I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Ashley Behrens, M.D.
Chief, Division of Comprehensive Ophthalmology
Associate Professor of Ophthalmology
Languages: English, German, Spanish
Expertise: Cataracts, Cornea/Anterior Segment Disease, Corneal Diseases, Corneal Dystrophies, External Diseases of the Eye, Fuchs Dystrophy of the Cornea, Laser Surgery, Ophthalmology, Refractive Surgery ...read more
Research Interests: Surgery of the Cornea; Cataract Surgery; Dry Eye; Refractive Surgery; Infections of the Eye; Infections of the Cornea ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital
APPOINTMENT PHONE: 410-955-5080
600 N. Wolfe Street Wilmer Eye Institute Baltimore, MD 21287
Ashley Behrens, M.D., is an associate professor of ophthalmology and chief of the comprehensive ophthalmology division at the Wilmer Eye Institute. He specializes in the medical and surgical management of cataracts and corneal diseases, including corneal transplantation techniques for Fuchs’ dystrophy and keratoconus, as well as LASIK, PRK and refractive lens exchange.
Dr. Behrens received his medical degree from the Universidad Central de Venezuela in Caracas, and completed his ophthalmology residency and fellowship training at the Francisco Risquez Hospital. He completed additional fellowships at the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg in Germany, where he obtained his German Doctorate with Magna Cum Laude Distinction, and then at the University of Southern California and the University of California, Irvine. Dr. Behrens joined the Wilmer faculty in 2003, and served as executive medical director at the King Khaled Eye Specialist Hospital (KKESH), Wilmer’s affiliate hospital in Saudi Arabia, from July 2010 through August 2014.
- Chief, Division of Comprehensive Ophthalmology
- Associate Professor of Ophthalmology
Departments / Divisions
Centers & Institutes
- MD, Universidad Central De Venezuela (1990)
- Francisco A Risquez Hospital / Ophthalmology (1995)
- Francisco A Risquez Hospital / Cornea External Diseases & Refractive Surgery (1996)
- University of Erlangen / Cornea and Refractive Surgery (1999)
- University of Southern California / Cornea and Refractive Surgery (2000)
Research & Publications
Activities & Honors
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
- International Society of Refractive Surgery
- Pan American Association of Ophthalmology
- Research to Prevent Blindness
- Technology Opportunities Program, JHU
- Venezuelan Society of Ophthalmology