital, 1994
- National Institutes of Health Summer Fellowship, Outstanding Young Woman of America, Boston University School of Medicine
- Gilbane Scholar- Dean’s Award to Outstanding Senior, Brown University
Videos & Media
High Risk Pregnancy Indicators and Diagnosis (Q&A)
Weight Gain and Pregnancy (Q&A)
Diabetes and Pregnancy (Q&A)
Cesarean Sections (C-Sections): When They are Needed, How to Prevent Them (Q&A)