I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
William Checkley, M.D., Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Medicine
Languages: English, Spanish
Expertise: Critical Care Medicine, Epidemiology, Intensive Care, Pulmonary Disease, Pulmonary Disease and Critical Care Medicine, Pulmonary Diseases ...read more
Research Interests: Acute lung injury; Mechanical ventilation; Epidemiology; International lung health
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 410-550-5864
4940 Eastern Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
8600 Old Georgetown Road
Bethesda, MD 20814 map
Dr. William Checkley is an assistant professor of medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and has a joint appointment in Department of International Health at the Bloomberg School of Public Health. His areas of clinical expertise include epidemiology, pulmonary disease and critical care medicine. Dr. Checkley also serves as the medical director for Johns Hopkins International.
Dr. Checkley earned his M.D. from Northwestern University and received his Ph.D. from Johns Hopkins University. He completed his internal medicine residency training at Emory University and fellowship training in pulmonary and critical care medicine at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.
His research interests include International lung health, epidemiology, mechanical ventilation and acute lung injury.
Dr. Checkley has been recognized by the National Institute of Health with the 2007 Post-doctoral National Research Service Award and the 2009 Pathway to Independence Career Award. He is certified in pulmonary disease and internal medicine by the American Board of Internal Medicine.
- Associate Professor of Medicine
Departments / Divisions
Centers & Institutes
- MD, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine (2003)
- Emory University School of Medicine / Internal Medicine (2005)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine (2008)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Critical Care Medicine (2015)
- American Board of Internal Medicine / Pulmonary Disease (2010)
Research & Publications
Dr. Checkley’s research interests include the epidemiology of obstructive lung diseases in children and adults, studies of lung function and physiology, studies of the interactions between nutrition and infection, and critical care epidemiology—specifically studies of acute lung injury.
Lab Website: William Checkley Lab
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
- Ruiz-Grosso P, Bernabe-Ortiz A, Diez-Canseco F, Gilman RH, Checkley W, Bennett IM, Miranda JJ; CRONICAS Cohort Study Group. "Depressive Mood Among Within-Country Migrants in Periurban Shantytowns of Lima, Peru." J Immigr Minor Health. 2014 Nov 4.
- Richard SA, McCormick BJ, Miller MA, Caulfield LE, Checkley W; MAL-ED Network Investigators. "Modeling environmental influences on child growth in the MAL-ED cohort study: opportunities and challenges." Clin Infect Dis. 2014 Nov 1;59 Suppl 4:S255-60. doi: 10.1093/cid/ciu436.
- Platts-Mills JA, McCormick BJ, Kosek M, Pan WK, Checkley W, Houpt ER; MAL-ED Network Investigators. "Methods of analysis of enteropathogen infection in the MAL-ED Cohort Study." Clin Infect Dis. 2014 Nov 1;59 Suppl 4:S233-8. doi: 10.1093/cid/ciu408.
- Richard SA, Barrett LJ, Guerrant RL, Checkley W, Miller MA; MAL-ED Network Investigators. "Disease surveillance methods used in the 8-site MAL-ED cohort study." Clin Infect Dis. 2014 Nov 1;59 Suppl 4:S220-4. doi: 10.1093/cid/ciu435.
- Rhodes EL, Dreibelbis R, Klasen EM, Naithani N, Baliddawa J, Menya D, Khatry S, Levy S, Tielsch JM, Miranda JJ, Kennedy C, Checkley W. "Behavioral attitudes and preferences in cooking practices with traditional open-fire stoves in peru, Nepal, and Kenya: implications for improved cookstove interventions." Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2014 Oct 3;11(10):10310-26. doi: 10.3390/ijerph111010310.
Contact for Research Inquiries
600 N. Wolfe Street
Baltimore, MD 21205 map
Activities & Honors
- Pathway to Independence Career Award, National Institutes of Health, 2009
- Clinician Scientist Award, Johns Hopkins University, 2009
- ATS fellow career development award, 2007
- Post-doctoral National Research Service Award, National Institutes of Health, 2007
- Delta Omega Honors Society, Alpha Chapter, Johns Hopkins University, 2002
- First Place in Applied Research and Grand Prize, Annual Delta Omega Honors Society Scientific Competition, Johns Hopkins University, 2001
- Best poster presentation in epidemiology, VIII Congress of Public Health, National Institute of Public Health, 1999
- Pre-doctoral National Research Service Award, National Institutes of Health, 1998
- First Place in Applied Research, Annual Delta Omega Honors Society Scientific Competition, Johns Hopkins University, 1998